986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bought the Beater Boxster.... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54957)

dghii 11-30-2014 06:57 PM

Congrats by the way! I've picked up two white 98's in the last few years....one for $4,800 and one for $5400. Both were very solid, yet neglected and dirty.

You're going to love your new 'beater'.

Retroman1969 12-01-2014 04:47 AM

Thank you guys! :)
My mechanic checks the filter, coolant, and does the Durametric test at every oil change, so hopefully he'll have all good news. ;)
I think I've heard about the drop links before, so we'll see what he finds. I'll mention it to him anyway.
Anxious to get it back and start enjoying it! :)
I'll report in when I get it back.

NewArt 12-01-2014 06:29 AM

:) If only other repairs on the Boxster were as easy (2 bolts) and as inexpensive as drop links!

Retroman1969 12-01-2014 12:09 PM

Yes indeed. ;)
My guy says he's going to have the car a few days, not only to check everything thoroughly, but also to send the key off to have a couple of copies made. (He knows of a place in Dallas that cuts them for a fraction of dealer cost).
Wish me luck! ;)

dghii 12-01-2014 04:10 PM

Very good and best of luck. I know you're enjoying this. When I bought each of the 98's, I couldn't believe I was buying this great of a car for the price of a used whatever. Both were two owner cars with about 118K miles.

Both Boxsters were sold to friends after I completed all the required maintenence for their mileage and fixed what needed to be fixed.

The buyers are still friends so I guess all is good!

Nine8Six 12-02-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 426833)
Thank you!
I'd never seen the green before either. It was a little startling at first with the silver, but I'm kinda diggin' it now.
TO, that's just my thought on the cosmetics as well. ;)
It does really have a smooth ride on the highway, ideal compromise for a DD.

Coincidence you have green shirts in both your appearances? see OP pics

Dunno, maybe the car chose YOU. I.e. it got a mind of its own... I'd be careful if I were you lol

Congrats on the find! Btw thanks for sharing those pics and following-up the hyper story :)

Retroman1969 12-02-2014 01:03 PM

That's cool dghii. I'd say it's a good sign. ;)
Ha, I hadn't noticed the shirt! I wonder if it would lean more towards The Love Bug, or Christine territory?

Many thanks for the comments!

PS: I studied the CarFax, and it turns out I'm actually the 3rd owner. It spent the first 11 years in far NW Los Angeles. It had the ignition switch and window regulators replaced at 25,000 miles, and the brake pads and rotors replaced at 44,000 miles, and the entire transmission replaced at 45,000 miles. Two weeks later it was reported as a total loss for some reason, and went into possession of the insurance company. One year later it suddenly pops up in Newalla OK of all places (Newalla is a hole in the road out in the middle of nowhere that conjures up shades of "Deliverance"). It's soon traded to Bob Moore Mazda in Edmond where the lot I bought it from picked it up at an auction.
It has been around, but no shock.

JayG 12-02-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 427026)
That's cool dghii. I'd say it's a good sign. ;)
Ha, I hadn't noticed the shirt! I wonder if it would lean more towards The Love Bug, or Christine territory?

Many thanks for the comments!

PS: I studied the CarFax, and it turns out I'm actually the 3rd owner. It spent the first 11 years in far NW Los Angeles. It had the ignition switch and window regulators replaced at 25,000 miles, and the brake pads and rotors replaced at 44,000 miles, and the entire transmission replaced at 45,000 miles. Two weeks later it was reported as a total loss for some reason, and went into possession of the insurance company. One year later it suddenly pops up in Newalla OK of all places (Newalla is a hole in the road out in the middle of nowhere that conjures up shades of "Deliverance"). It's soon traded to Bob Moore Mazda in Edmond where the lot I bought it from picked it up at an auction.
It has been around, but no shock.

probably stolen and the ins company paid out the claim and then the car was recovered and sold

jdlmodelt 12-02-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 426791)
That is a lot of car for $4500. Have fun and keep us up to date on this.

I agree! :) well done!

Retroman1969 12-02-2014 06:13 PM

Thank you jdl!
JayG, I hadn't thought of that, but I bet you're right. I just realized today that the driver's door lock cylinder is busted. The doors currently have to be locked either from the button or from the passenger door. Might be related to the stolen scenario.

Pdwight 12-02-2014 06:37 PM

Looks to be a heck of a deal.........BTW I love Red Green

Retroman1969 12-03-2014 01:22 PM

Awesome! I've been a fan of that show since the '80s. :)

Retroman1969 12-05-2014 05:58 PM

Okay, visited the shop today. They had it up on the lift and showed me what it needed:

Serpentine belt
Front brakes
All four rear CV boots (joints are fine)
Cooling system service (flush and replace fluid)

And that's it.
Surprising for a 16 year old car with 124,000 miles on it.
Rear brakes are fairly new as is the water pump, thermostat, and hoses.
Front end is tight and all boots and bushings up front in good shape. They couldn't find one leak or stain from any previous leaking. It's tight. :)
Shop owner test drove the car and said he was very impressed with how it drove.
I think I got a good one for a bargain! :)

husker boxster 12-06-2014 02:34 AM

Interesting that the PO would change the rear brakes but not the fronts, esp since the fronts are needing replacing.

Ckrikos 12-06-2014 05:07 AM

I wonder why they would recommend a coolant flush. I wouldn't mess with the coolant system unless you're changing the tank or pump.

Retroman1969 12-06-2014 06:39 AM

I'm going to guess that the rears were scraping and the fronts weren't yet, since the fronts were probably replaced twice as often as the rears. The fronts still have pad but it's getting really close and the rotors are "grooved" pretty deeply, so they can't be turned.
I just worded it wrong on the cooling system. They're not actually flushing it, but just draining the coolant and refilling with fresh. I guess to make sure it has 100% correct coolant in it. I agree with that since we don't know what all has been done to it by previous owners. Might as well start as fresh as possible. ;)

Gilles 12-06-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 427468)
I'm going to guess that the rears were scraping and the fronts weren't yet, since the fronts were probably replaced twice as often as the rears. The fronts still have pad but it's getting really close and the rotors are "grooved" pretty deeply, so they can't be turned.
I just worded it wrong on the cooling system. They're not actually flushing it, but just draining the coolant and refilling with fresh. I guess to make sure it has 100% correct coolant in it. I agree with that since we don't know what all has been done to it by previous owners. Might as well start as fresh as possible. ;)

Retroman,

You also may want to flush the brakes hydraulic system as this should be done every couple of years anyway..

Congratulations on your find!

Retroman1969 12-06-2014 05:51 PM

Thank you Gilles!
I'll ask about that. I'm trying to rack up a list while they still have it. ;)

CraigM 12-10-2014 06:46 AM

So I saw an ad on eBay that made me think of this thread...apparently there is a shirt just for you.
Double Boxster T-Shirt by gogowheels
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1418226335.jpg

Retroman1969 12-10-2014 08:43 AM

Way cool Craig! Thanks for the link, I think I'll have to order one to wear at the car events. :)