Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #1

Door lock failure

Hi all

On my list of future fixes for my base '97 is to have doorlocks that works as as they should.
Not dreaming of remote control. Just that I can open both doors when I unlock driver door.

What I have today.

Key in driver door:
- can unlock and lock driver door only.
- but only if passenger door allready is locked.

Key in passenger door:
- can lock and unlock both doors and fuel lid as well

So my logic says that something is wrong with driver door lock..
Any suggestions?

Geir Nordvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #2

Garage
You will probably need to replace the driver door latch. There is a sensor in the lock which is worn or the tab on the handle.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

You have a key lock in your passenger door?
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Most likely there is a failure within the door latch mechanism. Here's a video of how to remove/replace the latch. Note that the VW part number used in that video did not work correctly and would be wrong for a 1997 model anyway.

Here is a video that shows the repair of the internal parts of the latch. It is very likely that yours has a cracked solder joint and can be repaired by re-flowing the solder.

Another POSSIBILITY is that your car has the central locking system from an early UK model car (or ROW car if your car is the UK model). The passenger side door would be functioning as the driver's door. This is just a guess after reading a few things in the 1997 owner's manual:
Quote:
Central locking in cars with alarm systems "...Both car doors, the levers for unlocking front and rear hood, and filler cap can be centrally unlocked or locked with the remote control or by using the key at the driver's door."
It specifically says driver's door only, where on the cars without an alarm system it states that the key may be used in either door for that function.

Last edited by 78F350; 10-08-2021 at 11:02 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #5

Thanks for all input.
I will study the videos. My car is an US car that is imported here to Norway. My car has key locks on both doors. Alarmsystem, if it has one, is unknown to me. I have no remote senders in my keys as I know. Could be that they are not originals. Remote is not important for me. Only that the keys work ok.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Another POSSIBILITY is that your car has the central locking system from an early UK model car (or ROW car if your car is the UK model). The passenger side door would be functioning as the driver's door. This is just a guess after reading a few things in the 1997 owner's manual:

It specifically says driver's door only, where on the cars without an alarm system it states that the key may be used in either door for that function.
This is an interesting input. I have gone trough the repair log from earlier owner and can see that he has paid for at least two CLS units before.. If the CLS in the car is from an car with right side steering wheel, it could explain the problem with my doors. The passenger door works perfect if my car had the steering wheel on that side.

In a perfect world, would it be an easy task for my Porsche shop to just program the CLS to change area. If not, I suppose I need tho change the whole system with keys and everything..
Old 02-08-2023, 06:36 AM   #7

It may be possible for your Porsche shop to program the central locking system (CLS) to match the correct side of the steering wheel, but it depends on the specific system and its capabilities. If the CLS unit is from an early UK or ROW model with the steering wheel on the right side, it may require replacing the entire system, including the keys, to match the steering wheel on the left side. It would be best to consult with a professional Porsche technician or locksmith North Woolwich to determine the best course of action.

Last edited by Jose Walsh; 02-09-2023 at 04:17 AM.
Jose Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:36 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Team/All just following up having read all the posts. 5 days and locked out of the car - fob did not work, turning the key did not work/turning to lower the windows did not work.
Called out an auto lock smith.
Took 45 mins and first attempts pulling the door handles did not work. Second attempt - having again ballooned the window - taped the ignition key on the end of another rod and managed to turn on - to hard to get a purchase on the window buttons to press down and using a second rod to hit the central locking button on the****dash****- & opened****it.

Hope this helps.
On another note the engine light has been on for 4 years and 3 trips to garages - P numbers came up as co2 censure changed 600 mile latter comes on again - same P numbers this time change air mas censure - same again comes back on - at 1.800 revs stutters and learned to go gentle going up to 200 revs when driving! did a smoke test and no leaks could be found... Any help explaining/fix would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sid - Aka - UK is offline   Reply With Quote