Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: How's your leather dash holding up after 36+ months?
My 2+ year old leather dash is damaged near the defroster. 2 20.00%
My 2+ year old leather dash is not damaged near the defroster. 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #1

Leather dash owners...

I'd like to see poll results from boxster owners who have a leather dash. Every single 2+ year old boxster I have seen with a leather dash has rippled leather near the defroster. Does yours have this?

If your boxster is less than 3 years old, please do not answer the poll question. But, I highly recommend adding any comment you wish to make in the thread.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-06-2006 at 07:58 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #2

I have full leather in my 2000 but never realized the dash was actually leather too... but it does look and feel like leather. I figured it was just a high quality vinyl. I haven't noticed ripples though... perhaps the dash is a separate option?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
bmussatti

Full leather includes the leather dash. There is a seperate option (987) for a leather defroster trim (code CNA- $580) and leather defroster air vents (CNB- $390).

Maybe this is why some of the older Boxster's leather dashes are having problems...the owners don't know they are leather! They need to be leather conditioned too! People should also use sunscreens or convertable top covers and keep those damaging sun rays off the leather!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #4

As much as I gripe about how these cars should come standard with leather interiors, this is the one reason I didn't mind that my dash wasn't leather. I worry that even with daily sunshade usage I'd get cracking, warping, etc.

I'm not the type that would have babied the dash as well as I should have, I'm sure.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #5

I think if they used better glue to hold the leather than it wouldn't be affected as much by the heat. The leather itself still appears strong, its just rippled a little where it has detached from the dash surface. I guess having a leather dash is a trade off, you get the leather texture and feel, but not as forgiving as plastic as far as the elements are concerned.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #6

Mine's leather and in perfect shape.......but it doesn't sit outside in the sun everyday either.

Most ferrari's have the same problem......
l8braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #7

My 2000 is pulled back so far that you can see whatever is under the leather. I am going to try to pull the dash and reattach the leather somehow.
blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #8

My dash is in perfect shape. But then I don't think the previous owner had much occasion to use the defroster, heater, or really drive the thing. I do have a tiny scrape on one of the seats. Occasionally there's a bit of dust on the dash for a day. I talked to Porsche about it but they wouldn't cover the dust issue out of warranty.... Damn Porsche.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote