Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should a Photographer blur the license plate of track photos
Yes 12 25.53%
No 23 48.94%
The driver should remove the plate 13 27.66%
The photographer should not take pics if he wont blur the plate 5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
On the slippery slope

Garage
Should a Photographer blur the license plate

There is a thread on whether or not a person taking pics of cars at the track should blur the license plate
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/53548-i-need-know.html

A poll is in order

It is anonymous and you can select more than one answer

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-06-2014 at 03:19 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Totally up to the driver to remove or obscure. Too many cameras around, he would never see them all.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Totally up to the driver to remove or obscure. Too many cameras around, he would never see them all.
Absolutely correct!
doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #4

Garage
You have to realize that at every track event 50% or more of the cars on track have a Gopro or some other video system. If your that concerned take off your plate. There is no way that 50 to 80 drives from each event are removing your plate from their video and probably 5 % of those videos go on you tube.

BTW I have seen my car on you tube in others videos
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Garage
Im too lazy to blur the photo, so i just try to not post anything involving the plate. However, I voted yes they should be hidden, despite the fact I do not always, heck i say my car with its plate visible as the thumbnail for a video of the local cars and coffee on youtube once.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

If they don't want their plates showing they should cover or remove them, looks better anyway
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #7

Seems the responsibility should fall to the driver to remove it, but a courteous and decent photog would ask before going public with images of someone else's car / tags at a private event, and only a total jerkwad would post someone else tags if specifically asked not to do so.
On the other hand, if you made a video strictly for private and personal use (ie NOT youtube) that incidentally happened to include someone else's tag, I don't see much harm if you can and will keep it private. After all, you were there, and are entitled to your memories, no matter how they are achived.
I know someone will ask "does the same logic apply in the bedroom?" No, there you need consent from both parties for even the private archive, precisely because the potential for both harm and abuse is higher.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:32 AM   #8

I find it ridiculous that plates get blurred. They are already out there for the public to see! I don't understand what the person is trying to protect. Thoughts?
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Seems the responsibility should fall to the driver to remove it, but a courteous and decent photog would ask before going public with images of someone else's car / tags at a private event, and only a total jerkwad would post someone else tags if specifically asked not to do so.
On the other hand, if you made a video strictly for private and personal use (ie NOT youtube) that incidentally happened to include someone else's tag, I don't see much harm if you can and will keep it private. After all, you were there, and are entitled to your memories, no matter how they are achived.
I know someone will ask "does the same logic apply in the bedroom?" No, there you need consent from both parties for even the private archive, precisely because the potential for both harm and abuse is higher.
I do not 'post' things except here and another site. No FB, no Youtube. Even if I did, if I was invited to an event where cameras are welcome, there is no damn way I am blurring out some plate some driver was too lazy to obscure or remove, no matter how much they whined or cried about it. If it means that much, deal with it yourself. Call me a jerkwad I guess........
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

at a track day, blue painter's tape works fine. Otherwise you had your chance.

If a car is photographed in public, you're also SOL as you have no expectation of privacy in public.

If you're the photographer and take your own picture, of your car on your property, with the plate on and post it online you're taking an unecessary risk for no good reason.

and let just add, all databases have been hacked. Public, corporate and especially govt.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
I find it ridiculous that plates get blurred. They are already out there for the public to see! I don't understand what the person is trying to protect. Thoughts?
Ed, I've heard rumors (no clue if there's any truth to them) that insurance companies who suspect you're using your car "off road" at the track will cancel your insurance if they find out, or deny a claim based on the fact that it could have happened at the track, not at the hotel parking lot during the track weekend.

I remove my plate or tape over it when I arrive at the track for this very reason.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #12

If a pic is taken on the street I don't expect privacy
If I was at a track event I would not want my plate published

At the track, if I saw someone taking photos and I went to him and asked that my plate be blurred in any pic he takes of my car I would expect that that happen, or he should not take pics of my car.

A track event is not a public event by the definition of public event, it is a private event and in a private event there are expectations of privacy

for example, the Boston Marathon is a public event, but the Indianapolis 500 is not. Generally tickets to an event have disclaimers and other legal mumbo jumbo about photos and other recordings and other privacy issues

That being said, it is not too much trouble to tape over or remove the plate,
plus3db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #13

Track events are not generally closed events. Anyone can drive in and watch ... less than private, but not quite public.

But, as mentioned above, I am ultimately responsible for securing my own privacy, if I am concerned about it. Someone standing on the corner of the track entrance can take photos all day long, in a public setting.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #14

I think just about any and all cars photographed in a public outdoor setting are far game. Even track events. But once there is an accident or car damage, street or track, that's where I draw the line. Don't post the pictures. But people love to post this carnage and bask in someone's gloom and bad day. That's classless. If the owner wants to share, fine.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

If you don't want your plate online then you should obscure/remove it. No one else cares (or should be expected to care). Track events are definitely fair game.

In this day and age, I have absolutely no expectation of privacy unless I am locked in an underground lair with Johnny Danger.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-07-2014 at 06:46 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Ed, I've heard rumors (no clue if there's any truth to them) that insurance companies who suspect you're using your car "off road" at the track will cancel your insurance if they find out, or deny a claim based on the fact that it could have happened at the track, not at the hotel parking lot during the track weekend.

I remove my plate or tape over it when I arrive at the track for this very reason.
That is the first explanation I've heard that makes sense. In this case, I would do as others have said - tape/cover my own plate.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #17

let alone PCNA warranty denials...