Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #1

smog check station in San Diego

Hi, all. My son is at UCSD with our trusty VW Passat. He has to take it for a smog check. Can you folks recommend a reliable smog station in San Diego or the La Jolla area? This is not really 986 related but BruceLee hangs out here and he should know of a good station. TIA

Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #2

There's a place called "G Win Auto Repair" on Miramar Road that I take all my cars to. If your son heads down Miramar Road he'll make a U-turn at the light where the Carl's Jr. is (Commerce St. I think). He'll make a right turn almost immediately into a bunch of auto shops and see it at the end of the cul-de-sac. It's a bunch of Chinese and Vietnamese people working there with choppy English, but they know their stuff so don't let that scare you.

I had one of the major chains fail my Toyota back in the day, then I took it to G. Win and they told me that the car passed smog just fine. I was pretty pissed at Precision Tune, let me tell you!

This is about a ten minute drive east of UCSD at most. Even if your son doesn't go to this place, he'll notice a ton of smog check stations all along Miramar Road.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #3

That's really funny you go there Eslai, I just had my BMW smogged there as a repeat customer (I think it's the same place).

It's cheap for sure (20 bucks I think) and the gal working the counter wasn't bad looking in that asian-gal-with-too-much-foundation-makeup-on-and-5inch-high-heels-to-make-her-5'2" sort of way.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:28 AM   #4

Mira Mar Rd. has a number of reputable shops.

BTW-The smog fee should be in the mid 30 dollar range and up, plus $8 to report to DMV. Anything lower than that I would be suspicious.

Make sure to get a hard copy of the report, even though this is supposed to go to DMV via computer.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Mira Mar Rd. has a number of reputable shops.

BTW-The smog fee should be in the mid 30 dollar range and up, plus $8 to report to DMV. Anything lower than that I would be suspicious.

Make sure to get a hard copy of the report, even though this is supposed to go to DMV via computer.

Thanks for your input, guys. I'll definitely tell my son to get a hard copy.