Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Duraflex Paintable Wing

105135 Duraflex Paintable Wings - S-Design for at Andy's Auto Sport

I'm looking for some opinions on the above spoiler. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they good quality with good fitment? Comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #2

Garage
I was considering one of these myself, until I saw one in the Porsche Paddock at Daytona last year (if the owner is present, this is not intended as a criticism of your car! It's just my observation.).

Looking down on the trunk and spoiler when retracted, the gap between them was uneven; greater in the middle than at the ends, as if the spoiler had a sag in it. Second -- and more critical -- the recess in the body for the stock spoiler is squared, but the ends of the replacement wing are rounded, resulting in large triangular gaps.

Does anyone know how effective this wing is compared to the stock set up? The wing looks awfully small.

Bill
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
1976 Datsun 260Z
billj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #3

I have the spoiler on my car and think it looks wonderful...get many positive comments from other owners. Fit and finish is factory quality. Very simple to install and easily reversible, should you wish to revert back to stock. Had it for years and no issues, though my car is not a daily driver. I ordered mine painted, so it was just a matter of installation.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

Another angle

Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
I have the spoiler on my car and think it looks wonderful...get many positive comments from other owners. Fit and finish is factory quality. Very simple to install and easily reversible, should you wish to revert back to stock. Had it for years and no issues, though my car is not a daily driver. I ordered mine painted, so it was just a matter of installation.

Thanks for photos and comments. Do you have a photo that looks dead level with the wing? I'm wondering how big the gap between lower edge of spoiler and top edge of bumper is. Or is that gap filled in nicely with how spoiler or some type of trim.
Thanks for the help. I have never really cared for the oe tombstone spoiler and would like to find a modest replacement spoiler.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #6

Best photo I have, but shadows hide the view

Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm with Bill on this.

I wanted to get that spoiler until I saw one on a car in person. The gaps are quite large and obvious, especially near the tail lights.
I suspect that this is also why we rarely see good pictures of these areas.

On a dark car like jmatta's, they look better because the color hides the gaps, I think.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-13-2014 at 10:41 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post

What's on your third brake light? or is just clear?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-13-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

On a dark car like jmatta's, they look better because the color hides the gaps, I think.
I think the gaps even without an aftermarket spoiler are pretty noticeable, especially where the tailight meets the trunk lid (when you look at it from the side). Not the strongest part of the 986 design.
But that's a lot of curvy stuff going on back there to manufacture without huge expense. Just don't look too close

great look though. I would consider the GT3tek bumper cover in the future though. It fills out the rear a little better to match the front if you have skirting or the GT3 front bumper
This a forum member car below (JAAY)

on silver:

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-13-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

"What's on your third brake light? Didn't peel off the backing on your porsche decal?"

The third tail light is a clear LED unit (like the side markers) the center lights red when the brakes are applied. Much cleaner looking than the standard red one.

Last edited by jmatta; 11-13-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Thanks jmatta.

I do like the clear third (eye) brake light. I just may need to do me one of dem. I saw one on ebay for $69. Any links on where you recommend buying it?

Gracias
Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #12

I'm actually looking for a smoke third brake light, anyone have a link that they would recommend?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #13

Just ordered my spoiler, I liked what I saw on jmatta's. I have always thought that the tombstone spoiler was just not very appealing. Sort of felt like Porsche finished their car design, put it in a wind tunnel, found out they had a problem with lift at high speed, crammed in a spoiler as an afterthought, and that was the end of it. You look at how engineered and over-engineered the Germans do things, the OE spoiler just didn't seem to match those ideals. So out with the old and in with the new.

I will do the painting myself and post some pics when I get it all done.

Thanks for the all the input guys
Old 11-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Sort of felt like Porsche finished their car design, put it in a wind tunnel, found out they had a problem with lift at high speed, crammed in a spoiler as an afterthought, and that was the end of it. You look at how engineered and over-engineered the Germans do things, the OE spoiler just didn't seem to match those ideals. So out with the old and in with the new.
Oh I definitely disagree with your take there. That's a safety issue and they're a sports car company. If their hail mary design intended to save them from bankruptcy turned out to be dangerous they're goose would have been cooked for sure. Also, the Boxster is a superb handling car that has set the bar in class since day one. Lucking into well-engineered downforce was not a coincidence or afterthought.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Good. Maybe you can be the first to post good close-ups of the fit.

Me? I've decided to make my own out of fiberglass or cf because I want something unique with a perfect fit
...and because I'm nuts.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Oh I definitely disagree with your take there. That's a safety issue and they're a sports car company. If their hail mary design intended to save them from bankruptcy turned out to be dangerous they're goose would have been cooked for sure. Also, the Boxster is a superb handling car that has set the bar in class since day one. Lucking into well-engineered downforce was not a coincidence or afterthought.
Let me state it this way, it definitely looks like it was designed as an afterthought, cause it doesn't look to inspired to me.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #17

Garage
Our Boxsters have spoilers? I've never seen mine in person...

Seriously, I assumed they designed it with the same idea as the 964 spoiler: keep the clean lines of the car until you absolutely need to change the aerodynamics. I personally like the rear of the 986 sans spoiler, even if it looks less-than-ideal once the 'wing' is deployed at speed. Like I said, I never see it.

The redesigned rear of the 987 flows much better with an exposed spoiler IMO, as evidenced by the Boxster Spyder.

-T
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Good. Maybe you can be the first to post good close-ups of the fit.

Me? I've decided to make my own out of fiberglass or cf because I want something unique with a perfect fit
...and because I'm nuts.
Post some "close-ups" of the spoiler that you made. I would love to see that "something unique with a perfect fit" that you were able to construct. Heck, you may have people beating down your door to order that perfect fit that you have concocted. I wait with my breath held to see your creation.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #19

pw - check out the cayman wing from porsche mesh:

Rear wing for Porsche 987 Cayman & Boxster

something like this for the 986 would rock. or a ducktail - a ducktail would also rock.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #20

dun no about you guys but I think it's a pretty cool advantage to have an inch (.5) gap in that area. Lots of heat built-up in the arse of that boxster car, no?

For some reason that Cayman spoiler looks like it should have been there since factory day 1