Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #1

Question Question on Convertible Top fabric choices.

Not wanting to hijack other users threads, I decided to start a new one. I plan on ordering a new glass window top for the wife's 99' Boxster in a couple of weeks. I will probably do the install myself to save money for other needed upgrades and repairs. It seems that most people like the GAHH or Robbins tops, but others have ordered other brands as well. Depending on price, there are of course several fabric choices to choose from.

That being said, I want to stick with the German A5 cloth, however there still seems to be a few variations with the A5 offerings! The Robbins website states that the Sonnenland A5 Singed German Cloth is the correct fabric for the Boxster. While others seem to offer just the standard A5 fabric. Lastly, one company offers a top with the Sonnenland A5B/DS acoustic fabric. The Haartz website states that the A5B/DS is also correct for the Boxster.

I know I'm probably nit-picking here, but I do want to make a choice I will be happy with (the wife could'nt care less, LOL). So I am looking for opinions and feedback on the different A5 fabric choices. So lets here them!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Bumped for freshness.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Garage
My SWAG is that A5 is the standard cloth used for Porsches and the others are variations of A5. All can state their cloth is the standard because all consist of A5.
I chose GAAH because I heard fewer complaints about their tops and most importantly got a killer deal on a glass window one on eBay. It has been on my '99 Boxster for three years, I clean it two to three times a year with Raggtopp and spray the Raggtopp protective coating on after cleaning. It still looks new and I've had no issues with it.

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote