Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

Fighting with air/oil separator

Armed with Pelican and Pedrosgarage DIYs I jacked my 97 up and crawled under to dislodge and swap ou a faulty oil separator. Geez, it took me 20 mins just to locate it from the underside and it seems nearly impossible to get to it laying on my back.

Did I miss something? Do I need to remove the bottom panels or come in through the wheel well to get at it?

It's cold in the garage and I don't want to freeze to death trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

Jb

theboogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #2

Did mine for the first time a month ago. Yes, it was a bigger pain than I expected. It was easier underneath when I got the O2 sensor wires out of the way by unscrewing that bracket and swinging them to the side. Not sure if that's the same on a 2.5 (I have 00 2.7).

If you don't have one, get one of these. I wasted a couple hours trying to get the last clamp back on without one. Got so freakin' close everytime. Then done in one shot when I finally got this for 15 bucks or so at an auto parts store.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

Oh, and my arms were twisted around in some funky ways up there, but it is possible to do without removing anything major.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

There's a nice write up by Brad Roberts a few years ago.
http://986forum.com/forums/159178-post17.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/18090-air-oil-seperator-write-up-4.html

See if you have a new hose with the new AOS (See Attached pic). If you do have a new hose just cut the old hose instead of trying to loosen the clamp. This will save you a lot of time and having to buy a special tool. When reinstalling I used a standard clamp and used a socket to tighten.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/50363-aos-replacement-tips.html