Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The temperature related theory is interesting. However Peter Smith thinks it is due to cold air that causes the rubber diagraphram to split.

Unlike the Boxster, the separator on a 996 is heated by coolant. This is a 996 separator and you can see the 2 provisions for the coolant hose into and out of the round thing which is the diagraphram.

I can maybe confirm this thoery about cold air ,as my AOS (2.7 987) failed on the coldest day of our winter so far ,it was -17c ,and the engine been running very rough since ,plus an oil drip down the back of the AOS ,the engine sounds like its either got an exhaust leak or induction leak or both ,plus slight oil smoke like one of those misting machines you use to get at 1980's discos

when calling a porsche center for the part they have had lots of orders for the same part ,the 987 AOS is a bit different from the 986 version and doesnt have the boot or the plastic tubes on the bottom but a hose (with one of those clips that are sometimes impossible to remove) and a spigot with an O ring ,also mounted / bolted differently

chrismanchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #62

Just wanted to post a quick thanks to Brad Roberts for the write up. My AOS failed on my 2000 986 with 99,067 miles on it. Spent a couple hours this afternoon swapping a new one in. Everything went smooth and it saved me a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #63

Quote:
I put this picture on Bard's spec board, so here it is.

This is what I see the mechanics at the local dealer using for the lower spring band clamp. Once the clamp is in position the blue clip is puled away and the clamp closes. Marvin Weitz at RennShop in Santa Clara also uses it.
Mubea pre-open spring band clamp tool...now I would like to have them in my tool box.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #64

PN for the AOS clamps

Quote:
I put this picture on Bard's spec board, so here it is.

This is what I see the mechanics at the local dealer using for the lower spring band clamp. Once the clamp is in position the blue clip is puled away and the clamp closes. Marvin Weitz at RennShop in Santa Clara also uses it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way the part number for the clamps with the blue retainer is 999-512-630-00 / 99951263000. It saved me a lot of time.........

Last edited by kamran66; 06-17-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Picture
kamran66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #65

75K Failed AOS

Advise needed. On my way back from Cape Cod I became stuck in stop and go traffic and after about an hour I notice my 02 Boster was smokeing. Made it off the next exit and had it towed to a Porsche shop in Hartford. Musante Motor Sport was great and I picked up the car last Friday. It was the AOS. I changed the oil this weekend and I will send it out to be analized. It seems to have a little rough idle. It there anything else I should check?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #66

Cannot see pics.

I seem to be having a problem, well, two actually. One, I seem to have all the classic symptoms of a bad AOS. My second problem is that I cannot see the pics of this (from what I have read), very detailed AOS replacement DIY.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBoxster
I seem to be having a problem, well, two actually. One, I seem to have all the classic symptoms of a bad AOS. My second problem is that I cannot see the pics of this (from what I have read), very detailed AOS replacement DIY.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

This should help you...Bookmark his site for future DIY.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #68

Hey gang.

I'll "fix" all the pictures this weekend. I sold the "BoxsterSpec" domain name last year, but I still have all the pictures from the site. I'll move them to another domain name I use (986racing.com) and make them work again. Pretty simple fix, but it will take some time to get them back into place... and I was just reminded we have a track event on Saturday!! So look for them Monday morning. I'll fix them during the day on Sunday.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #69
Carnut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Hey gang.

I'll "fix" all the pictures this weekend. I sold the "BoxsterSpec" domain name last year, but I still have all the pictures from the site. I'll move them to another domain name I use (986racing.com) and make them work again. Pretty simple fix, but it will take some time to get them back into place... and I was just reminded we have a track event on Saturday!! So look for them Monday morning. I'll fix them during the day on Sunday.

B

That's the spirit!! Tahnks!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Hey gang.
... and I was just reminded we have a track event on Saturday!! So look for them Monday morning. I'll fix them during the day on Sunday.

B
Brad, are U going to Fontana?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #71

Bump! Just looking for the pics from Brad Roberts.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #72

I know I pushed them to the server, just need to go and edit all the url's for the pics.

I'll see what I can do. We are abnormally busy at the shop for this time of the year

B
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #73

No worries. Understand about being busy.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #74

Last time I was in my engine bay my AOS had a film of oil on it so it may be on its way out. Do any feel the motorsports version is worth the additional cost?

I had an oil leak after a track day and thought (or hoped) it was the AOS.....but then the drip moved into the centre....gulp....track weekend over

I had partially dislodged a new 997 RMS. Could undue crankcase pressure via the AOS be part of the problem?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #75

I'm going to be doing my AOS replacement in a day or two. Pictures would definitely save me a lot of time, trouble and headaches.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #76

Found the pictures on my home server!! Under Boxster/Howto.. LOL

Pushing them to the server now!

B
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #77

OK.. it appears everything is back in place. I just copied the folder from a backup I have and changed the URL in each post to point to the new URL.

Hit refresh on page1 and you *should* be good to go

B
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #78
WV Boxster

Garage
just wanting to find this easier later. Sure I will need this.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #79

I'm proofreading it right now and checking to make sure all the pictures are showing

B
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #80

Sorry it took so long to get the pics back up. I know of at least 10 people who have asked for the pics offline.

Life got in the way

B