Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #1

LED Headlight H1 bulb recommendation please

Hi,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about the LED headlights and fitment and pros and cons and all that good stuff, but I was wondering if anyone had a solid recommendation on what kind/brand/type of H1 bulbs to get that match the LED headlights (temperature-wise) closely and will not burn out super quick, will produce good output and not damage the harness due to large current draw? Don't mind spending a few bucks for a good quality bulb.

Since a lot of people have the LED headlights installed, I am sure there will be good recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Apologies if it has been discussed, I promise I tried searching but found nothing specific to this.

Cheers!

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

I think our cars use H7 for headlights. I have read enough bad results to not trust LED for a headlight replacement at this time. I would like to try a LED for the Fog/Driving lamp with my projectors I have not yet installed.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Temp-wise I think you'd have to try a few to match the existing set-up. Those aren't super expansive so it shouldn't hurt even if you end up forgetting about those spares in the bottom of a drawer. LED don't draw a whole lot of current (mA), you'll be fine on the load part.

Stay in the 15~8w and below ranges for your leds and it should all be safe. No-No super ebay 50watts in those Porsche headlights... think those gets a tad too hot during summer days
Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Hi,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about the LED headlights and fitment and pros and cons and all that good stuff, but I was wondering if anyone had a solid recommendation on what kind/brand/type of H1 bulbs to get that match the LED headlights (temperature-wise) closely and will not burn out super quick, will produce good output and not damage the harness due to large current draw? Don't mind spending a few bucks for a good quality bulb.
This is confusing. You do realize that those "LED headlights" do not actually have LED main bulbs, right? I believe they come with halogen bulbs and you can convert them to HID.
So, the real question is "which bulbs do you intend to use with them and what are you trying to match?"

Since a lot of people have the LED headlights installed, I am sure there will be good recommendations. Thanks in advance.
I think you've been misinformed. I've been a member here and other Porsche forums for years and I know of all of three or four people that have bought these.

Apologies if it has been discussed, I promise I tried searching but found nothing specific to this.

Cheers!
The message you've entered is too short.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by woodsman; 11-21-2014 at 10:23 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies everyone!!

@particlewave - Yup, I know they are halogen bulbs - Sorry if my post was not very clear, my fault. I probably should not have referred to them as LED headlights, I saw a few posts where they were discussed:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/44176-black-led-headlights.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35402-new-led-lights-what-do-you-think.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48522-led-headlight-problems-help.html

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/34871-led-headlights-do-you-guys-like.html

Our standard headlamps take H7 bulbs but the these Taiwanese manufactured LED headlamps it seems require H1 style halogen bulbs for the included sockets. Since H1 style bulbs come in various temperatures and there are probably many brands that make them (Sylvania, CIPA, Philips perhaps), I was merely trying to inquire what brands and temperatures other people are using in theirs.

But it seems like I must have severely over-estimated the number of people that bought these, my apologies again.

Btw, I found one post with an answer to my question while searching around after I asked -

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/37862-led-h1-bulbs.html

If anyone else has them installed and knows of a good brand/temperature to buy, please let me know. Thanks. Happy Friday!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The message you've entered is too short.

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote