986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Blown engine. This sucks! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53947)

Swhitcomb 09-04-2014 06:57 AM

Blown engine. This sucks!

Well, in December of last year, on my 37th birthday, I was finally in a place in life that I could afford a Porsche. Found one liked, a Black on Black 02 Base. Had 61k miles on it. Price was right, and it was in good shape. It was at a dealership that took the crap Scion I had to trade, and financed me on it. Within 60 miles the check engine light went on and it ran like crap. I bought it with no warranty. However, the dealer agreed to repair it. After some issues, they took it to a good European shop and got it fixed. MAF sensor had failed. Over the next several months I drove it, and enjoyed it. However, I couldn't help being afraid something expensive would break. It's a fun toy, not a commuter car. For that, I had a company vehicle. At the end of June, after 10 years, my company took my company vehicle. Suddenly, the Boxster was being driven 110 miles daily. 2 weeks in, I was halfway to work and suddenly it jumped. Had half as much power, and the check engine light went on. I pulled over, and it died. I nursed it home. About halfway home the check engine light began to flash. Should've just had it towed. Got it home and pulled the code. P0343. Cam position sensor fault. I figured the problem was electrical. I wasn't at a point where I had the money to take it to a shop. So it sat. I found a new job with a company car, and got to a point where I could take it to a shop. My wife thought it'd be a $5000 repair. Nonsense I said, it's an electrical issue. $1500 maybe. Well, the same shop who fixed the MAF called me within a few hours of getting it. No compression on cylinder 2, and that was just the 1st one he checked because it was throwing a misfire code on that cylinder. He told me they weren't equipped to do an engine swap, but reccomened a shop that was. I had it towed there. That shop had a 2 week waiting list. So patiently I waited. It had now been 2 months since the car broke. 2 weeks later he calls me. Lots of metal in the oil, car needs a new engine. Wonderful. The car has 64900 miles on it. It's going to cost 14.5k to replace the engine. Bad thing is, with the trade in, I still owe about 15k ok it.

So, when it's all said and done, I'll have a $30000 986 that's worth about 8.5. I am very disappointed and dismayed.

Perfectlap 09-04-2014 07:18 AM

Ouch! Sounds like you could have done some things differently to have minimized this risk.
But what's done is done. If I were in your shoes I would park the car and keep an eye out for a used motor. No point wrecking your credit. You'll have one expensive Porsche once its running again but the math on owning these cars long-term is always horrible. You either lose $40k in depreciation or you end up spending as much on repairs and maintenance, upgrades as you paid for the car in the first place.

Deserion 09-04-2014 07:46 AM

qualityporscheparts on eBay does have take-out engines that may be a fit for what you need. Not endorsing, just suggesting to take a look.

Topless 09-04-2014 07:47 AM

A bad day for sure.

Find a same year replacement motor at a dismantler for $3-5k, have the IMS and chain guides replaced and get it installed. Maybe $6-8k and you are back in business. Things could be worse.

Giller 09-04-2014 07:57 AM

That's really crappy man. I feel for ya. I just got to a similar place in life where I could stretch it and get a Porsche - and now I too do live with a similar fear.

Good lesson for all new buyers - get a PPI done before purchase and check/change the oil often. Everything I've read says consistent oil changes will give you good notice to hopefully help avoid impending doom. (not foolproof of course).

Swhitcomb 09-04-2014 07:57 AM

Well, the 14.5 gets me a rebuilt by Porsche engine with a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. I had the shop order it. Just very dismayed. Partially by the short lived engine, and more so by the fact that I can't do it myself. I've built lots of VW aircooled engines. I hate that the boxster is so unserviceable.

78F350 09-04-2014 07:59 AM

Sorry for your loss. Like the others are saying though, it can be fixed for a lot less than your current quote. I am still very new to these, but before buying learned that I would have to budget $2-$3K a year for care and feeding. $14.5k is well beyond that.
I'm guessing that you are not in a position to DIY, but that is a possibility if you have some aptitude, time, and space. There are some good guides, and plenty of people on the forums to help with questions. Do you have any local enthusiasts that may lend a hand? I would if I was local.

Swhitcomb 09-04-2014 08:18 AM

Just to make myself feel better. The rebuilt engine also includes a new LN IMS bearing and clutch and flywheel. In fact, the shop says only my AC compressor and throttle body will be reused, the rest will be new or rebuilt. Still though, it's a lot of money. It does seem on par with what I've read others have spent for the same thing.

JFP in PA 09-04-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swhitcomb (Post 417149)
Just to make myself feel better. The rebuilt engine also includes a new LN IMS bearing and clutch and flywheel. In fact, the shop says only my AC compressor and throttle body will be reused, the rest will be new or rebuilt. Still though, it's a lot of money. It does seem on par with what I've read others have spent for the same thing.

Ummmmmmmmmmm......., I have a problem here. All factory reman engines coming out of Porsche since 2005 carry the oversized non serviceable IMS bearing that requires a total engine tear down to replace. Exactly where is your shop getting this engine from??

daveccpa 09-04-2014 08:56 AM

Man that sucks. I also just purchased a 2000 Type S with only 55,000 miles on it and really hope I don't have those kind of issues with it.

Deserion 09-04-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swhitcomb (Post 417146)
Well, the 14.5 gets me a rebuilt by Porsche engine with a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. I had the shop order it. Just very dismayed. Partially by the short lived engine, and more so by the fact that I can't do it myself. I've built lots of VW aircooled engines. I hate that the boxster is so unserviceable.

Reman engine through Porsche won't have the LN IMS bearing. Best option may be to get a good used engine, do the LN IMS retrofit, RMS, AOS, and other easily-accessible-while-out parts and save about 8-10k.

Giller 09-04-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveccpa (Post 417151)
Man that sucks. I also just purchased a 2000 Type S with only 55,000 miles on it and really hope I don't have those kind of issues with it.

Remember - these forums are here for people to help people, so most of the posts you read are asking for help fixing something. With tens of thousands of these cars still rolling happy and healthy - it's still a small percentage that suffer any kind of catastrophic damage such as this. And there are things you can do to help manage the catastrophic damage. Regular maintenance is key.

If you search through the forums - you will find a nice thread about the 100k club - lots of those cars have had zero issues other than routine maintenance.

jb92563 09-04-2014 10:21 AM

Theres a lot better ways to spend 14.5k.

If it was me I'd call Jake Raby and for the same money end up with a much more bullet proof upgraded HP engine than just going with the same thing you had fail on you already.

Just saying that if you want a better outcome you have to change the path, not repeat it by going down that same path again with a reman standard Porsche Engine.

Or

Sell your car as a roller for 5K and buy another 9.5K Boxster and roll the dice again.

or

Buy a 5K engine with ~50k miles on it and cut your losses.
(14.5K will get you 3 rolls of the dice with this option so your odds are better)

No cheap options some are clearly better than the others in my opinion.

peterbrown77 09-04-2014 10:53 AM

This just highlights the truism: You can buy a 9-year old $70,000 car for the price of a new Kia - but the day it needs to go in the shop it's still a $70,000 car.

flaps10 09-04-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

[snip]
Partially by the short lived engine, and more so by the fact that I can't do it myself. I've built lots of VW aircooled engines. I hate that the boxster is so unserviceable.

First, I feel for your pain and the expense you're going through.

As a guy who built his own air cooled VW engines I feel there are way more similarities than most Porsche fanatics would care to admit.

I looked through the engine build sequence on flatsix's page and was impressed with the design differences (the crank running in a bearing carrier instead of right on the case halves), but in the end it's a horizontally opposed engine with two more cylinders and the cams (plural thank you) out where they belong. You just have to move the expected prices over one decimal point.

Quote:

You can buy a 9-year old $70,000 car for the price of a new Kia - but the day it needs to go in the shop it's still a $70,000 car.
That is the truth right there.

The VW engines I built were hopped up and you had to be just as meticulous as Jake discusses on his 986 build or you were just throwing your money away. If you slap a type 1 together you will get what you deserve in short order.

Engine comes out from underneath just like a bug. There isn't tons of reach from the top but there isn't much to be done up there anyway. There is access from the front side which no air cooled VW had, and pretty much everything else it comes down getting at it from underneath.

As for the rest of the car outside of the longblock, I'm finding it to not be any more exotic or difficult to work on than any other car I've owned (and I've owned plenty of cars and worked on them all).

seningen 09-04-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterbrown77 (Post 417158)
This just highlights the truism: You can buy a 9-year old $70,000 car for the price of a new Kia - but the day it needs to go in the shop it's still a $70,000 car.

And in three years that KIA is still crap -- maybe crappier and about worthless
the Boxster is still giving you PermaGrin.

Treat it like a $70k car with the PM to match -- but find a reasonable Indy to maintain it for you -- or educate yourself.

In 10 years -- you could still be enjoying the
Boxster -- while others are on their 3rd KIA :-)

Mike

Lobo1186 09-04-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

14.5K gets you another 02 base. IDK that price seems pretty steep.

BYprodriver 09-04-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 417150)
Ummmmmmmmmmm......., I have a problem here. All factory reman engines coming out of Porsche since 2005 carry the oversized non serviceable IMS bearing that requires a total engine tear down to replace. Exactly where is your shop getting this engine from??

Good point, plus supposedly only short blocks are available from Porsche now.
When Porsche supplied complete engines with accessories it was a 2 year warranty if installed at a authorized Porsche dealer. Be sure to see what you are getting & what the warranty is, in writing!

seningen 09-04-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 417182)
Good point, plus supposedly only short blocks are available from Porsche now.
When Porsche supplied complete engines with accessories it was a 2 year warranty if installed at a authorized Porsche dealer. Be sure to see what you are getting & what the warranty is, in writing!

Call Sunset Porsche and get a quote -- they'll be pretty close to cheapest if
you go the factory route (not that I recommend that) but some folks
will pay for that comfort.

Otherwise do what others have suggested and search the reputable dismantlers.

I just used my last 2.7L -- or I would have had a heck of an engine for you for 2/3 that cost.

Mike

Crono0001 09-04-2014 02:24 PM

Why do you owe 15k on a base 02 Boxster?

You realize that someone earlier this year was selling a 3.6 swapped Boxster S for that much. This forum has Boxster S's going for 12k for an ad price without any bargaining.

That's a really bad situation that you're in. If you have a car to drive around, I would either sell it as a rolling shell and work to pay off debt, or save up and DIY. 14.5k is ridiculous for OEM. To put it in perspective, my 3.8 swap costs about that much, and I'm getting 350whp.