Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
There is no substitute

My (our) Boxster story

Just a quick post to share my Boxster tale.
I received a phone call one evening from my retired father who spends his days scouring craigslist for deals. Knowing my affinity for P-cars, he asked what I knew about the Boxster. My answer was not a darn thing. I have always been a 911 guy, so I was not able to help him out. He told me he found a 99 Boxster with 33k miles but the add said it need engine work. Asking price 5k. Intrigued, I thought I would do my mom a favor and get him out of the house, so, I sent him on his way to check the car out. He called me from the sellers house, I could sense from his tone this was not a craigslist rust bucket. Showroom condition arctic silver paint, perfect top, spotless Boxster red interior. Engine was a different story-not so good-in pieces on a pallet next to the car. To my father, an excellent mechanic, not a big deal. To me, not a mechanic, a major deal. Apparently the motor suffered an IMS failure and the owner pulled the engine and sent it off to MotorMeisters in California. MotorMeisters then went belly up (word on the street is they re-opened under another name??) and they generously returned the motor, or facsimile thereof, in pieces on a pallet. After some quick googling I ball parked 5-7K for a replacement motor. We offered $2500 and settled at $3000. Although my 70 year old dad was convinced he could swap a motor out I convinced him to let someone else do the install. DC Automotive in Rocky Mount NC ended up doing the work for us. 7K plus they wanted the old motor or what was left of it. For that price they put in a rebuilt 2.7L, road tested and ready to run. No nickle and diming, the price was the price. Rob at DC was great to work with and very fair. I would highly recommend them. Picked the car up in August and have put about 1000 miles on it with no issues, and yes, it is a blast to drive. So for right at 10 grand I ended up with a low mileage Boxster with newly rebuilt and upgraded motor. Base model with 17" wheels, leather seats, upgraded stereo with CD, cruise, alarm, windstop and some other options codes I am still decoding.
So to the point of my post.
1. Thanks to they very knowledgeable members on this forum. Although not an expert, I can at least say now that I know something about the Boxster thanks to you.
2. A plug for DC Automotive, I give them 2 thumbs up.
3. I need room in my garage, anyone interested in a 74 911 Targa?? (another ebay find of my Dads!), if so check out the post at 1974 911S Targa-$19,900 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS or email me at mknapp614@gmail.com. Car is located in southeastern PA.
There is no substitute
Mike

Joel Goodsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #2

Great story

These cars are so cool. Glad you found one, it's beautiful!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Welcome to the Boxster forum. There is a lot to learn here from some very smart folks. This is where all the cool kids hang out.

Arctic Silver/Boxster Red is my favorite color combo - you did good!

Rick
Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Garage
Nice car. I was glad to hear something about DC Automotive. They are about 30 minutes away. I knew they were there, but had not heard any chatter about them.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #5

Really nice car and for 10k you can't go wrong.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #6

Garage
Great story, great car, and as Brett mentioned, good to hear about DC Automotive. Welcome, and congratulations.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

Garage
Sweet deal and great looking car! I love the red/silver combination! And welcome to the forum
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #8

Man, I love a red interior. Looks great.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Beautiful car, great story, and the perfect color combo! Well worth the investment as far as I can see.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

Silver/exterior red/interior is my favorite color combo of all time on these cars. Great find and happy motoring!

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
There is no substitute

Thanks

Thanks everyone. My gut told me it was a good deal, glad so many of you all think so too. I agree, when the top is down the contrast of the red interior and silver is really eye-catching. Unfortunately top is going to be up for a while and the cars (no takers on my 911) will soon be in storage for the winter. Remind me again why I choose to live in the Northeast?? April can't get here soon enough!
All for now
Mike

Joel Goodsen is offline   Reply With Quote