Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Vanity Mirror Sun Visor Install

Is there a video or step by step instruction to remove and install new housing.
Bought two from Sunset,do I have to splice and solder new wires?
Help me.

Big Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #2

Use a knife or plastic tool to pry out the old mirror housing. I believe there are two plastic hooks on each side that grab the visor. Check the new one for placement.

Remove the mirror from the old housing (it may be easier to do this first) and cut or unsolder the two wires. Solder them to the wires attached to the new housing and install, then replace the mirror.

The replacement parts come with bulbs and everything but the mirrors.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

THX, Do I need to discount battery.
Big Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #4

I didn't bother. If you short the two wires together a fuse will blow so if that's a worry, then disconnect the battery.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #5

When I fixed my drivers side visor (replaced the broken mirror cover (flapper) with one from a new non-illuminated mirror assembly) I found removing the visor from the car made the process a lot easier. I think it's four torx screws (2 different sizes I think). Pulling the visor out removes any chance of shorting the wires and you can do any soldering on a bench/table instead of inside your car.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #6

Good idea. That would make it easier.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Garage
No, you don't have to solder. I used heat-shrink tubing instead. Slide a couple of inches of tubing over the wires, then twist the wire ends together tightly to make a good mechanical connection. Do the same with the other set of wires. Slide the heat-shrink tubing centered over the splice then warm it up with a hair dryer. Watch that the tubing doesn't move out of position from the forced air. The tubing will be true to its name and shrink nicely protecting and securing the splice.

To take the visor off the car, there are two T30 bolts on the outside and one T20 bolt under the flap by the rearview mirror.

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...

Last edited by randy7601; 11-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
No, you don't have to solder. I used heat-shrink tubing instead. Slide a couple of inches of tubing over the wires, then twist the wire ends together tightly to make a good mechanical connection. Do the same with the other set of wires. Slide the heat-shrink tubing centered over the splice then warm it up with a hair dryer. Watch that the tubing doesn't move out of position from the forced air. The tubing will be true to its name and shrink nicely protecting and securing the splice.

To take the visor off the car, there are two T30 bolts on the outside and one T20 bolt under the flap by the rearview mirror.
Not soldering is asking for a bad connection in the future. The wire will eventually oxidize and become a bad connection.

For a temporary connection, maybe. Permanent connection, no
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Not soldering is asking for a bad connection in the future. The wire will eventually oxidize and become a bad connection.

For a temporary connection, maybe. Permanent connection, no
Agreed. If you can't solder, at least use crimp connectors. There is enough room for them either wedged under the light, or inside near the bulb.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #10

Learn to solder

Buy a soldering iron and practice, really easy. Everyone should know how to solder and use a VOM to some rudimentary degree.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Buy a soldering iron and practice, really easy. Everyone should know how to solder and use a VOM to some rudimentary degree.
+1

They are basic skills that will eventually be needed if you plan on working on your car.

You don't need to spend a lot of money for a soldering iron, a small inexpensive one should be fine for most work and if you search out coupons and ads for Harbor Frieght you can get a decent VOM for free!

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote