Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #21

Garage
It was fall of 2002 & I was working as a new car test driver for 80% of the brands for sale in the U.S. Over the last 2 years I had predetermined the Porsche's had the best handling feel. Then the 2003 Z06 debuted with 405HP, this car was a blast to drive with instantaneous massive torque. The titanium exhaust sounded great but so loud, is it 1970 again?? I didn't trust myself with this for a DD. Vipers fell in this same category + very uncomfortable after 30 min. drive. Drove every Porsche from base Box to GT2 & determined Box "S" was the funnest just needed more power. Management change took the enjoyment out of the job so I quit meaning I was back to my own DD a Mustang conv I bought when I worked for Saleen.
Last 2 cars I wanted to check since my former company didn't have BMW or Honda account were M3 & S2000. Rented a S2000 for a day, fun car simular to Box's just not as good & there's no easy cruising in them, just constant shifting. Test drove a few M3's, hated the SMG trans & sound of the straight 6. Finally rented a 330i conv on 3/2/2003, date of the 1st drifting competition in U.S. Nice all around car,does everything well, (even drifting), but it's no Boxster.
In the end it came down to Box "S" or C5 conv. The C5 is alot more comfortable & powerful. If I lived in a more rural area than So CA I may have gone the C5 route. I have always loved the way the Box is so nimble, it's the funnest thing I have ever driven, especially after fixing that lack of power issue!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #22

I wasn't actively looking. I was just surfing the Internet and looking at different Porsche's on ebay and AutoTrader. When I saw how low the prices were for Boxsters, I began looking closer until I found my 2000 Arena Red / Beige 986. It has turned out great and led me to purchase a 1972 914 as a project car and a low-mile 955 Cayenne S for my daily driver. Purchased all three for less than what my wife's Audi A4 cost.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #23

Garage
I chose the blue one.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #24

S2K
E46 M3
E36 M3
Miata
Z4
818BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #25

Garage
I still really want an Alfa spider or a gtv6. I considered z4 and z3, too common, mr2 late model.. No trunk... Slk, father has history with Benz and says they are a nightmare. Boxster it was, still want an Alfa to supplement though.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #26

Garage
Had six 914's back in the 80's and 90's...always loved the mid engine handling. Had a Miata for 10 years - loved how easy it was to work on. Left all that behind when my daughter was born...

Ten years later it was time to get back to my roots...
Ferrari 308/328...they look great, but are terrible to drive...not to mention crazy unreliable!!
MR2 - 1992-94...hard to find and ones that are out there are stupidly modded by little boys
MR2 Spyder...would be great for my daughter one day ...interior too "cheap" feeling/looking and "blah" body
M Roadster...I never could get past the "nosey" looks
M3 E46....I think someone else said it here - too douchey, plus I really wanted a middie
S2000...technically, this is a mid engine car since the engine is behind the front wheels, but I just don't like how v-tec engines perform...NO LOW END TORQUE!!!!! Plus, the interior is terrible!!!!
Lotus Evora...I really wanted to like this one, but was just not impressed with the driving...kinda like driving a Camry, wait...
Lotus Elise...this was actually my first choice, but these things are soooo small and it would not make a good car to go on a date (interior too uncomfortable and sucky A/C) It did drive awfully nice!!
another 914 ... these things are going for more than 986's!!!...and I wanted A/C and power steering!!!
996... I just did not like the drive as much as the Boxster!!
987S...I drove so many of these and they drove really well, but I did not like the interior. Plus, I have to admit, I was a little afraid of the IMS

I started looking exclusively at 986's. The S was plenty of power and low end torque and I really like the interior. It is kind of a modern-day 914...especially the 2000 model - no cup holders, plastic window, no glove box. I realize most will say these are drawbacks, but I get in this thing to drive. I would never want to be distracted by a drink and the glove box is just a place to store crap (and worry about it getting broken into when the top was down). Mine has heated seats and the M490 with DSP...just the right amount of modern and a fabulous drive!!! I really do think it is the perfect car!!!
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7

Last edited by Ebell914; 08-29-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #27

I did it backwards......I bought a Boxster S, then a 993, then a Miata. Still have the latter two.............

Last edited by coreseller; 08-29-2014 at 01:16 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #28

Garage
Here what Bill and I had before the Boxster
As strange as this sounds bill had been away
From cars for years. He wanted to back into
The car club sene. Contacted the local Porsche
Club found out to join you had to own a Porsche.
All were out of his price range. Plus the Audi was
A fully optioned TT with 70,000 miles on it.
It was a 3.2 Quattro s-line.roadster.
One night on EBay just Looking at different
Car prices. He put our zip code in the search
Field and it brought one up for a rather cheap
Price about four hours away.
Next day the dealer called the rest is history.

Last edited by Jinx; 08-29-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebell914 View Post
Had six 914's back in the 80's and 90's...always loved the mid engine handling. Had a Miata for 10 years - loved how easy it was to work on. Left all that behind when my daughter was born...

Ten years later it was time to get back to my roots...
Ferrari 308/328...they look great, but are terrible to drive...not to mention crazy unreliable!!
MR2 - 1992-94...hard to find and ones that are out there are stupidly modded by little boys
MR2 Spyder...would be great for my daughter one day ...interior too "cheap" feeling/looking and "blah" body
M Roadster...I never could get past the "nosey" looks
M3 E46....I think someone else said it here - too douchey, plus I really wanted a middie
S2000...technically, this is a mid engine car since the engine is behind the front wheels, but I just don't like how v-tec engines perform...NO LOW END TORQUE!!!!! Plus, the interior is terrible!!!!
Lotus Evora...I really wanted to like this one, but was just not impressed with the driving...kinda like driving a Camry, wait...
Lotus Elise...this was actually my first choice, but these things are soooo small and it would not make a good car to go on a date (interior too uncomfortable and sucky A/C) It did drive awfully nice!!
another 914 ... these things are going for more than 986's!!!...and I wanted A/C and power steering!!!
996... I just did not like the drive as much as the Boxster!!
987S...I drove so many of these and they drove really well, but I did not like the interior. Plus, I have to admit, I was a little afraid of the IMS

I started looking exclusively at 986's. The S was plenty of power and low end torque and I really like the interior. It is kind of a modern-day 914...especially the 2000 model - no cup holders, plastic window, no glove box. I realize most will say these are drawbacks, but I get in this thing to drive. I would never want to be distracted by a drink and the glove box is just a place to store crap (and worry about it getting broken into when the top was down). Mine has heated seats and the M490 with DSP...just the right amount of modern and a fabulous drive!!! I really do think it is the perfect car!!!
My 01S was broken into last week at my house in my carport. I Had a gun locked in the little console but had left the car unlocked. I thought I had rather them get what scarce items are inside rather than have them cut the top open to get inside. I should have left the windows down and locked so the alarm would have gone off..lesson learned. The pin broke on the console cover and let them get the gun $300 value...really could not tell any other damage...I can epoxy the pin back...it was in the drivers seat.

I had three cars burgled that night, my E36 which suffered more damage than anything else. The glove box was jimmed violently to get inside and tore the dash up and ruined the glove box..one Sig gone $600.

Police catch the guy one street over recover my stuff....including my wallet that was locked in the Honda CRV. I went down to the PD and they gave me my wallet but the $400 in cash will probably never be returned to me.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #30

I was looking to replace an Acura 2.3 CL manual with 180K miles. I started looking for a used Acura TSX, Lexus IS, Infiniti G (coupe and sedan) in a MY range to cost under $15K. I was avoiding the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 due to reliability concerns. All had to be manuals. With limited options locally, I used our wonderful interwebs to expand to a national search. I read all the C&D comparisons. They all sounded much better than the CL, but still lacking.

I was sharing my frustration with a friend at work, and he (a car enthusiast but never owned a Boxster) suggested the Boxster. Quick searches to determine price range, then started thinking about the Z3/Z4, TT and S2K. Read the C&D stuff again, and decided to make Boxster the only option. I could still drive the Acura in the Winter.

I test drove a local 99 with 130K miles I had no intention of buying just to confirm Boxster was a good choice. The condition of the car was bleh, but it convinced me.

After that, I only looked at Boxsters - Autotrader, Cars.com, Cargurus and e-bay. Scored my 01 S unintentionally on E-bay. A flight to Sacramento, a friend's drive to Chico, and I had a ride home.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #31

My 1998 E36 is the most reliable bullet proof thing I have ever owned
Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
My 01S was broken into last week at my house in my carport. I Had a gun locked in the little console but had left the car unlocked. I thought I had rather them get what scarce items are inside rather than have them cut the top open to get inside. I should have left the windows down and locked so the alarm would have gone off..lesson learned. The pin broke on the console cover and let them get the gun $300 value...really could not tell any other damage...I can epoxy the pin back...it was in the drivers seat.

I had three cars burgled that night, my E36 which suffered more damage than anything else. The glove box was jimmed violently to get inside and tore the dash up and ruined the glove box..one Sig gone $600.

Police catch the guy one street over recover my stuff....including my wallet that was locked in the Honda CRV. I went down to the PD and they gave me my wallet but the $400 in cash will probably never be returned to me.
Do you have surveillance /security?
Sounds like the local trouble have been keeping tabs on your nice cars coming and going.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #33

Sadly No

The thieves broke into 29 cars in our subdivision from4 AM until 7:30 when they were caught. They wanted money, guns and drugs. I had a 200 folder in my BMW and it was tossed on the seat (still in the box), GPS left behind

Morons
Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 AM   #34

Sold my 2007 SLK 280 and got the Boxster.

My DD is a 2006 A3
For fun, 1986 190E 2.3-16, 1989, MK1 convertible I've owned for 14 years.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I had a few Audi tt cars catch my attention, but having driven Porsches for almost 30 years, it was an easy decision. Once I got serious about them, it became an addiction. 5 Boxsters later, I'm always looking for another. And, I seriously like the Generation 1 986 over the other, newer cars. They just seem to be more a drivers car.

Rick
I totally agree Rick with your comment about the drivers appeal of the 986. I have owned many sport cars in my life and could have purchased newer S models but was drawn by the simple lines of the 986S and its tremendous engine, brakes and best handling car I've driven to date!

IMO ... I prefer the cleaner lines of the pre -2003.
FLAT64EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT64EVER View Post
I totally agree Rick with your comment about the drivers appeal of the 986. I have owned many sport cars in my life and could have purchased newer S models but was drawn by the simple lines of the 986S and its tremendous engine, brakes and best handling car I've driven to date!

IMO ... I prefer the cleaner lines of the pre -2003.

I may move up in the Porsche step ladder over the years. However, I will always always have a 986 likely even the 2.5 I love the S, but the simplicity of an early 2.5 is great.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
The thieves broke into 29 cars in our subdivision from4 AM until 7:30 when they were caught. They wanted money, guns and drugs. I had a 200 folder in my BMW and it was tossed on the seat (still in the box), GPS left behind

Morons
Than why leave money, guns, and drugs in your car?
FirstPorsche987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 PM   #38

Was looking for an Elise or Exige when I happened across a Boxster for about half the cash. Ten minutes into the test drive it was a done deal.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPorsche987 View Post
Than why leave money, guns, and drugs in your car?
My cars were in my carport, I had a legal hand gun locked in each glove compartment or console of each. I always travel armed and have a CCW. In fact I was a reserve deputy and shot on a pistol team for our local PD for many years. I am also a Master Instructor with the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Thieves are always looking for money, drugs and guns....nothing we can do will change that nature of this sub-race of humans.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #40
Toppy

Garage
A year ago I was looking at a 1964 Impala convertible, when a friend of mine whom is in a wheelchair and has a 2000 911 that he gets people to drive him around in, finally talked me into taking him for a drive. I was intimated by the car, and had not driven a standard for over 20 years. After a 4 hour drive I was hooked (only stalled it 1 time), the 64 Impala was no longer a consideration. I had always liked the Boxster and was driving mine by end of last September.