Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #1

Boxster trouble

Hey guys,

I have had my Boxster now for about a week or so, but already the problems have began.

Noticed it last week, the Abs and psm lights were flickering on. Next day it wouldn't start. It was ticking over but struggling to start. So I assumed a flat battery. Bought a brand new battery, fitted it and it came alive. Great.

But...after 2 days i tried to start it one morning and it was completely dead. Like dead as a door nail. No dash lights at all. Have I bought a rotten egg?

Thanks.

ChrisC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #2

Do you have a multimeter & a battery charger? If so, here is a quick guide.

1) Check the voltage at the battery terminals - a fully charged battery should = 12.6v, anything less than 12 volts won't start the car and you need to put it on the battery charger for several hours.

2) With the engine is running @ +/- 1,500rpm, the voltage at the battery terminals should be 13.4 -14.3 volts approx. Anything less than 13,2 volts and the alternator / voltage regulator is suspect.

3) If all above checks out OK, then you have a parasitic draw which is flattening the battery - this could be as simple as an internal light left on in the front / rear boots or in the cabin, or alternatively an electrical fault elsewhere in the system.....
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 AM   #3

Leave your key in the ignition, and that sucker will never shut off.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #4

If you just bought it and already there are problems its because the former owners were not able to resolve it.

I would return that car immediately and look elsewhere, otherwise you will be stuck with the bills and hassles some one else could not resolve.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
3) If all above checks out OK, then you have a parasitic draw which is flattening the battery - this could be as simple as an internal light left on in the front / rear boots or in the cabin, or alternatively an electrical fault elsewhere in the system.....
In addition, the cigarette lighter socket in the car is alway "live" even when you remove the key, so make sure you turn off or unplug whatever you have plugged into the socket.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

What did the PPI say? Anything negative about the electrical system?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote