Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I have a road I like to work around 5 am and I've stopped people more than once going just as fast as the first time I stopped them.
This is what I meant when I said "That doesn't mean there aren't places where I speed". I'm lucky the locals don't patrol the main road I drive to work in the 33 yrs I've been using it. But once again, if I get a ticket for speeding, I deserve it.

And Gforrest2 - it's unlucky to be superstitious.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #42

You can't extrapolate anything from that chart unless it is correlated to miles driven. I'm sure that the Veyron is at the bottom of the list too, but there aren't many of them and they sure aren't used for the daily commute.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:54 AM   #43

fine

How much is the fine ? Any points ?
Here in Ontario that`s an 80km in a 50. 30 over, that`s a chunk of change and a few points and if it`s not your first. Well ol` Mr/Ms Insurance people get out the calculator.And if was in a marked school zone even if school wasn`t in...woah buddy.
We also have a law here called Stunt Driving which is speeding, racing or just being an idiot behind the wheel. Open wallet, remove license and hand over the keys on the spot no trial until later on maybe weeks. Cars impounded for 7 days. Ricer kids caused all of this.Saves lives though.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
How much is the fine ? Any points ?
Here in Ontario that`s an 80km in a 50. 30 over, that`s a chunk of change and a few points and if it`s not your first. Well ol` Mr/Ms Insurance people get out the calculator.And if was in a marked school zone even if school wasn`t in...woah buddy.
We also have a law here called Stunt Driving which is speeding, racing or just being an idiot behind the wheel. Open wallet, remove license and hand over the keys on the spot no trial until later on maybe weeks. Cars impounded for 7 days. Ricer kids caused all of this.Saves lives though.
The law says if you go 50kph over - you run the risk of having your car impounded on the spot. Scares me - cause with the box, it's so easy to end up 50 over when passing. Really have to pay attention. It's not often I have to use the brakes on my DD when passing, so it's tough in the Box.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #45

Well, since this study is, apparently way off, please show me something more accurate than, "Because, I say it is way off."
Old 10-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Also, it lists those ticketed and not which are most often stopped. Completely different numbers..
You're right. It lists those ticketed and the cars they drove.

Did I misread the title of the thread and discussion? I didn't see where the title changed to, "I was speeding and stopped, but the cop let me go cuz he thought my car was cool!" And I must have missed all the subsequent posts that said, "Yeah cops stop me all the time to tell me how cool, timeless, and classic my car is, and then compliment me on my driving skills once they see me - cuz they KNOW that only a skilled driver such as myself can clearly judge appropriate speed levels. We then launch into discourse about how the better cops know and understand that speed limits only apply to ricers and common folk who are too stupid to know how do drive as well as me - because I drive a Porsche 986."

Please accept my sincere apologies for not posting this type of study in a relevant thread that focused on getting a ticket, and all the crosses that Porsche owners bear because of the car they drive, and how they know better than everyone else about road speeds.

Last edited by cfos; 10-05-2014 at 08:15 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
We then launch into discourse about how the better cops know and understand that speed limits only apply to ricers and common folk who are too stupid to know how do drive as well as me - because I drive a Porsche 986."

It is not the driver it is the car, a cops main job is safety, and slowing down a civic that will under steer into oblivion or a f-350 that could plow through 3 houses is more important than slowing down one of the cars with the most active safety on the road.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
It is not the driver it is the car, a cops main job is safety, and slowing down a civic that will under steer into oblivion or a f-350 that could plow through 3 houses is more important than slowing down one of the cars with the most active safety on the road.
Oh, again, I apologize. I wasn't aware that cops are taught about the physics of each and every car so that they know "under steer" and can pick it out within the few seconds they have of a car traveling at 55mph+. So glad you told me of this.

Oh yeah, I guess you also imply that all Porsche owners undergo a rigorous assessment to demonstrate their complete lack of asshattery, once behind the wheel, enabling them to get a free pass, unless in Cyprus.

Last edited by cfos; 10-05-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #49

Garage
First ticket

Quote:
Oh, again, I apologize. I wasn't aware that cops are taught about the physics of each and every car so that they know "under steer" and can pick it out within the few seconds they have of a car traveling at 55mph+. So glad you told me of this.

They will pull you over regardless, however, it is fairly disrespectful to assume that cops are not educated on the vehicles they are patrolling. Once they pull you over though, as well as attitude they do take into consideration this risk of you driving at speed in a capable sports car in comparison with something more dangerous. Think of how much more concerned a cop would be if a 2000 intrepid was going 90 with a trailer full of mattresses as apposed to a Boxster traveling the same speed, you may get a ticket regardless but chances are lower in the Boxster.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 10-05-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #50

Quote:

Oh yeah, I guess you also imply that all Porsche owners undergo a rigorous assessment to demonstrate their complete lack of asshattery, once behind the wheel, enabling them to get a free pass, unless in Cyprus.
If I was a cop and pulled someone over with an attitude like yours - he's getting a ticket no matter what he's driving.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #51

I'm all for enforcing laws for public safety, but I've seen way too many traffic stops focused on revenue generation. Pulling over cars going 15 over on an empty interstate seems to be much more common than pulling 15+ in residential areas.
ByteSaidFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #52
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteSaidFred View Post
I'm all for enforcing laws for public safety, but I've seen way too many traffic stops focused on revenue generation. Pulling over cars going 15 over on an empty interstate seems to be much more common than pulling 15+ in residential areas.
In Colorado they had a long interstate that had a 2-3 mile section of 50 on a 75 mph interstate. There are like 2 empty shacks. CHP hides behind 1. Total a$$ hole about it if you call it a revenue building corridor.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #53

Quote:
They will pull you over regardless, however, it is fairly disrespectful to assume that cops are not educated on the vehicles they are patrolling. Once they pull you over though, as well as attitude they do take into consideration this risk of you driving at speed in a capable sports car in comparison with something more dangerous. Think of how much more concerned a cop would be if a 2000 intrepid was going 90 with a trailer full of mattresses as apposed to a Boxster traveling the same speed, you may get a ticket regardless but chances are lower in the Boxster.
It's not disrespect; I just think (hope) that the education and training that officers receive focus more on other things than on car knowledge - like being able to spot a potential drunk driver or someone weaving, etc.

I mean, wasn't your point earlier that it is the driver and not the car that earns a ticket. Besides, how did we go from Honda civic to a Intrepid doing 90 while towing while the Porsche remains a Porsche? Did I miss the part about the Honda towing something? And now your suggesting cops should also know/do know the year of a vehicle? Out of curiosity, what ARE the things that we should know about a 2000 intrepid? Is that model year, compared to the others, less capable of doing 90 while towing mattresses?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
If I was a cop and pulled someone over with an attitude like yours - he's getting a ticket no matter what he's driving.
Well, good for you!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #55

Garage
This conversation is getting a little off topic. It doesn't matter what youre driving, only how youre driving it. And you can say all you want how crappy cars will have people with drugs and warrants in them and occasionally youd be correct, but if you wanted to run a whole bunch of dope and youre a drug lord, would you put a car with busted tail lights and sketchy dudes in it? Nope, they can and will put them in modern lexuses with all kinds of people you'd never expect in them. Theres a thousand things we are looking for when we make traffic stops and there's no guaranteed method of success. Bottom line, if you dont want to be stopped then operate your vehicle in accordance with the law. If I stop you for speed, and thats the only issue and your attitude reflects you have made a mistake and are sorry, for me thats a warning, no matter what you are driving. If youre driving like a jag and you act like one too, doesn't matter what you got stopped for, youve earned the ticket for being disrespectful and wasting my time. A lot of nice people still get speeding tickets. They all knew what they were doing and knew the consequences yet it is always someone's fault not their own when they get the ticket.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #56
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
You have had you license for how many months now?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #57

Garage
First ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You have had you license for how many months now?

I can't drive after 8 until next month, no hiding of that, however, it does seem I was not clear, I by no means ment that the drivers of these busted up cars or such are less likely to be respectful or anything else, but what I personally have heard is that cops tend to be more lenient based on how much of a threat the vehicle you are In poses to others. A tractor trailer traveling at high speeds is quite a threat to all motorist around, while an accord going the same speed is less threatening to other motorist. Can be the exact same driver or kind of driver between the two cars, in the case I personally had an suv, I would be much more accepting of a ticket in the suv under same conditions and unlawful driving then doing the same in the boxster. However, either way, I am pretty excepting that the law is the law and under no circumstance are you entitled a warning or reduction, however, I would be more expecting of a ticket in the case I was driving an SUV.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #58

Quote:
I can't drive after 8 until next month, no hiding of that, however, it does seem I was not clear, I by no means ment that the drivers of these busted up cars or such are less likely to be respectful or anything else, but what I personally have heard is that cops tend to be more lenient based on how much of a threat the vehicle you are In poses to others. A tractor trailer traveling at high speeds is quite a threat to all motorist around, while an accord going the same speed is less threatening to other motorist. Can be the exact same driver or kind of driver between the two cars, in the case I personally had an suv, I would be much more accepting of a ticket in the suv under same conditions and unlawful driving then doing the same in the boxster. However, either way, I am pretty excepting that the law is the law and under no circumstance are you entitled a warning or reduction, however, I would be more expecting of a ticket in the case I was driving an SUV.
Seriously:
http://faculty.washington.edu/heagerty/Courses/b572/public/StrunkWhite.pdf

Your credibility will rise, once you grasp some basics. Also, you use too many qualifiers.

Out of curiosity, what and from whom do you hear things?

Last edited by cfos; 10-05-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Seriously:
http://faculty.washington.edu/heagerty/Courses/b572/public/StrunkWhite.pdf

Your credibility will rise, once you grasp some basics. Also, you use too many qualifiers.

Out of curiosity, what and from whom do you hear things?

Word on the forum, at car meets, and from a man with personal experience of being stopped multiple times in a Lamborghini and only ticketed when he had an offense other than speeding.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #60

Garage
Wow. This thread kinda exploded. For the people concerned with me doing 50 for half a block in a residential area, it wasn't a residential area. For the people concerned with me calling a cop a jerk because I got a ticket, he wasn't a jerk because I got a ticket. He was a jerk for giving me an excuse as to why he had to give me a ticket. If I deserve a ticket, give me a ticket and I'll accept it with a smile on my face and a, "Thank you officer and have a safe day." But maybe that's just me.

Now carry on. I want to hear more about this Intrepid, towing the mattresses.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote