Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

How do you remove this clip?

Hey guys. I want to leave the wind deflector and headrest meshes off my car. I'd like to remove the deflector clips, so they're not sticking out like a couple of sore thumbs. Any idea how to remove these?

HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I think you have to remove the roll bar pads first. Then drill out the rivets holding the brackets onto the roll bar. I plan on doing this in the spring.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Held on by rivet, huh. how wonderfully inconvenient. If it's that much trouble, I wonder if they could just be broken off from the outside. Part of the rivet would likely fall into the roll bar, But I doubt it would create a rattle.
HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

They are a snap to remove. Start by pulling the roll bar pads off beginning at one end. They take a strong tug to get them started. Once they are off an electric drill will make quick work of the aluminium pop rivets and off they come. Snap the roll bar pads back into place using the existing fasteners and you are done. 1 hour start to finish with a beer break in the middle.

Mike
ammonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
Start by pulling the roll bar pads off beginning at one end. ... Snap the roll bar pads back into place using the existing fasteners and you are done.
+1 I take the roll bar pads on and off when I put my B-K roll bar extension bar on for track days. Very easy to do. I bought some of the extra little clips that the roll bar pad studs go into, part #9 on this diagram:

Wind Deflector And Linings Roll-over Bar

I didn't really need to use them but I used one or two anyway since I had them.

When you pull off the roll bar pad, these fasteners will either stay in the rollbar, or come off on the stud. If it comes off on the stud, you can just thread it off.

When it is time to put the roll bar pad back into the car, put the clips in the holes, then line up the roll bar pad studs over the hole, gently get them started, and then pop the pad with the heel of you hand to pop it in.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Perfectionist

I am replacing my deflector broken clips on the roll bar today. However I am concerned if the remains of the drilled out rivers inside the roll bar will cause any rattling sound.

Anyone else have done it?
Thanks
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIam View Post
I wonder if they could just be broken off from the outside.
Don't be a hack.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
I am replacing my deflector broken clips on the roll bar today. However I am concerned if the remains of the drilled out rivers inside the roll bar will cause any rattling sound.

Anyone else have done it?
Thanks
I drilled mine out to remove the bracket. You will never hear that little piece that falls in rattle don't worry about it
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Perfectionist

Thanks for the helped.
I have drilled both sides out and replaced both clip mounts which were broken.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote