Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #21

In fact, browsing at some car pictures... it doesn't look bad at all with plate revealed.

Must be just me then :/

Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #22

So the unmasked tag argument is:
Someone could break into my house.
So why bother locking the door, just make it easy for them.

And mikeman, as a former photographer, that is just rude. Granted, they could remove their plates at the events to protect their privacy, but outing people's private info when asked not to do so is unprofessional and uncouth. Are you a paparazzi?

These events are not public events on public roads supported by taxpayer money, but are more akin to a private party, when the guests should feel free to remove their sunglasses and drink too much (metaphorically speaking) without fear of it haunting them forever on the internet.

No doubt some database or freak out there knows my sister's brand of shampoo and the name of my dog's vet, but I'm not going to make it overly easy to pin me and my data down, I'll keep the tags covered in any photos. Ok I've vented.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #23

And Nine8Six, that very car was behind me in traffic at dusk the other day. Looks wicked with those upsloping LED eyebrows! Thought it would be some poseur, but nope when it got close, was the real thing, just tooling around in traffic. No front plates here, mate, or maybe I could have googled him
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
So the unmasked tag argument is:
Someone could break into my house.
So why bother locking the door, just make it easy for them.

And mikeman, as a former photographer, that is just rude. Granted, they could remove their plates at the events to protect their privacy, but outing people's private info when asked not to do so is unprofessional and uncouth. Are you a paparazzi?

These events are not public events on public roads supported by taxpayer money, but are more akin to a private party, when the guests should feel free to remove their sunglasses and drink too much (metaphorically speaking) without fear of it haunting them forever on the internet.

No doubt some database or freak out there knows my sister's brand of shampoo and the name of my dog's vet, but I'm not going to make it overly easy to pin me and my data down, I'll keep the tags covered in any photos. Ok I've vented.
Outing people's private information?
The state owns the plate!

If the track is accessible by the public, no expectation of privacy. Sorry. If you're paranoid, it's not up to me to cover your butt. Take your plate off or put a sponsor plate on or whatever. It's not rocket surgery.

I run around tracks with my plates on myself, I'm not a tinfoil hat kinda guy I guess.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
I figure that Google and Steve Jobs must know something the rest of us don't.

Google blurs all license plates in Street View.

Jobs is said to have bought a new car every month so he would always be driving on temporary dealer tags.
google blurs the plates and peoples faces as well due to privacy issues
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #26

until some russian mobster with a new lambo gets warranty refused on his $20k premature wear clutch job because photos of his car at the track show up on the first page of a google search for "lamborghini mosport" ...

this isn't tin foil hat stuff.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #27
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Outing people's private information?
The state owns the plate!

If the track is accessible by the public, no expectation of privacy. Sorry. If you're paranoid, it's not up to me to cover your butt. Take your plate off or put a sponsor plate on or whatever. It's not rocket surgery.

I run around tracks with my plates on myself, I'm not a tinfoil hat kinda guy I guess.
Its probably a gray area whether or not it is "public". If there are fees paid and registration required, it may be considered a private event.

In any case, you are taking pictures of people without their permission and should abide by their wishes.

At many entertainment events, photographers need to be approved and credentialed .

An example is at a concert, they restrict audio recording. It is open to the public, but not a public event. There is a difference and different expectations of privacy

If you were taking a picture of a car on the street it is different than at a racetrack where it could create a problem for the car owner with their insurance company or a warranty repair

Are you selling the pictures you take or getting any consideration for the pics?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-06-2014 at 09:36 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post

Are you selling the pictures you take or getting any consideration for the pics?
nope, unless asked by organizers to use them to promote similar events, they are purely for the enjoyment of fellow track nerds.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #29

Listen to me, as someone who once dealt with very sophisticated criminals in federal court on daily basis, the last thing you want to do is put any personal information on the internet that calls attention to the fact that you have assets worth plundering. And no you don't have to be a billionaire. The profit in these crimes is not in going after a big whale but scooping up all the sardines. The license plate information is not all that relevant but more so the fact that you're not very cautious, and with cyber security in its current state (i.e. poor) a well-traveled criminal probably figures you are sloppy about other things too. Someone who understands the reach that the internet has doesn't take uncessary risk. Case in point, most people have their banking with one of three major banks. Their internet provider with one of only a couple of companies. All of these have been hacked. It's not your physical property they'll be checking out. That's a high risk/low reward proposition that migh actually get them caught... One time we had a guy come on a bank fraud arrest. He had so many different alliases that they weren't sure which was correct so they listed all of them. It took up nearly the whole first page of the complaint. When the he came in wearing belly chains and hand cuffs I figured his age to be about 15. Okay this was like 15 years ago when these sorts of thigns were actually hard to do.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #30

Garage
Russian Criminals Amass Massive Stolen Password Cache - Page: 1 | CRN

That s a link to an article claiming 1/2 sets of login credentials have been found cached in Russia. A more credible newsletter I subscribe to lists a smaller - yet still staggering number. I cancelled a Verizon account over a year ago. Yesterday I got a letter telling me that it had been hacked. Letter stated that the hacker had full access, except for payment details on a stored account - and that was simply because i did not let Verizon auto bill or otherwise store the payment information - although they offered.....so yeah, I don't try to share to much.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #31

You should try to not draw attention to yourself at anytime. It is very easy to find out who the vehicle is registered to via the plate number.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #32

Mindless paranoia
Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #33
Gone

Garage
Total silliness. Park the car in the garage and keep the lights off. Safe.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Mindless paranoia
paranoid, perhaps. what is mindless is your disdain for others opinions.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #35
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
He's from Canada. Gotta give him some slack........
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #36

having been in law enforcement, a plate can be run, providing basic information on the registered owner. if you are that concerned, blur your plate if not, don't worry about it. I have seen in some of the posts some people complaining about someone photographing their cars and plate. if you don't want that to happen, park it in your garage. when you are in public, it is open season for someone to take a picture, and you have no expectation of privacy. if your privacy is so valuable, stay in your house and don't forget to take the numbers for your address off the house!
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
having been in law enforcement, a plate can be run, providing basic information on the registered owner.
You mind running a quick chk on this bad boy for us?! He owes me a ride w/ top down since about a month+

Just kidding with ya. I don't think its a paranoia thing.... these days very few options are left to common people for "protecting" their privacy. If one gets the "felling" that he/she hides his identity, or does well protecting his personal information in any ways possible, whatever it is, then I am all up for it. Go happy and blur your plates... feels good then it feels good that's all there is to it really!

Wouldn't go as far as calling those who does blur out their plates "paranoid"

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-06-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Exactly the point - it is paranoia based on uninformed opinion with no basis in fact, in other words, mindless.

A private citizen, at least in Canada, cannot run a plate - I know because I've tried. If you think you have a reason then you go to the police and state your complaint and they will run the plate and investigate, but they will not release the information to you unless their investigation warrants it. Even a police officer cannot legally run a plate for personal reasons - again, I know as I have worked for the Mounties and am aware of the regulations. Are you starting to understand the difference between "mindless" and "informed" yet? I can try and make the explanation a little simpler for you if need be...

Tell you what - here's my plate: Manitoba DHK 976. Tell me what you find out. Be warned that if you do get any info I will immediately file a complaint with the police and your source will be in trouble.

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-07-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #39
Gone

Garage
Evidence of a crime about to happen. Not for all viewers here. You have been warned!

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/52468-lets-see-your-personalized-plate.html
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #40

Quote:
It's not disdain, it's incredulity that others would demand me (or any other photographer) to alter their work, based on their own paranoia, when they themselves are not making an effort to conceal said "private" information.

Not trying to come off like a dick here, but if you're not going to take the 30 seconds to spin a few screws out of your bumper, don't expect me to take 30 seconds to cover it up in photoshop. On 20 different photos. Of each car. .

I know I know.. :ah:

lol.

It just always blows me away that it should be my responsibility after the fact.