Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

front bumper options

I recently acquired a 1999 and it needs a new front bumper.

any experiences with aftermarket bumpers?

recommendations appreciated

e2porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

I still have my factory bumper covers on my car, but toyed with the idea of replacing them a while back and did some research.

Lots of the aftermarket ones you'll find that are reasonably priced are made from fiberglass, which is easy for a body shop to sand and tweek to fit your car perfectly. They can even do some fiberglass work on them if they're not quite right.

HOWEVER, they're brittle and not very forgiving. Bump a curb stop (and you just might because the aftermarkets are lower and more aggressive looking) and it will crack the fiberglass and off to the body shop you go for a repair and respray.

Now the alternative is to purchase a much more expensive aftermarket polyurethane bumper or a factory bumper off a newer model. I think your 1999 can accept a bumper from a 2002 or earlier, base or S model.

If I were you, I'd get yours repaired at a good quality shop that knows how to repair poly bumpers or get a salvaged one and respray it. If you live anywhere near Houston, Texas I have one I will sell you cheap to get it out of my garage.

Hope this helps!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

I just picked up a 2002 Boxster that needed repair where someone backed into the license plate and put two holes in the bumper. I went to a local body shop and he said it would take hours to repair this one, and suggested I look at options for a new one. I ended up buying the Precision Porsche Urethane Turbo Style bumper. The body shop said they had problems with a lot of the release agent from the mold causing fisheyes, but they worked through it. It fit quite well for an aftermarket bumper, and was very heavy and thick compared to the original. I fit it myself and it only took a couple hours to get it secured properly. I did have a problem with the Rennline license plate holder which fits the tow hook hole. It was a little bit off, but I made it work without compromising the look. Maybe the turbo bumper sits just a little bid different than a Boxster. it was close though.

This is also a great time to clean out your radiator ducts. Mine had lots of leaves, butts, and miscellaneous road accumulation in them. Clean now

If I did it again I am not sure if I might go fiberglass. It will be cheaper and easy to repair if something did happen, but then I hardly drive mine so that is a minimal risk! The guys at Precision Porsche were great to deal with. I bought it on eBay They were good about returning calls to discuss whether to remove the original air ducts too.
Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

Find yourself a factory bumper from a Generation I (1999-2001) 996. Bolts right up and has a much better look.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Find yourself a factory bumper from a Generation I (1999-2001) 996. Bolts right up and has a much better look.
will the 996 turbo bumper bolt right up??

do you know the part number?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

I think it will. No idea what the part number might be though.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2porsche View Post
will the 996 turbo bumper bolt right up??

do you know the part number?
You can go to the DC Dismantler website and find the parts - they usually have the part number associated with the items.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Here is my turbo style bumper. I left the grills white for now, and can always do the black, but a lot of people are saying they like the "clean look" of the white.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
Westwood, that is sharp looking!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post

Here is my turbo style bumper. I left the grills white for now, and can always do the black, but a lot of people are saying they like the "clean look" of the white.
is that the factory bumper or aftermarket?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #11

It is aftermarket from Precision Porsche. Check their website for what they have. Tony there told me this is the only urethane bumper they make.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post

You've got my intakes, Cult-Werks?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #13

FVD - Brombacher. Expensive bit different.