Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Shift linkage question.

I've posted before about this but decided to snap some pictures to let you guys decide. I'd really appreciate any comments or help because I'm lost now. My car has stopped going into gear with the motor running but will shift into gear with it off (not as smooth as it used to be but still does) I was told to check the linkage at the transmission side and took a few pictures, everything seems to be fine to me. I'm thinking now it's the clutch or flywheel? I'm no mechanic so bear with me, I really want to drive it soon!

The only questionable things I can think of is that tiny bolt sticking out? Not sure what it is if anybody can help. And I have what I believe is a leak somewhere in the brake system, when the fluid became low, the clutch pedal became super light. I'm pretty much begging for help before I have to bring it to a dealer. Any help is very much appreciated. I've been learning a lot from there forums and am looking to learn more about my car. Thank you, Matthew.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

1.Fix the hydraulic fluid leak
2. You may need a replacement slave cylinder VW/generic part-cheap.
3.Check engine mounts for deterioration
4.Check clips on shifter cables. Use zip ties for temporary added security of they pop off too easily.
Let us know what you find.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm gonna find the leak first, fix and then have the brake/hydraulic lines bled and flushed and hope that helps. Will also take into account your suggestions. I just drove the car cross country and didn't have any problems shifting. So maybe a clutch is out of the question? Hopefully! Cheers!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

The slave is cheap and easy to replace.
If you have close to 100,000 miles (????) it is time to inspect/check the clutch AND the DMF ,the RMS and the IMS bearing.Delay could be very expensive.
The DMF wear is often measured incorrectly and refitting a worn one does horrible things to the crankshaft.
"Search" and ye shall find -the gory details.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Sadly I am almost at 105k (bought with 93k in Jan) my plan is to replace rms and IMS along with clutch. I just moved to the east coast and getting set up with new job now, being 21 years old, I don't have much money saved and wanted to be able to put that project aside for a few more months. Thankfully I have a truck as well if it comes down to it. Thank you for your help man, it really is appreciated.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #6

Let's hope this is the extent of the problems.Easy to end up with a money pit. And resale is poor.
On the bright side, you've got plenty of time to do all the searching for diy tips/photos/videos.