Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

FNG Seattle area

Greetings all. I've been lurking for a bit while doing research on ownership of a 986 Boxster S.

I'm 50 and just now buying my first Porsche. I never thought it would be a Boxster especially since a coworker let me drive his a few years ago, a 2.5 Tiptronic and I was unimpressed on my short drive.

Recently I moved well south of Seattle and have about a 40 mile commute. I ride a motorcycle 365 days/year because, well, I love motorcycles but also because on my commute in pathetic traffic and because of the parking situation at work it saves me 1-2 hours per day.

My girlfriend loves me to pieces but doesn't love my motorcycles. I made the fateful mistake of lusting after a 997 one day (who doesn't, am I right?) and she asked if I would get rid of my bikes for a Porsche.

Well long story short, we reached a compromise.

I've sold 2 of the 3 bikes and have agreed to buy a Porsche and commute 2 days/week. She understands that I'm never going to be without a bike and does acknowledge that she likes when I'm able to get home earlier.

Along the way and doing my research I found a few 996 cars in my area, and what a bargain they seem to be. But for every 996 I found at least 5 Boxsters. I got so tired of seeing them that I decided to take another look and decided that an S model might be just the ticket. Oh, and part of that is that my girlfriend thinks I need a convertible but I find the hard top on a 996 convertible to make the car as ugly as the ass of a corn fed cow.

I'll admit that I'm a car whore. I've owned everything from the hopped up '69 bug I owned in college (built that engine from scratch myself) to rabbits/cabriots/golfs/westy bus/vanagon, a couple of SHO Tauruses, two Miatas, two BMW 3 series coupes and now a 330i sedan. I'll omit the bikes I've owned but the bike I'm keeping is a hopped up Triumph Tiger 1050.

Last week I found a '00 986 S model, black on black with a six speed. Not a scratch on it, the top looks new and the interior is excellent. It drives super tight and after giving it the business on a test drive I decided I would be really happy with it. It reminds me of the Audi TT that a friend of mine owns (she has let me wring the crap out of it), except where the TT is perfectly balanced and GLUED to the road the Boxster will let the tail out a bit. I love it.

Hoping to pick it up tonight or tomorrow.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the adventure.

You sound like you might like the Racing scene with Boxsters too.

Its nice to be able to run a stock car unprepared and not have to worry about it blowing up after a couple seasons racing and still use it as your daily driver as well.

The lady has no idea that she let you out from the frying pan to the fire.

Not only will you get home later in the Boxster, but you'll be finding those long twisty out of the way routes home as well.

Take pictures and share the fun.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! As a fellow 2-wheel addict, I understand how you feel. Luckily I managed to keep my 2 bikes ('90s Ducati Supersports, one for the track, one for the street). However, I rode motorcycles a total of 100 miles during the first summer I owned my 2003 Boxster S. "Honey, do you need me to drive to town and buy some milk?"
Enjoy!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Garage
Hey congrats! We are almost neighbors!!! :-)

Keep us updated on how things go. Welcome!!

Since you're a Southender like me and if you're not a DIY kind of guy, may I recommend Federal Way Foreign for work you need done. (No affiliation....just a really good couple of guys. Been wrenching on P cars and Bimmers for 30 years).

Last edited by Tucker2; 07-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

flaps10

Aviation ?

Right
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

Similar here too.

Also got mine at 50 and my bike use (Ninja at the time, now Ducati) dropped tremendously. My bikes get less than half the use they used too since acquiring the Boxster.

And Tucker 2, thanks for the heads up on Federal Way Foreign. I wonder if they have experience with the LN IMS upgrade?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #7

Garage
I am not sure if they have done that. Worth asking.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #8

Yes, thanks for that heads up on the shop.

Typically no one touches my vehicle with a wrench but me, but it's always nice to have a shop I can trust in case I don't have time or tools for a certain operation.

I have found the e46 BMW stupid easy to work on. Some superb engineering on that old crate. Sad to see they've stepped away from the straight 6.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #9

I have a E36

And I agree I would rather work on a BMW than a Chevy or Ford...very easy to work on
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

Garage
Damn you!!! I have a 2.5 Tip... ...and yes, I find it fairly unimpressive as well. Luckily I have also have a 335xi with Dinan stage 2 software, 6sp manual to take care of my speed needs. They along with my older e46 have provided many opportunities to get grease under my nails. Welcome to the forum! Post a pic when you can!
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #11

Well "pick it up tonight or tomorrow" turned into a week of me pacing back and forth. Finally closed the deal on the car tonight.

I was only able to drive it off the lot and park it, as I had pulled up on my motorcycle and no way was I leaving that there. After signing everything and getting the key I parked it and rode home. Once my girlfriend gets home we'll go pick it up.

We're having spectacular weather here in the PNW so I'm expecting a good drive home.

I've already developed a short list of "pickups", namely that I can't adjust the seat downward. I'm hoping there is at least a way to mechanically drop it and leave it there since it will only be me and occasionally my perfect girlfriend driving it (and she's taller than average).

I'll post up more, plus some pics when I get it home.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

Fun car to drive, not that I need to mention that here. The seat height adjustment works perfectly, once you read how it works

I need to bleed the clutch, so I elected to not drive it to work this morning.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #13

Garage
I have one of those pressure bleeder kits from Pelican. You're welcome to borrow it if you want. Just PM me.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #14

Awesome. PM sent.

Hoping to get that bled soon, so I can deal with this decision every day:

:ah: