Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #1

Need opinion on bumper grill

I'm debating painting the two grills and the mesh behind them flat or gloss black... what do you guys think?

Leave them as is or paint the grill and mesh black? Or a combination?

rijc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #2

I've got an arctic silver car and painted mine black (to match the side vent slats). looked amazing ... for about a week until road rash abraided it right off.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #3

I like the silver mesh, but I think it would accent to paint the grilles black. My grilles were black on my blue car, so I just plasti-dipped them orange for an accent. I like the way they turned out, but I think the novelty will wear off and I will eventually paint them grey as a more subtle accent.

FYI, I took the bumper cover off to do mine, cleaning the radiators in the process. If you do the same I would make some marks around the upper three screws so you can fit the bumper back into place. Those holes are slotted, and I didn't get mine back on quite right.

My .02
Jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #4

If you're going to leave the center opening red as pictured, leave the side ones silver. If you paint them black it will look too busy and a little ricey in my not so humble opinion.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

Garage
I'm diggin' the black grill, but I'd leave the mesh the way it is.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
If you're going to leave the center opening red as pictured, leave the side ones silver. If you paint them black it will look too busy and a little ricey in my not so humble opinion.
Was the center not supposed to be red? I'm not the original owner so I had no idea the previous owner had painted that. I thought it was part of the S package and matched to the calipers. It just seemed to be molded in the red color so I never thought about it.

I think I'll paint that black too regardless of the grills/mesh. BTW. What color is that red portion supposed to be? Black or body color?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Here's the image that inspired me to think about black grill and/or mesh.

Forgot where I found the picture. So, if its a member's car... hope you don't mind.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
Was the center not supposed to be red? I'm not the original owner so I had no idea the previous owner had painted that. I thought it was part of the S package and matched to the calipers. It just seemed to be molded in the red color so I never thought about it.

I think I'll paint that black too regardless of the grills/mesh. BTW. What color is that red portion supposed to be? Black or body color?

Thanks.
The PO must have painted it red, original on mine was grey, matching the side vent grills. I plasti dipped the center piece and side stock grills black to see if I liked the black. At this point I need to paint them black since there is some chipping. I went back and forth with the silver vs black or something in between for the screen mesh and then settled on leaving it silver, less up keep.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I like the black grills on a silver car. But that's just me.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Here's my old one with the front Zunsport side grills and some black mesh bonded in from the rear. Yes, the mesh is different but you could not tell unless you got this close at this angle.

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #11

Garage
Here are mine
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
I'm debating painting the two grills and the mesh behind them flat or gloss black... what do you guys think?

Leave them as is or paint the grill and mesh black? Or a combination?

I painted my grills on my first car, sadly it was the day before it was totaled, but for that whole 18 hours or so they looked great.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

I would like them for mine. Suggestions on where to purchase for an '04 Boxster S?
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #14
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
For the facelift bumper you can't use the Zunsport style grilles as there is nowhere to clip them on to. You need to go a bit more DIY

It's difficult to make out but the contours are excellent.

The finished effect is super subtle.

The middle one was done too but it was impossible to get a decent pic.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #15

Black, make sure you get the center also. And use Plastidip so it will last.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote