Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Help repairing damaged dash in 02 Boxster S

Well I was hoping that my first posting here would be a "I'm a first-time Porsche owner!" thread, but unfortunately the dash of my 2002 Porsche Boxster S got scratched and gouged by a coworker's laptop as he jumped in the car yesterday. I've attached pictures to help in assessing the damage.

Since the interior of this car is otherwise immaculate, I'd like to get this piece fixed as it ruins the clean look of the interior. I've searched a bit online, but am hitting a wall in terms of options. So far I've found that I can either replace the entire dash, which would cost far too much money, or buy Leatherique to try to fix the damage myself (as long as the damaged area is in fact leather).

Does anyone have any input on the Leatherique approach, or any other ideas on how to solve this issue? I'm located in Houston, TX, so local fixes would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by TuftsAuto; 11-05-2014 at 12:58 PM.
TuftsAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #2

Garage
try a custom interiors place, they may be able to repair, or worst case have it re-covered in leather?
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:54 AM   #3

Taking out the dash only takes about an hour, maybe three if it's your first time. I have that same dash for $150 and I'm only about 2 hours from you. If you come out here to my shop in Bastrop, I'll help you replace it for free.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #4

If it is leather I would recover it myself by buying a section of thin black leather off of ebay, similar to this:

12"x12" Very Thin Black Plonge Leather Cowhide Peggysuealso | eBay

Use Pedro's technique to apply it, might as well do the door handle covers and storage lids while you're at it:

Leather Upholstering

Another way to deal with scratches on interior plastics are to rub them out with another plastic tool similar to this:

5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

The method is described here on how to do it, it works. You must register and sign in to see the pictures:

Interior plastic scratch repair DIY how-to.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Taking out the dash only takes about an hour, maybe three if it's your first time. I have that same dash for $150 and I'm only about 2 hours from you. If you come out here to my shop in Bastrop, I'll help you replace it for free.
thats very generous of you Woody.
Shows what a class act you are
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Garage
Below is a link to a local shop here in Houston that may be able to help you out, with such a small area I would think the costs would be minimal.

What area of Houston are you located?

Leather, Vinyl, Upholstery Repair - Fibrenew West Houston
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
To the original poster - itsnotanova has been parting out Boxsters for a while. I doubt you will beat the price and the labor for an original Porsche part. Many folks here will tell you he is a stand up guy and not an internet troll.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes I agree itsnotanova is a stand up guy. Some of the best prices for used parts, plus a super nice and helpful guy.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #9

that area is real tender . I did the same thing on my 01 2.7 very difficult to touch up .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote