Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Garage
While I'm doing the ROW 030 install

What else should I consider?

Just over 100k on the original suspension. Ask the wife if I could get the ROW 030 for Christmas. She said maybe. I can use basic tools but never worked on a suspension. I'll have to get jack, stands, and torque tools. Also going to get 101 and Bently manuals. I know there's quite a bit that could be replaced. What should I consider as maintainence and what would be upgrades? I don't race but I'd like to do a DE and maybe AX someday.

2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #2

It is not that hard of a job too do . do all your research ahead of time. A local Harbor Freight can be real helpful . It would be a good time to service your brakes and replace any worn out suspension parts .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #3

I did the ROW M030 job in the garage a couple of years ago, it's not too hard, but time consuming (2+ weekends).

Get an OTC 6297 ball joint separator (Amazon etc) to make your life easier, and good spring compressors.

The front struts pull out from under the wheel arches once the lower A-arms are loosened (pad the fender lips!), but the rears must be completely taken apart.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

its not difficult to DIY. bear in mind though .. after the overhaul - you should do a full geometry on your setup to make sure its all lined up (toe-in/camber etc).

as an example, when I did mine, i found my toe-in to be out significantly ..... and finally realized that the U shaped part mounting on the base on the engine - which attaches to the suspension was slightly bent (probably from a sudden vertical impact like a pothole or something)
BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks guys. If I wanted to go to an adjustable set up at the same time do I just have to replace the front and rear control arms? I can find GT3 Porsche control arms for $850 each, oem for $450, and TWR for a little less. For the rear arms i see Tarrent adjustable rear toe ones for $450 a set. Any other pieces I would need?
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
If you doing this you might as well do your wheel bearings.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

You're more than welcome to bring your car down here and work on it if you want to.?. I have lots of tools and a lift! I would gladly help you get it done and I run a salvage yard, not a repair shop. So I wouldn't charge you anything but maybe a cold beer when we're done.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
You're more than welcome to bring your car down here and work on it if you want to.?. I have lots of tools and a lift! I would gladly help you get it done and I run a salvage yard, not a repair shop. So I wouldn't charge you anything but maybe a cold beer when we're done.
I might take you up on that. This is looking like my Christmas project so hopefully it won't be too chilly. The misses might enjoy so time in Bastrop too. Of course that means she's shopping while I'm working lol.