Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

BAD... Dead Optima Battery

So, after 6 weeks away on business, etc., I returned to a VERY dead Optima battery in my '02 Boxster.

So dead, that when I connect any power source to the emergency power connector in the fuse block, the horn sounds constantly. After some five minutes, however, it quiets down significantly.

Things I tried: 14 V jump box - fully charged, jumper cables, battery charger, hi amps, low amps, 75 A boost, turning key to unlock, and lock / unlock, turning ignition on. Removing fuses, etc.

After the horn quieted, I left my 2 A battery charger on it for three hours... To no avail. What do I do, any ideas? Without taking a wrecking bar to the hood, I have no idea as to how I can open it to service the battery.

Please let me know what I should do next. --- before having car towed to Dealer$hip.

Thanks in advance...

'60 356A coupe
'60 VW 'vert (356 SC engine)
'02 Boxster
Tomkreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkreiner View Post
So, after 6 weeks away on business, etc., I returned to a VERY dead Optima battery in my '02 Boxster.

So dead, that when I connect any power source to the emergency power connector in the fuse block, the horn sounds constantly. After some five minutes, however, it quiets down significantly.

Things I tried: 14 V jump box - fully charged, jumper cables, battery charger, hi amps, low amps, 75 A boost, turning key to unlock, and lock / unlock, turning ignition on. Removing fuses, etc.

After the horn quieted, I left my 2 A battery charger on it for three hours... To no avail. What do I do, any ideas? Without taking a wrecking bar to the hood, I have no idea as to how I can open it to service the battery.

Please let me know what I should do next. --- before having car towed to Dealer$hip.

Thanks in advance...
If you have access to a Ctek maintainer, many models have a "recondition" mode which will pull severely discharged AGM batteries back from the brink.

Plug the Ctek into your lighter socket and follow the unit's directions, and the next time you go away for six weeks, leave the car on a Ctek maintainer.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

just get a new battery bro.
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Bummer -- there is a release cable behind one of the front tire liners.

Do a google search for it. Someone will have posted instructions.
Might not be the easiest thing to get at, but better
than a wrecking ball.

If you can't get to it without removing your wheel -- and of course the locking lug nut is in your frunk - I have had success with a 24mm deep socket and an appropriate amount of force to pop it on the lug, then remove like any other lug nut.

good luck,

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkreiner View Post

Thanks in advance...
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Wait. So on an '02 there isn't a little flipper on the door sill like my '00 that pops the frunk?
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Wait. So on an '02 there isn't a little flipper on the door sill like my '00 that pops the frunk?
Its electrically operated. Doesn't work if the battery is completely dead.