Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #1

Oil Question

What type of oil does the 987S come with out of the factory? The sticker says Mobile 1 but doesn't indicate the rating (0W40, 5W40, 5W50)? Does it matter which of these I top up the engine with as the car is still new and simply needs a quart or two?

rpdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #2

Call the dealer where you bought the car. I'm guessing 0W40 because that is what Porsche mandated for all the dealerships to use in the Porsches coming in for service.

It's always best to use whatever is in being used in the car today unless it is an emergency. Don't guess though. Just make one phone call and you'll know for sure.

If it is 0W40, good luck finding it anywhere outside of a stealership...I can't get it anywhere else. That's why I'm going to change to 5W40 next time around... just to have it available at $3 a quart cheaper than the stealership's parts counter.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks, great advice. I'll call tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #4

Porsche uses M1 0W-40. This is also known as Europeon Forumla as it meets all the German specs. Most US oils actually DO NOT meet this spec, so if that matters to you, try to get your hands on EP.

Wal Mart usually DOES stock this oil but is sometimes out. It is usually priced at about $5.49 per qt.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdelaney
What type of oil does the 987S come with out of the factory? The sticker says Mobile 1 but doesn't indicate the rating (0W40, 5W40, 5W50)? Does it matter which of these I top up the engine with as the car is still new and simply needs a quart or two?
Be careful.

Look closely at the guage before you top it off. There are two lines on the guage that are the "safe" range so it does not need all of the bars lit for it to be full.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
each bar is a cup or so? 1/3 of a litre? i forget.

i don't think you should ever need to add "a quart or two" in one setting unless there was neglect.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #7

^ exactly. And check the dipstick as well to coraborate the digi-stick...oh that's right you 987 owners don't have a dipstick..lol..hope you have good faith in computers.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #8

Hi,

Remember, the Boxster M96 Engine is a Quasi-Dry Sump Engine. There's almost always plenty of Oil in the Engine.

Don't be too Anal about keeping it topped up as the Readout is notorious for innacurate readings unless checked when the Engine is Cold, such as in the Morning before Driving.

Anything above the 2nd Bar on the Readout is Overfilled, and the 2nd Bar to the Bottom is the Minimum OK Range. You are not Low unless the level registers under this Bar, in which case, the Bottom Bar will Flash. Anything in-between is OK.

The Danger in Overfilling is that you will damage the Emissions System, the Cats in particular - very spendy replacement.

As mentioned, each Bar is approx 1/3 Ltr. and you should only add Oil in 1/2 Qt. increments and then wait at least 3 min. before checking the level and adding more to prevent Overfilling. If Overfilled, you need to drain the excess amount before driving...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #9

All good points. I'm at the stage where it is on the last bar and flashing. I didn't realize each bar is only about a 1/3 of a quart. Thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
grabbed my manual ('06 base 987, though the manual appears to cover the S, too; regarding oil there are no differences between base and S noted) --

"The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the (oil level) segment display is approx. 1.2 litres.

Each segment of the display corresponds to approx. 0.4 litre."

re: topping off --

"Add at most half a litre of engine oil at a time."

for reference:

0.4 litre = 13.5 fl. oz / 0.423 quarts / 1.69 cups (just over one cup and two-thirds, which is what i would use).

1 litre = 1.06 quarts

more fun (so i can just look it up here rather than grabbing my manual):

oil change with filter = 7.75 litres (8.19 quarts)
oil change w/o filter (perish the thought of not throwing on a new filter!) = 7.5 litres (7.93 quarts)

oil!

Last edited by bhduxbury; 03-21-2006 at 09:24 AM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote