986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tony Stewart hits rival driver, kills him in Sprint car race.. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53619)

Timco 08-09-2014 10:10 PM

Tony Stewart hits rival driver, kills him in Sprint car race..

Stewart pinned Kevin Ward against the wall. Tire blows. Yellow.

As he comes by on yellow, Ward runs out on track gesturing to Stewart.

Stewart hits the gas to throw dirt on him and catches him with the rear tire, throws him 50 yards across the track.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/police-investigating-sprint-car-incident-involving-three-time-nascar-champion-tony-stewart-081014

Pdwight 08-09-2014 10:42 PM

Here is the video

Graphic warning up front

Its hard to tell what happened but the guy should have never charged into a mass of cars on the track pointing at stewart I suppose. I am not making any defence...if it was deliberate it was murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaHUN6JFPc

Timco 08-10-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 413914)
Graphic warning up front

Its hard to tell what happened but the guy should have never charged into a mass of cars on the track pointing at stewart I suppose. I am not making any defence...if it was deliberate it was murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaHUN6JFPc

Video down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYF-cw6oA4&feature=youtu.be

RedTele58 08-10-2014 02:28 AM

doctorm3 08-10-2014 04:01 AM

Time for Stewart to find himself a good lawyer........he's gonna need it.

m332is 08-10-2014 04:44 AM

I have raced for years and rule number one of racing is never go out on the racing surface without a car wrapped around you. That guy's anger put him in harms way. With that said, TS should have ignored him and passed by on a low line. I'm sure TS will write a big check and I'm no lawyer, but I can't see how this will escalate into jail time... but he will be writing a large check.

Timco 08-10-2014 05:00 AM

Per ESPN, Stewart will race today....

Davev 08-10-2014 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 413930)
Per ESPN, Stewart will race today....

...And more people than ever will be watching.

doctorm3 08-10-2014 05:36 AM

Ward should have stayed in the car and saved his argument for pit row. That being said, if Stewart doesn't gun the throttle nobody gets hurt. Unintentional murder.... aka manslaughter. It's will take some good lawyering for Stewart to just write a check. To me, that is some pretty strong video evidence.

Timco 08-10-2014 05:51 AM

What's interesting is searching for actual event witness quotes.

Read the comments and witness quotes...

Video: Tony Stewart Runs Over Driver During Confrontation, Killing Him

papasmurf 08-10-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davev (Post 413931)
...And more people than ever will be watching.

Not me...I don't have a mullet and still have all my teeth:p. I used to work at HD back when stewart was all the rage and they constantly fed the workers the stewart/NASCAR kool-aid. I could never watch NASCAR when they refer to them as "stock cars"....on a more serious note, it is sad to see that driver's life come to an end so early, and for so many people to see it first hand.

TeamOxford 08-10-2014 05:57 AM

Stewart's a big mouth bully. Always has been.

Can't believe the authorities are not pressing criminal charges, specifically manslaughter.

"Business as usual" says Stewart Haas Racing. You'd think that out of respect for Ward they would withdraw from today's race.

Classless.

TO

Timco 08-10-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamOxford (Post 413938)
Stewart's a big mouth bully. Always has been.

Can't believe the authorities are not pressing criminal charges, specifically manslaughter.

"Business as usual" says Stewart Haas Racing. You'd think that out of respect for Ward they would withdraw from today's race.

Classless.

TO

Likely advised to "keep calm and carry on" like it was nothing to do with him. Emotion can be read as guilt or blame. Seems very easy to take the 'shouldn't have been on the track' defense and run with it. Clearly Ward's actions contributed to his own death.

I don't watch NAscAR either. I like the races with Porsche, Ferrari and all the names racing. Don't even know what it's called.

Timco 08-10-2014 08:03 AM

Autos Tony Stewart won't race after incident - ESPN

Will not race today. More info at link.

TeamOxford 08-10-2014 08:58 AM

Stay tuned to see how his major sponsors Bass Pro Shops and Mobil 1 react.

This could be a career ender.

Just sayin'..........

TO

rfuerst911sc 08-10-2014 08:58 AM

Yes TS is a hot head and an arrogant prick but I don't see him doing jail time. It's a poorly lit track........at night.......with a driver in a black drivers suit getting out of a black car. The driver never should have climbed out of his car and walked onto a hot track walking towards traffic. Apparently the car in front of TS saw the driver at the last second and swerved, apparently TS did not. That will be his story I'm sure. Sad for all involved and their families.

TeamOxford 08-10-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 413957)
Yes TS is a hot head and an arrogant prick but I don't see him doing jail time.

Agreed on all points. IMHO, if criminal charges are issued, he'll walk. But the civil trial will require "the Big Check".

And current and future sponsors won't want anything to do with him.

TO

thstone 08-10-2014 09:20 AM

Never get out of your car on the track. Never. Ever. Every racer knows this.

Perfectlap 08-10-2014 10:54 AM

He MOST certainly will face prosecution.

And the Frances along with NASCAR will be writing the biggest check they have ever signed.
Years of token fines on millionaire arseholes have come home to roost.

Timco 08-10-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 413970)
He MOST certainly will face prosecution.

And the Frances along with NASCAR will be writing the biggest check they have ever signed.
Years of token fines on millionaire arseholes have come home to roost.

I don't think this race had anything to do with NASCAR, did it?

thstone 08-10-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 413974)

Correct, nothing to do with NASCAR.

This was a Sprint car race (open wheel cars on dirt tracks) held at Canandaigua Motorsports Park (north of Syracuse, NY).

NASCAR is racing at Watkins Glen today which is about 80 miles southwest of Syracuse.

Lobo1186 08-10-2014 11:29 AM

I doubt anything will come of it. There is absolutely no evidence of foul play. His defense only has to be that he didn't see him til the last second because of the car right in front of him.

RedTele58 08-10-2014 12:21 PM

thstone 08-10-2014 12:39 PM

"Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges right now after a Saturday night incident in which Stewart's car struck and killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.

In a news conference shortly after 3 p.m. ET Sunday, Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Phillip C. Povero said, "At this moment there are no facts or evidence that would support a criminal charge or criminal intent.""

Sheriff says no criminal charges will be filed against Tony Stewart | FOX Sports

TeamOxford 08-10-2014 12:44 PM

Very intelligent and eloquent post RedTele.

It takes two to tango. Ward paid for his actions, now it's time for Tony to pay for his.

Maybe this arrogant, violent, big dick trend of bullying will finally end, or at least be subject to fines and discipline.

TO

woodsman 08-10-2014 12:44 PM

If we all saw the same video than many are making big assumptions (typical). What I'm wondering is why TS car is over steering while under a yellow, as he hits the other driver. Was he on the throttle as many conclude or swerving hard to avoid and encountering over steer? Obviously ( to most), such a sad, sad incident-- I mean 20 yrs old.... :confused:

ianacole 08-10-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 413936)
What's interesting is searching for actual event witness quotes.

Read the comments and witness quotes...

Video: Tony Stewart Runs Over Driver During Confrontation, Killing Him

I watched this video, repeatedly watching the moment of impact. What I saw was that Tony turned the wheels to the right and blipped the throttle, just prior to impact, which would have flipped the tail to the left, away from the person on the track. You can see the back end kick to the left just a little, a little too late. My supposition, and it is only that, is that TS picked him up out of the corner of his eye and tried to take an evasive maneuver.

Either way, this is going to be a mess. I doubt we will ever see TS in a car again.

gmboxster 08-10-2014 01:25 PM

I'm certainly NOT taking sides in this incident. It is a tragedy to be sure. But you should never, ever get out of your race car onto the track to confront someone.

Perfectlap 08-10-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 413974)

Trust me the family's lawyers will name Stewart, NASCAR, and anyone who allowed Stewart to enter this race. And they will find a way to argue that the wrist slaps he's received in the past contribued/permitted his status as an 'safe' driver whose aggression was incompatible with a junior formula.... or something to that effect. And a bunch of other stuff that a top dollar law firm will think of. And being that the event took place in NY state where the Governor is potential candidate for higher office, and not in a NASCAR home turf state like North Carolina, means its not just a local prosecutor's call.
The fact that the guy who wrecked him is also the guy who ran him over is very damning (from a victim's lawyer view) and not remotely a risk that NASCAR and Stewart's lawyers are going to gamble with in front of a jury. The family's trial lawyer will simply run "Tony Stewart's greatest "hits"' of deliberate spins and crashes in front of a jury to show he's a hot head, dangerous and skilled enough to know that he should have kept to the inside instead of driving close enough, presumably to flip him off or worse scare him, to have put the deceased in danger. Thats where the state prosecutor will be pondering Stewarts actions as "depraved indifference" or whatever they call it in New York state. And its not just criminal intent as the Sheriff mentioned under the prosecutor's consideration, but also criminal negligence. Frankly I'm amazed that the Sherrif has come out so unequivocally in Stewart's favor at this stage when all evidence that may exist hasnt even been gathered yet. But as a civil matter, the defendants won't let it go that far even if plaintiffs would love to settle during trial where the stakes go up ten fold.

Either way NASCAR will be writing one giant check whose sum will of course be 'confidential'. A NASCAR team owner killing a kid not old to drink a beer has no precedence. Which means they will be swinging for the fences.

BIGJake111 08-10-2014 02:10 PM

There is a track in North Carolina where dirty stuff like this goes down all the time. It seems pretty common for antics on a dirt track, weather dissing, or legitimately seeing red. Serious reason to stay in your vehicle. However, TS seems to have clearly been attempting to do something, weather it be a scare tactic, diss, or intention to hit. It seems fairly common with hot headed drivers on dirt.

Sorry that i have forgotten the name of the North Carolina track, it is the one that is so small that drivers must pit outside of the track.

Nine8Six 08-10-2014 06:15 PM

Horrific to see such am ambitious young man life being ended so early. Respect and my prayers goes to both families.

I wouldn't want to appear trying to defend any one, but it looks as if TS tried to rev the car hoping to drift it away from him. Clearly Ward was too close, TS saw and knew that. He also knew, as an experienced driver, that the car would have drifted downward when reved up.... obviously that was TS's only way to avoid getting that kid hit by the back wheel. What I think happened here is TS just decided to do so too late.

And for info; No drivers/racers, TS or whoever, has any sort-of "malicious intentions" as described by some of the medias (sad to see in fact). That just doesn't exist. What the media are doing is not good for the industry at all. Not the type of event and reporting those involved in mosports wants to see happening at this particular moment.

I really feel sad for both of those guys' families :( horrific incident, for both sides

Timco 08-10-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 414020)
Horrific to see such am ambitious young man life being ended so early. Respect and my prayers goes to both families.

I wouldn't want to appear trying to defend any one, but it looks as if TS tried to rev the car hoping to drift it away from him. Clearly Ward was too close, TS saw and knew that. He also knew, as an experienced driver, that the car would have drifted downward when reved up.... obviously that was TS's only way to avoid getting that kid hit by the back wheel. What I think happened here is TS just decided to do so too late.

And for info; No drivers/racers, TS or whoever, has any sort-of "malicious intentions" as described by some of the medias (sad to see in fact). That just doesn't exist. What the media are doing is not good for the industry at all. Not the type of event and reporting those involved in mosports wants to see happening at this particular moment.

I really feel sad for both of those guys' families :( horrific incident, for both sides

Not a NAScAR fan, but it's my understanding that TS has a long history of poor attitude and sportsmanship, intentionally spinning out rival cars, and has been fined repeatedly. While not malicious, it seems he could possibly have been reckless or retaliating. With the bank of that track, any rear end break free would cause down slope slide, no?

With 15 or so other cars on the track it's nearly impossible to say the rev noise was his car. Don't all these cars have to tap the gas to keep moving, not like a normal car?

I did stupid things at 20.......(sadly, still do...)

RawleyD 08-10-2014 07:09 PM

WTF is that dumbass running out in the middle of the track for?? :rolleyes:

Timco 08-10-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawleyD (Post 414022)

To be that hometown guy who put his helmet through TS's window and get noticed?

Nobody claims the initial maneuver was against any rules, didn't look like TS sent him into the wall intentionally when he wrecked & spun out.

RawleyD 08-10-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 414023)
To be that hometown guy who put his helmet through TS's window and get noticed?

Nobody claims the initial maneuver was against any rules, didn't look like TS sent him into the wall intentionally when he wrecked & spun out.

He just had to be a 'tough guy' and run out in front of everybody. Probably wanted him to get out of his car too and fist fight. That'll show' em!

:matchup:

Wrencher 08-10-2014 08:25 PM

Please

That dumb ass local 20 yo kid climbs out of his car after being schooled by a pro (mistake #1), then RUNS INTO TRAFFIC! (mistake #2). Most people on the national (TV) level never see what goes on in the trenches at these bullring local events. That's why Tony (and I'm no fan - jerk) loves these events. Have we all forgotten what real racing is?

I tell every one at the driver's meetings for the club I direct to STAY IN YOUR CAR!
There is one exception to this rule - If your car is on fire, please exit the vehicle....

Nuff said.

Hans

Oh sorry, Just got a '98 Yellow Boxster!

Perfectlap 08-11-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawleyD (Post 414022)

That's what the kid grew up watching in NASCAR where he saw his idols pretty much doing the same with rarely a severe fine or expulsion from the next race. It's part of the stock car culture. In open wheel racing Michael Schumacher would run down to the McLaren garage to scream "Coulthard you you tried to kill me!". But he did so only after the race because the fines for doing anything on a hot circuit would be severe and would fall on the team and not just the driver. NASCAR had a hand in downplaying the importance of safety, not just in tantrums where the driver gets out of the car but in countless other retaliatory and deliberate wrecks at high speeds with 20+ cars in tow and nowhere to go. But this kid was an adult and is ultimately responsible for his actions. Albeit heavily influenced by a series that has never taken the hillbilly aspects out of what is otherwise a very competitive and professional form of racing. This was bound to happen in a junior formula sooner than later.

Pdwight 08-11-2014 06:42 AM

Off topic

I live in extreme North Alabama, the foothills of the appalachia. Nascar has never held any and I mean any allure to me, don't know what it is. I actually volunteered about 6 years ago to work at Talladega to help with Parking, something I will never do again. I did not even stay for the race and I was given free tickets, I actually went to the line and sol my 2 tickets for $30 to simply pay for my gas to go home. This was way under the value of the ticket price so I Reversed Scalped...no law against that. I could not stand the culture that existed around the track, total debauchery and hedonism. I have many friends who feel the same way that also grew up here. I guess I am being a little sensitive to anyone in the south being referred to as "Hillbilly" , I suppose that fits me as my grandfather actually served two terms in a work farm (think cool hand Luke) for making and selling Moonshine in violation of The Volstead Act. Many "Hillbillies, Tar Heels, Rednecks and Yankees gave everything so we would not be speaking German and only driving German right now.

Dwight

Jinx 08-11-2014 07:10 AM

:(I really don't know anything.
But if you on a track and are hit or break down.
Isn't it a rule that you stay in the car.
Until a wrecker (tow truck) comes
Or a corner worker arrives?

Jinx

Davev 08-11-2014 07:23 AM

I only know 2 things for sure about this sad event.

1. I can't say for sure what happened. Not being in the car with TS- impossible to make judgement.
2. TS has a lot to loose and would be an idiot to try to hit someone intentionally and risk loosing everything.

But since the race was at night, the guy coming for him was in black suit with black helmet and TS was driving with a helmet on- my gut feeling it was a total accident.