Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
1997 Boxster - 56K miles

Rust leaking from driver wheel well

I have a 97 Boxster with about 60,000 miles. Suddenly leaking rust colored from the front wheel well. I have searched but cannot figure out where these drains come from. Any help would be appreciated!

ronlatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

I would check all drain holes where the battery is located. There are a few drains that get clogged up. Also maybe check your battery? I'm not sure where the overflow comes out for the battery but can't hurt to check.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

Old 11-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
1997 Boxster - 56K miles

Actually I had a battery leak recently, took out the battery tray sanded and repainted, replaced battery and some cables, thought I had it cleaned up but could have some remnants in the drains. I looked for the two drain holes near the battery tray but could not locate. Wonder if the 97 model is different. Maybe I can try to flush out the residue if I can find the drain locations.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Oh yeah mine is a 2002. I think there were at least 4 drain holes. Some near the battery and brake booster and cabin filter. Mine had a lot of sand and pine needles in there from previous owners. As I write this though I don't recall any if them draining out near the front wheel well.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Front trunk; remove the two side plastic covers up by the cowel area. There is a drain hole on each side. It might just be old tree needles and dirt making the water look 'rust' colored.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

Somewhere around here:

Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
1997 Boxster - 56K miles

So checked around and finally located drains. One was covered with some debris which was also rust colored making it difficult to see. The other was on the side facing toward the battery, almost impossible to see but I ran a small cable tie through the opening in the wheel well and it came out on the other side. ALthough I cleaned up battery tray when the prior battery leaked, I didn't clean up the surrounding compartment area so residue gradually made its way into the drains. Cleaned out the compartment area, used some CLR and flushed both drains, scrubbed the wheel well and looks like I should be good to go now. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #9

Glad to hear as those pictures were difficult to look at!