Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #21

1998 with completely dead battery

I read this entire thread and am still not clear. I too have a dead battery--I had surgery which took me out of things for two months. When I went to start it up, the car was completely dead.

This is the second battery, an Interstate, which I replaced about two years ago. I have no idea why this one died so quickly though I wonder if the lojack is the culprit.

Of course I can not get into the battery compartment in the front because the hood is locked.

I looked for a cable but didn't find it. Of course I was looking in the garage without a flashlight so I 'll try again.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Michael

mbdeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #22

I ended up having to take it in to have to have the hood poped. They jacked up the car and took off the wheel and the black plastic thing to get to the cable. It is probably somthing that most people could do, but I am just too dumb mechanically to do it myself. I even have to go to the dealer to have the oil changed! Good luck. As the others said, give it a shot, but if worse comes to worse, call AAA and get you Box over to the dealer to get it taken care of. FYI: If took them about 1.5 hours and ran just over $250 out the door. Good luck.
rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to ty99392
Drad battery

Would one of those battery packs that you plug into the cig. lighter work ? I have a plug that you also plug into the cig. light to keep the computer active, would that work ?

2002 boxster
1992 GMC Typhoon
2004 BMW R1150Rt
ty99392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #24

Yes, that should work. However, in my case it didn't because the battery was so far dead (and 9 years old!). I have one now that plus into the cig lighter that works great and only cost me $20 at Walmart. Give that a shot.

rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote