Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #1

one small drop of oil?

I just looked under my car after my wife started it up and pulled away and there was one very small drop of oil on the garage floor. I have had the car for 3 weeks now with no other problems or symptoms. I know there can be several sources of an oil leak including the dreaded RMS. Any suggestions on what to look for when the car is back? Is this something that should be looked at by a mechanic right away? Thanks in advance.

97 Boxster
Ocean Blue

coachb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #2

I would get it up in the air and see what is what.

No point guessing or suffering, no?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #3

Def agree with Brucelee get it checked out. Could be one of many things simple to not so simple. Sorry hope it is something SIMPLE.... :dance:
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #4

Yes, lots of deep breathing is recommended. Get it on a lift and have a good look before you freak out. BruceLee is oh so correct on this one.

We must never become emotionally charged over possible outcomes, outcomes that are the worst sort of fears and probably will not happen. I keep telling myself this over and over, by the way!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

Hi,

As Bruce says, there can be many causes. But, if it's small, it's probably nothing to worry about immediately.

Get under the Car and check it out. Check Cam Covers, Oil Cooler Lines and RMS (usually leaks right in the Center) if this is what you find, RMS is usually a Progressive Failure, so you can keep a watchful eye on it.

Also, could be Gearbox, Clutch Hydraulics so check these too. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I have taken several deep breaths. I had a chance to kind of look underneath (I don't have any ramps yet) and it looked liked there was a small drop coming from the dead center of the oil pan but there didn't seem to be any fresh oil coming from anywhere else on the oil pan so I have wiped everything down and will take a look later and see what I see. thanks again, you all are a great resource.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachb
Thanks for the replies. I have taken several deep breaths. I had a chance to kind of look underneath (I don't have any ramps yet) and it looked liked there was a small drop coming from the dead center of the oil pan but there didn't seem to be any fresh oil coming from anywhere else on the oil pan so I have wiped everything down and will take a look later and see what I see. thanks again, you all are a great resource.
I'm no expert but I do know that my mechanic had some problems getting the oil pan to seal at one point. It may just be that.

BTW - do you have a mechanic in mind or are you going with Prestige or Stevinson Imports? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a big Prestige fan - they've got major attitude in their service department. I've heard very good things about Stevinson. Personally, I highly recommend Euromotion/Euroservice at 2020 South Broadway (303.722.2595). The owner is Bob Cramer. He's a good guy and has helped me through a few of my newbie fears.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:54 AM   #8

Denver Pete, thanks for the advice. I am up north in the Broomfield area and was hoping to find an indy mechanic up this way or Boulder, so far the only suggestion I have is Eurosport in Arvada. After wiping everything down I could reach and driving it last night there are no signs of oil anywhere. I will ahve it looked at first chance I get.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachb
Denver Pete, thanks for the advice. I am up north in the Broomfield area and was hoping to find an indy mechanic up this way or Boulder, so far the only suggestion I have is Eurosport in Arvada. After wiping everything down I could reach and driving it last night there are no signs of oil anywhere. I will ahve it looked at first chance I get.
Ahh. I'm assuming the "Denver" is then from the "better put Denver cuz no one is going to know where Broomfield is".

Good luck - I'm sure you'll find someone whom you like. Ask LOTS of questions. You should feel comfortable with your mechanic. Preferably enough to invite them to dinner, your wedding, or your wedding night.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote