Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #1

Garage
Buying Brakes and Rotors off Ebay

I was look around various sites because I was considering doing brakes pads and rotors since its been at least 30k since they have been changed. I came across an ebay seller called brakemotive76 that sells 4 drilled/slotted rotors and 8 ceramic pads for $192.61. This is on the extreme cheap end and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the overall quality of these types of parts. It comes with a 1 year warranty

jhiggi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

Why are you considering changing the pads and rotors just because they have done 30k?

Surly an inspection of each component is warranted before making a decision. Are the pads worn down to the sensors? Have the rotors a lip on he top circumference? If so, have you measured the thickness to see if they are still in spec?
Changing out all 4 brake rotors, pads, sensors, fluid etc. is not a cheap operation, especially if you use high quality parts....
Old 12-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

Garage
Sometimes if the price is too good to be true they are not to good. Try to find the best price on a name you heard of not just the best price. Zimmerman, Power Stop, Centric, and Hart, would be my choices in that order.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Garage
I paid about that much for a set year ago. It's only 200, so I figured I'll try.
Love them. I'm really happy with them and I drive rather aggressive
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggi83 View Post
I was look around various sites because I was considering doing brakes pads and rotors since its been at least 30k since they have been changed. I came across an ebay seller called brakemotive76 that sells 4 drilled/slotted rotors and 8 ceramic pads for $192.61. This is on the extreme cheap end and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the overall quality of these types of parts. It comes with a 1 year warranty
I purchased and installed this very set for my 99 and they are performing wonderfully now. Over a year. Approximately 20,000 miles on them now. I highly recommend them. Money well spent.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Why are you considering changing the pads and rotors just because they have done 30k?

Surly an inspection of each component is warranted before making a decision. Are the pads worn down to the sensors? Have the rotors a lip on he top circumference? If so, have you measured the thickness to see if they are still in spec?
Changing out all 4 brake rotors, pads, sensors, fluid etc. is not a cheap operation, especially if you use high quality parts....
Steve Tinker. Why would you go the distance to change out EVERYTHING. I've done brakes on several brands of cars for decades and never changed the brake fluid, sensors, etc...just the pads and sometimes the rotors when they needed to be due to fading and/or cracking or worn below tolerance. Changing brakes is cheap and relatively easy.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

I purchased the same set earlier this year as well and am happy with the quality. Can't be beat for the price.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks Ill give them a try. Im changing them out because I know they haven't been done in the last 30,000 miles and I have no record of them ever being changed. Im all about proactive maintenance rather than reactive. I might do the AOS too just to be safe.
jhiggi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #9

I also replaced my brakes and rotors with the power stop kit sold online. the kit came with drilled and slotted rotors ceramic pads and new sensors. my overall impression is they are excellent. they don't squeal at all, and they don't dust up my wheels like the brembo pads which were installed. my car is not a track car, but a daily driver, so I don't have any answers on the prolonged habits which would be encountered by a track car, but my overall impression is extremely favorable.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #10

Reference rotors and brake pads

I changed my rotors, brake pads and brake sensors a few years back. I've probably put on over 70,000 miles since the complete brake job.

I purchased all my parts from RockAuto except for a brake parts kit (extra springs, nuts & bolts for the calibers) from Pelican Parts. I always look up what I need using Pelican Parts and then go to RockAuto to purchase the parts at a greatly reduced price.

All four rotors, new pads and sensors cost less than $170. I've did the work myself and I've had no problems.

I also would not do any brake work other than changing out the brake fluid unless my brake wear sensors went off.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post

Good reminder at this end - thanks for the wake-up call

Haven't got my brake checked for a while and 'soon' would be about right to get those items checked. Haven't changed the fluid for over 5 years.... must be half water and half fluid by now :/

Went out to the garage a few min ago and touched the front rotor... there is a lip there I don't like. No idea what the thinness specs are for my rotors but I'm sure my indy here knows all about brakes. Arggg cost cost cost....... lol
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

Min thickness of front rotors = 20mm
ditto rear = 18mm

You have to use a micrometer to check the thickness as you can't get a vernier over the lip....

The problem not changing brake fluid is its absorption of moisture from the air - not good for master & slave cylinder bores & pistons especially in a high humidity climate....