Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

parking brake drum parts

My car is still new to me. After bleeding the clutch the other night my favorite woman and I took it for a spin. Along the way it made a slight metallic rattle which I felt through the parking brake handle and then it stopped.

With her behind the wheel she backed up at one point and it suddenly sounded horrible. I thought a CV joint came apart. I crawled under and the CV boots were fine, the shaft had no play at the ends but moved smoothly in the long direction.

I came to the conclusion that the parking brake had fallen apart inside the drum. So I had it towed home. Yesterday I got up and took it all apart, and found exactly that.

I need both of the springs that hold the shoes to the hub. All of the rest of the parts are fine.

I find them on Pelican for $21 each, which I'm sure is a great deal compared to what I would find if I went to the dealership. But damn. That spring probably cross references to a '63 Buick, since drum brake technology hasn't seem to have advanced in 100 years.

Does anyone have springs left over from having bought the whole "parking brake rebuild kit"?

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Garage
Check with itsnotanova in the parts forum. He has several cars he's breaking down. He might have one.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Face palm. Thanks.

Too obvious I guess
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #4

If it makes you feel better, the springs were handmade in Stuggart by old German craftsmen.

It's $21 spring but let's be honest, you're not driving a Honda/Toyota.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote