Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #1

Speaking of Battery Location

I have jumped into the relm of Boxster Hacks, and as I was pulling the instrument panel the other day to do the OBC hack, I began to wonder what would happen if there was a catastophic short in your electrical system (possibly in the dashboard) that resulted in a fire.

You may not be able to open your trunk and disconnect the battery in hopes of removing the source for the fire as with a traditional cable trunk release like my Suburban. Kinda far fetched, but made me reconsider messing around with the wire harness, at least for now........................

The only reason I thought of this was many years ago, for Homecomming my fraternity built a float for the parade on a 1975 Grand Safari station wagon. That night after the parade, as the float sat beteween the two fraternity houses, somehow the mass of chickewire shorted out the electrical system and caught fire. Since the entire float was covered in crept paper, you could watch the flames start and spread as the chicken wire heated up and burnt through. We could not slow it down even with copious amounts of beer, fire extinguishers, or water. As long as the battery was connceted, it kept rekindling the fire. Finally, one of our engineering buddies figured out to disconnect the battery. By then there was little left of the float. Kind of a funny memory and experience.

No. I'm not going to make a fraternity float out of my Boxster!

Is this car speeding the process of my latent neurotic behaviors???

Mark
San Antonio, Tx

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh98
my fraternity built a float
....and there lies the problem.

I wouldn't worry about it if you know what you are doing and make proper connections that are fully shielded. Just don't use chicken wire on the Porsche and everything will be alright.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #3

Hi,

Funny... my Fraternity (ATO) used to go about burning Homecoming Floats by connecting a battery to the chicken wire ...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
olly986

if you mess with the electrics or electronics it is always recommended to disconnect your battery anyway, a friend of mine had is battery going on fire on his 01 boxster and it wasn't pretty, batteries are quite small and 12 volts do not seem that much but believe me they are bombs if not handled properly, like any other batteries for that matter.