Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
Porsche Fever

Question IMS Bearing

With the vin # WP0CB298X5U730803 for 2005 Boxster S does this model have a single row bearing or double? Also wanted to find out the latest information on if my vin # is in the category for IMS failure..

pmmsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmsinger View Post
With the vin # WP0CB298X5U730803 for 2005 Boxster S does this model have a single row bearing or double? Also wanted to find out the latest information on if my vin # is in the category for IMS failure..
The only way to know which bearing is in the car is to take the car apart and look. All other methods (build dates, VIN lists, phases of the Moon, etc.) have repeated proven to be completely unreliable.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Beginner

Garage
I guess I learn something new every day. I thought after 2003 they were all single row. I've a 2003 M96.24 and it is a single.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

I too am surprised, I thought everything after 01 was a single row. Anyone ever see a dual row bearing in a later model 986?

I have a 2000 2.7 and the engine was built in 98 so I'm just going to live in my dual row fantasy world til I have to change the clutch.

Rick
SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I guess I learn something new every day. I thought after 2003 they were all single row. I've a 2003 M96.24 and it is a single.
You are misinterpreting my comment; 01 to 04 should be the standard sized single row, but starting in 2005, many engines were equipped with the non serviceable oversized bearing. The only way to know if the car is a standard single row or the non serviceable unit is to take the car apart............... If it is the big bearing, it cannot be changed.

Tags
boxster s , ims , vin