Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Possible Lemon?

I purschased 2006 Boxster on 3.11.06 @ Rockville Porsche/Audi, since then, the car's been in the shop total of 4 days (5th day after today) for various reasons. My question to people in this forum is, what qualifies a car for the lemon law? I am getting frustrated taking time out of my schedule going into the dealer 2-3 times a week. I love the car but I dont think i can deal with the nightmare, I want to get rid of this car soon...

FYI. Gil Felix (Service Advisor) @ Rockville Porsche is not very competent nor reliable in explaining anything to me when the car is in the shop even when I ask him questions.

MinK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #2

I don't believe there is a national so-called "Lemon Law".
You would most likely have to check into consumer protection laws in your state.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #3

What exactly is so wrong with your brand new Porsche that you want to dump it?

The lemon law is expensive to enforce and they only give you a fraction of what you paid, by the way. It's expensive because you must retain a lawyer.

I'd be in the general manager's office at the dealership and asking for a meeting with the PCA rep before I tried the lemon law thing.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #4

Lemon Laws are state specific as Ronzi pointed out. You can check with the Attorney General of you State. The criteria will be spelled out. Just had a friend go through this with her 2005 Mustang and will be getting a new 2006. The attonery general took care of the entire case. She received the entire amout paid for her car to appy to the new car. Took about two months to resolve no cost to her. You can get an attorney that will cost you and they always want to settle. Another friends expierence was not woth it to use the attorney.

Good luck and I would stay on them!!!!!!!!!!
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Googling "Auto Lemon Law" yields a bunch of state info, plus info on the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=116&did=748) which covers all sorts of consumer products with warrantys, not just autos.
Sorry for the misinfo.
In any event, I think Randall is right. That is a last resort, not the first one.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinK6
I purschased 2006 Boxster on 3.11.06 @ Rockville Porsche/Audi, since then, the car's been in the shop total of 4 days (5th day after today) for various reasons. My question to people in this forum is, what qualifies a car for the lemon law? I am getting frustrated taking time out of my schedule going into the dealer 2-3 times a week. I love the car but I dont think i can deal with the nightmare, I want to get rid of this car soon...

FYI. Gil Felix (Service Advisor) @ Rockville Porsche is not very competent nor reliable in explaining anything to me when the car is in the shop even when I ask him questions.
It definately varies by State. In general, however, it involves a certain amount of time in the shop. Colorado, for example, requires 30 days of repair. There is also usually some parameter involving cost of repair versus cost of vehicle. My guess is that you are nowhere near the level required - but I could be wrong.

I agree with my fellow Boxsterites, however, that you need to be a bit more specific on your complaints. I mean, are we talking stereo problems, replacing floor mats, or engine problems?

I also don't understand the "...not very competent nor reliable..." comment. Do you not know WHY your vehicle is in the shop? You paid good money for your car - you deserve any and all answers that you deem necessary. Sometimes that means that you keep saying "I'm sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean by that?" Keep pushing until you know EXACTLY what's going on.

Keep us informed....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
I took delivery on Mar 11 , have over 1000 trouble free miles,knock on wood..
I bet that "knock on wood" sound is a loose lifter or valve. I bet they can adjust that.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied...

The problem started coming out of the dealer. The car was sitting in the showroom, which i decided to buy. When i was driving away and turned on the radio, there was no sound. Notified the saleman, he tells me to bring it back into the dealer saying it should be just a blown fuse. I say okay and drive away (My Mistake). I get home, trying to study the car, open the cover where it houses the amp in the front, i notice the wiring to the amp is cut off. After repeated trips to the dealer (3 times) back and forth saying they need to order new parts etc, to get this problem fixed, i find out that my car is at Meyer Emco 20 miles away. Finally have the stereo fixed, come home, test it out, find out one of the the subwoofer is not working. thinking this is just a minor problem, i decide to hold off in taking the car in. But on sunday, after washing the car i decide to go for a drive, and start the car, i get a "System Failure, Visit workshop" Message on the dash. Dealer calls me today saying it needs a "module" replaced and needs one more day. I ask what that so called "module" is, they cant give me a clear explaination. I dont want to sound like an ass but this isnt the level of service or performance I expect when i buy a 50K+ car.

BTW i contacted somebody @ http://www.lemonlaw.com/mail.html and they told me i had a case and are just waiting for me to give them a go, but i dont know how reliable firm they are. I am running out of patience.
MinK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #9

First off - I'm sorry to hear about your problems. It sounds to me like this is really more of a dealer issue than a car issue. Yes, there are some problems but that's not all that unusual for a new car. I still think that you need to find out exactly what the problems are. "Module", in my mind, doesn't cut it.

I really don't think you need a lawyer or paid assistance to take care of this (but that's certainly up to you). In reviewing the Lemon Law for D.C., I don't think you have a case.

You can review your actual statute here: http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=371&scid=89

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #10

Warranty Enforcement Laws (Lemon Laws)

Laws in many states and federal law permit owners and/or lessees to
obtain a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase or lease price
under certain circumstances. The provisions of these laws vary from
state to state and vary from the federal law. To the extent allowed or
not prohibited by applicable law, Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
requires that you first provide Porsche Cars North America, Inc. itself
with direct written notification of any alleged unrepaired defect or
malfunction, or any other dissatisfaction you have experienced with your
vehicle so that Porsche Cars North America, Inc. itself has the
opportunity to cure the problem or dissatisfaction. Giving Porsche Cars
North America itself this direct notice and opportunity to cure enables
us to supplement prior efforts by our authorized dealers so any ongoing
problem can be resolved or the dissatisfaction addressed by us. In
states that have not enacted Lemon Laws, we also require, without
constituting any liability beyond the Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
new car warranty, that you give Porsche Cars North America, Inc. itself
direct written notice of any service difficulty you have experienced.
Written notifications, either required under an applicable Lemon Law or
other written notifications should be sent to Porsche Cars North
America, Inc., not one of our dealers, at:

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Attn: Customer Commitment
980 Hammond Drive
Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 3328

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #11

I guess I want to know why there were wires cut on a brand NEW Porsche? Perhaps you have a case of fraud vs. lemon law.

If it were me, I would have the salesman explaining why my BRAND NEW car had wires cut. Did you buy a BRAND NEW car.

Maybe the AG would want to know about this BRAND NEW car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote