Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Hard Top rattling

All - I just got a '99 with a hard top and it really rattles over the slightest bump. Is that par for the course with those or does it need to be adjusted or something? I'm kind of clueless with this since I'm a new owner. Thanks!

555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
b0xt0La

Quote:
Vehicle shake: If the hardtop rattles, replacing the centering-pin caps with redesigned caps might correct the problem. (1997)

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2333

Hope this helps.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 AM   #3
Forum Contributor

Thanks very much. Does the (1997) mean that it probably only applies to the '97? I have the '99. I will have that checked though. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:44 AM   #4
b0xt0La

If your problem is similar to the one mentioned in the review then I think the fix they suggest should take care of it. I doubt the reviewers tested every model year with the hardtop on so maybe that's why it only says 1997.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #5
Unregistered

Back when I got my 2000 Boxster S I knew I would want a hard top to go with it to give it a more vintage look which I like. Months after looking I did find a second hand one that matched the same Artic Silver from my 986 S. The shop helped me install the top and after a while I did notice that it was a bit noisy and the fitment when removing and installing was a bit sloppy? I went to the dealership and found out that there is a Hard Top kit that must be purchased in order to maximize the fitment of the top. It's basically 2 cylindrical stub shafts with a key notch that need to be applied into the holes on l & r side where the handles tighen down on. They are keep in place with an allen head type screw. If you got your hardtop second had you don't have this on your car as it's only requried for hardtops.

Stanislaus R.R.
Houston, Texas
www.rothbauer.us
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 AM   #6
Forum Contributor

That's exactly the case on mine as well. I just recently picked up a '99 with only 21k miles and it had the hard top. But as it turns out, it must have been added after the fact because that's exactly what mine needed.

I took it into the dealership the day after it actually lifted up a little (in the rear) on the freeway! Scary.

Thanks for all the great posts on this topic...
Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #7

You were driving around without the inserts for the lever locks. The only thing holding your top in place was the front latch. So you are lucky. That is why I asked if your top was a factory option as then the car comes with the inserts already installed. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
b0xt0La

Is it a hassel to install or remove the hardtop?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #9
Forum Contributor

It's no hassle at all to put it on or take it off. Should be done by 2 people though since it weighs 55 pounds.

I have no idea about the inserts listed above though. I had the dealer do it. Tool Pants could probably do it blindfolded, but not me.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #10

I agree you do need 2 people to remove or install the top, it's not really the weight it's the size as it's just wide shaped that makes in necessary for 2 people to install or remove. I have removed it once by myself but it was not fun. ;p)

[IMG]x:\incoming\boxster_s_03.jpg[/IMG]

Stanislaus R.R.
Cypress, Texas - USA
www.rothbauer.us

Last edited by Rothbauer_Racing; 11-08-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Rothbauer_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote