Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Garage
Fitting Rear Speakers

Does anyone have any experience in fitting rear speakers (in the box behind the headrests)? I was hoping that Harvey would produce some more kits but he has informed me that he has decided not to continue. I am therfore left with the option of either using the standard Porsche speakers or looking elsewhere for something a little better.

If anyone can suggest a good car audio shop in the Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells Kent area (United Kingdom) that would be a big help.

For info - all the parts required for installing rear speakers in a 986 are available directly from Porsche. I understand the speaker grills are no longer available in the USA however they are in the UK.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #2

I have fitted them, not a great help to you if Harvey's not making any more kits:

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Rear Speaker Kit - 986 / 987

Have a look on Boxa.net, some guys have made their own brackets and grilles.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

If you already have the speaker enclosure, you can buy the speaker cover and the speaker inserts. Be warned though, the speaker inserts only accept a 2.5~2.75 inch speaker. I made a set of wooden repalcements to fit my infinity 3.5" speakers, but I could only fit one speaker. The stock insert will fit two of the 2.5~2.75 speakers.

During my search - after I found my 3.5" would not fit - I found a set of 30~35 watt 2.75" speaker by Boss or something. I'd have to see if I can find the URL for them though. If you are interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #4

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
During my search - after I found my 3.5" would not fit - I found a set of 30~35 watt 2.75" speaker by Boss or something. I'd have to see if I can find the URL for them though. If you are interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.
Yes please, I have bought the grills and the inserts but they are only plastic so I can file them bigger if necessary. If you found a set of speakers that will fit then that would make things much easier.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

I added speakers to my rear box about 10 years ago. I used Focal components: small mid-range and tweeter with a crossover box. Any goodi car stereo shop should be able to do the conversion. They'll need to flip the box over and make some cuts to fit the components. When mine was done, the shop was able to keep the sliding doors in place. The biggest challenge was to hide the wiring and midrange speakers when the doors were open. The speakers were mounted for the sound to exit on the sides, not through the middle

Last edited by thom4782; 08-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Actually, you can't file the inserts to fit a bigger speaker. There is not enough material and the box has additional bumps (so to speak) that prevent placement of multiple larger speakers as well. Just as an FYI, my building wooden inserts left only 1/8" in the surround that broke. Even though I fiberglassed the mounts. THis is why I eventually gave up the idea of dual 3.5" speakers and droped down to one and why I looked for the smaller speakers.

I'll boot up my other server tonight and see if I can find the link for you.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

OK, these are the speakers that should fit. Note: I did a lot of searching based on the speaker insert diameter, but can't guarentee these will fit.

S275CH - Power Bass 2.5 / 2.75 Inch Speakers - PowerBass

They are Power Bass 2.5/2.75 speakers.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

I used infinity Kappa 4"x 6" speakers in my rear compartment. they are slightly angles to fit.
Amazon.com: Infinity Kappa 462.11CFP 4"x6" 2-way plate speakers: Car Electronics

got to remember that you can always cut the "plate" these come in. and yes my sliding door still functions!
ill get some pics up soon
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
OK, these are the speakers that should fit. Note: I did a lot of searching based on the speaker insert diameter, but can't guarentee these will fit.

S275CH - Power Bass 2.5 / 2.75 Inch Speakers - PowerBass

They are Power Bass 2.5/2.75 speakers.
Unfortunately not available in the UK and Amazon.com want $61 to ship ... need to find something closer to home. Maybe I should just buy the Porsche supplied ones but it erks me to pay £30 / speaker for something that isn't very good.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

Garage
This may be good news for some - HarveyPNP of the custom 986 rear speaker kit fame is not producing any more speaker kits however he does still have a box of the laser cut aluminium brackets for mounting 3.5 inch speakers in the rear boxes. If you are interested drop him an email at harveypnp@gmail.com.

Cost is $30 a pair plus shipping costs.

Last edited by chipmunk; 08-21-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: additional info
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstud17 View Post
I used infinity Kappa 4"x 6" speakers in my rear compartment. they are slightly angles to fit.
Amazon.com: Infinity Kappa 462.11CFP 4"x6" 2-way plate speakers: Car Electronics

got to remember that you can always cut the "plate" these come in. and yes my sliding door still functions!
ill get some pics up soon
Pics please! I'd love to see how a speaker that size can fit.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #12

I jammed these 3.5" speakers from crutchfield into the oem mounts. Not the prettiest install but they sound great. I did blow the kicker's after 6 months but replaced with sound ordinance (both $30 a pair). I hope this helps.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378168629.148988.jpg
Views: 5451
Size:  249.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378168642.219628.jpg
Views: 4147
Size:  227.8 KB
juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

Garage
I haven't received my brackets from Harvey yet but as soon as I do I'll post some pictures of what they look like with and without installed speakers.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
I approached the problem from a different angle.

These are 5 ¼" 150 watt speakers that produce much better bass than speakers half their size. The downside, they only are heard when the top is up - which was fine with me since I am listening to the exhaust when I'm topless.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
02Brutus986

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I approached the problem from a different angle.

These are 5 ¼" 150 watt speakers that produce much better bass than speakers half their size. The downside, they only are heard when the top is up - which was fine with me since I am listening to the exhaust when I'm topless.

I just got my boxter and it has stock ccr220 and it's better than nothing. But I like what you did. You say you can only hear it when tops up, but do you get anything at all when it's down? A little bass bump or anything? I also know this was placed awhile back but has anybody found any other ways since this was posted that's new and could help the rear speakers. Thanks to all who write on here I have gained a lot of tricks and insight
02Brutus986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #16

Garage
There are a lot of posts on the forum on how to upgrade the speakers and std head unit. Be warned though, once you start you'll find that you need to upgrade the whole system. The biggest difference for me was putting a small flat subwoofer behind the passenger seat. It just fits in without loosing too much leg room and makes a huge difference to the base.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #17
02Brutus986

That is what I might just do, put a flat woffer behind the seat. I'm not looking to be a teen again and have the next county hear me when I start the car. I just want to get a balance going in the sound. I forgot all about the flat speakers. Thanks for the help
02Brutus986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #18

JUst finished doing this

I used a single Polk 3.5 inch speaker on each side. I purchased OEM Porsche brackets, did not know about the aftermarket ones or I would have went that route. I purchased a Black mesh trash can from Bed Bath and Beyond for 5 bucks and made grills and they look great. Back when I was re-dying my carpet I made a wiring harness and installed it so I have 6 conductors going from my head unit to the rear, I allowed two extra wires for future expansion (USB Charging etc). While my Pioneer head is wired directly into my OEM amps using adapters I powered the rear speakers using the AMP in the Pioneer. Mixing just the right amount was easy and the sound is so much better now. Be sure and use electrolytic capacitors as a base filter/crossover and enjoy.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
There are a lot of posts on the forum on how to upgrade the speakers and std head unit. Be warned though, once you start you'll find that you need to upgrade the whole system. The biggest difference for me was putting a small flat subwoofer behind the passenger seat. It just fits in without loosing too much leg room and makes a huge difference to the base.
Are you referring to a low profile subwoofer or something actually flat?

Do you have a link for what you used ?

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote