Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Thoughts on keeping 02 S outside??

Tried cleaning out the garage today to make room for the possible purchase of an 02 S. I really, really don't think the S will be able to stay in the garage. I'm buying this car to drive and not be a garage queen but I have never had my 3rd car kept outside. Will the rear plastic window hold up to a Philadelphia winter? All I know is all the dealerships have these cars outside and they seem to do fine. I'm still going to keep working on the garage in an effort to keep the it inside.

Thoughts on not being able to have an 02 S garage kept?

Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I may get jumped on for this, but honestly, it's just a car. A fun car, but a car nonetheless. A 12 year old car probably won't like the cold, but then, I live in Montreal, and I don't like it either. If you're not driving it much, put a cover on it, it'll be fine.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Oh, BTW, that plastic will get brittle in the cold. Don't take an ice scraper to it and for god's sake, don't drop the top at minus 10!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #4

For me it no car it I don't have a garage for it. Pretty much any car is worth more then the "stuff" in the garage. That's just me though.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Get a high quality weather/water proof car cover ($350+) and the car will be fine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415504706.835502.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  278.5 KB

Kids toys take up the garage!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415504770.998320.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  250.4 KB

I'm going to rearrange things again and see if I can get the second bay open enough for the car. That is if I buy it.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
Hey, if the kids can keep all their riding toys in the garage, why can't you park yours there too?
Seems fair enough.
My garage is almost as cluttered with kids stuff too. You've got a high ceiling, I hang a lot of it up off the floor in the off season.
Attached Images

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 11-08-2014 at 07:08 PM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
still plays with cars...

Garage
I've got to stop posting from this iPad...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

My Boxster lives outside (we don't have a garage). Get a good quality cover. I've had a California Car Cover for 2 years and it looks brand new. So does the car (it's a 2003). Doesn't even matter if it's an "S" or not !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

My wife would sleep outside before Boxy......
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31 View Post
Attachment 18938

Kids toys take up the garage!
Hang the bikes, rearrange the toy cars towards the back of the garage, or get a shed. Yes, it's just a car and yes, the Boxster can sit outside but it will take a toll on the top, the interior, the finish and the car in general. Keeping it in the garage will help to hold its resale value for when you decide to sell it in the future. It amazes me how people take care of what is usually their second biggest asset. Their car sits outside, subject to the elements while the garage is full of stuff that is not even close in value to the car. Just my .02.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #13

Garage
Two words come to mind "Yard Sale". Sorry that sounds cold but the reality is in 5 months they will grow 2 to 4"how much of the stuff will they still be able to use in April. Been there done that April come the car sat outside all winter. And you buy a replacement for every item there and you just doubled the contents in you garage.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 11-09-2014 at 07:06 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #14

Just park the damn car outside. It can handle it.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I unfortunately had a about two years where I had to park outside, it did a number on the plastic (cowl, radiator grills, etc) but if you keep a good coat of wax on it at all times and take care of any water spots asap (before they get baked on), you don't have to worry too much. Definitely buy a good sunshade, and condition the leather dash ever now and then.

You might also look into something like this, that just covers the cab, but is quick to take on/off: Accessories for the Porsche Boxster and Carrera by Roadster Solutions
Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I may get jumped on for this, but honestly, it's just a car. A fun car, but a car nonetheless. A 12 year old car probably won't like the cold, but then, I live in Montreal, and I don't like it either. If you're not driving it much, put a cover on it, it'll be fine.
Whereas NewArt is correct, it is just a car, I wouldn't have a Boxster if I had to keep it parked outside all the time. But hey that's just me. I mean what's wrong with wanting to keep something nice ? Especially something like a Boxster.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #17

this is one of those questions that five years later after many modifications/upgrades and hours of detailing you'll have a good laugh about having asked. "How could I do this to my favorite toy?!"

it's not just a car. It's an expensive car whose costs to maintain do not scale down with the resale price. If this were a Honda Accord, yeah park it outside. No question that a car kept in a garage will require less $$$$ fixing and will look well-maintained. My garage was connected to the house so the temp inside the garage was always 20 degrees warmer during winter. This made running the car year round (a good thing for the engine) easier on the engine than going out in freezing temps to subject the car to cold start ups. And If two cars are up for sale, I'm going to see the garage kept car first.
And really I thought the whole point of a garage is protecting your possessions against the elements in order of value? I have neighbors who park expensive cars outside while their car is full of junk they never use. Huh?
Obviously not car enthusiasts.

Also, in PA I would keep a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels in that garage. The enemy is not snow like most think when considering winter tires, it's in fact ice.
All it takes is one ice patch rounding a corner, losing the car at speed into high curb and you can break the wheels clean off the car which would probably game over.
These cars are reliable but fragile in the wrong conditions. Keep Craftsman floor jack and an electric drill with enough torque for the lug nuts and just switch over to the winter tires come Thanksgiving.
Your summer tires will last many more seasons and winter tires can last a really long time while keeping you safe.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-10-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #18

I would argue it's not the snow or the ice but the SALT that gets spread all over the place that does the most damage. Even a car that's parked - if it's left to sit outside, salt will find it way to the underside as you shovel around it and such. Salt is everywhere in the winter. The garage at least keeps it to a minimal (still gets tracked around on your boots and such).
I would encourage anyone who parks it for the winter to find an indoor spot. In my neck of the woods, there are a few places around (Farms) who have large sheds that they rent out in the winter. For less than $250 - you can have a dry, insulated place to store it. And that's 250 for the season! And trust me - many of these sheds are housing $100,000 tractors and such - so they are kept clean and tidy.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #19

Yeah salt is bad but I've driven my car through every winter for a decade. No rust or paint damage.
Well my exhaust looked like crap when it came off for the upgraded exhaust but who cares. My cats were shot before the 80K mile mark but I don't think that in particular was because of salt.
My rotors looked pretty good when they came off after a decade of winter driving.
These modern cars aren't like the 1970's Porsches. They're not going to cave in on themselves because of salt, more so because of cheap, mass market oil.
That doesn't mean you should wash off all the salt though, I'm just saying it's not like kryptonite if it gets on the car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-10-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #20

I built a shed in the back yard to make room for my boxster. All bikes hang, tools on the wall, lawn equipment in shed.