Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #1

Rust on Brake Rotors - Normal?

My 2005 Boxster is pretty close to new (500 miles on it), but it is over a year old. I noticed that when I wash the wheels, some rust shows up on the brake rotors. After driving a bit, it rubs off. I took a closer look at it and it looks like the metal part just behind the rotor has rust on it, which subsequently leaks through the holes in the rotor when wet.

Is this normal or a problem??

drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #2

Thats normal Should try to wipe off rotors when you can after washing...

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #3

Totally normal. Driving makes the rotor clean.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
My 2005 Boxster is pretty close to new (500 miles on it), but it is over a year old.....

...Is this normal or a problem??
I think this is a SERIOUS problem. A 1 year old Boxster with only 500 miles? That rust is telling you that your Box is unhappy and needs to go hit some twistees....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #5

To my defense on the low mileage, I have only had the car for two weeks. It was purchased as a Chrysler fleet car a year ago and they sat on it then sold it recently through their dealer network.

The mileage will quickly start accumulating now. Hard to keep it in the garage, especially as the nice weather starts to come
Old 03-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #6

This thread reminds me of myself so much it hurts!

With every single OTHER car I have driven in my life, the brake discs show light rust after a rainstorm and a pool of water collects under the car from the AC condensation... but I ignored it.

But NOOOOOOO, not now! I have a Porsche and every little normal thing that cars do, including burning a little oil, tire pressure, running a tad hot on warm days freaks me out and causes me to question the car's overall health.

(DrBurton, I do not say any of this to poke at you. It's all about me in this post. Your thread just reminded me of my first nervous weeks of Porsche ownership!)

Two years into owning this Boxster, and lots of repairs and learning my way around the car, nothing seems to bug me any more. Even CE or airbag lights. I think I've settled in.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #7

Yep, I'm overly sensitive right now about the car. I would probably have a heart attack if something really happened to it. I'm also a bit sensitive b/c of this whole Chrysler Fleet car thing. The car's history (ie first 300 miles) is very vague. Why did they have it for only 300 miles? Did they take it apart for competitive reasons etc..? Was it sitting outside, not being driven for a year? That 'unknown' makes me worried about potential problems.

I'll get over it soon. I hope.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #8

Rust on the breaks?? Thats bad. I say get ride of it quick. In fact since you are a 986forum member, I'll take the problem off your hands for a generous $100.00 and I'll pay for shipping too. :dance:
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #9

Get some Michelin Brake Dust Repellent and spray it onto a towel. When the wheels and rotors are cold wipe the Repellent on that center area of the rotor, wheels and the front of the brake caliper. Don't get any on the actuall rotor itself or the brake pads.
With my old car I used to scrubb off the rust from the center rotor with a small wire brush and paint it with a spray can of silver high temp paint and primer using a paint brush. It held up for a couple of months usually.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #10

FYI- Great weather in Chicago today and as I went to drop the top...NOTHING! Noticed the red brake warning light not coming on and figured it was a faulty switch. WELL...a minute into my drive I was bored and started pulling...slowly.. the hand brake up and POP!!! There was a loud pop noise from the rear of the car and the red brake light came on! Pulled over and the top dropped!

Conclusion- When I park I rarely use my parking brake. I put the car in gear to prevent rolling. The parking brake was rusted/stuck. I don't know exactly how the parking brake works, but I think in order for the red brake light to come on the brake must be in contact with the rotor????!!!!!?!?! So...I will now use the parking brake more frequently to prevent any type of lockup!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
olly986

washed the car 3 weeks ago and haven't touch it since last tuesday, first it would not start as the battery was knackered, after a quick charge it started but the brakes were hard solid from the rust so had to accelerate a bit and there was big clung noises and everything was back to normal, do not leave you hand brake on if possible specially after cleaning your car, put it in gear and you will not have any stuck brake problems
the rusted discs are part of Porsches life, it is apparently due to the metal used, nothing to worry about.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #12

Knackered?

Every time one of my friends from the UK opens his mouth I hear words I do not understand. It's like you make them up in private and hold their meaning hostage to us Yanks.

Quit being a dilbert (see, we can do it too if we like) and tell me what "knackered" means!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
olly986

wrecked, ****************ed, destroyed or extremelly tired!!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #14

Spray a very slick lube all over the rotors or just smear some grease on them...I hear rust is never a problem again.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Is this normal or a problem??
Normal as a bear $hiting in the woods!

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote