Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

Need Trans. help please!!!!

OK I have a 2003 Boxster S. I noticed some tripping from under the car and saw I had a torn CV boot. Saw I decided to replace them. So, while in right there I also recall during my last DE the tranny was shifting kind of harder than usual, so I though I should change the fluid. When I pulled the plug (near the back of the trans.), nothing came out!!!!! This is really odd since the car does not leak any fluid. So I get my 101 book out and none of the pictures look like my tranny. So near the back of the trans. I see what looks like the fill port, but it is a 13 mm bolt that is about 1 1/2" long. I try to inject fluid through this hole and it goes in.....all 4 quarts!!!! So I decide to pull the drip pan off to get a better look at what is going on. I do see what could be a fill plug on the pass side near the top. I can't get any allen wrenches to fit so I used a pair of vice grips to remove the plug. When I got it out. It has what looks like a magnetic end sticking out. When I looked inside the trans. I can see that this slides into some type of hole. then I saw the hole slide down inside the trans. And I don't know how to get it back up AUUUGGRRRR!!! below are some pictures.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Here is a pic of the plug
Old 06-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

try again.......
Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #4

I don't know what you have done.

I just changed the oil on my 2002 S 6-speed 4 hours ago.

The drain plug is on the bottom of the transaxle, a 10mm hex socket. You need to remove the aluminum plate to get at it. (When I did my IMS 2 months ago, I used a hole saw to cut drill a 1.50" dia hole thru my so I can remove the plug and drain with the cover in place)

The fill plug is another 10mm hex socket plug located on the driver's side of the transaxle, back towards the muffler.

Mine took a little less than 3 quarts.

If whatever was attached to that M8 bolt fell into the transaxle, I'd have to say you're in trouble.

Last edited by peterbrown77; 06-29-2014 at 05:32 PM.
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #5

Did you get any resolution to this?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

Here is the cross post from Rennlist:
I need Transmission help please!!!! - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I am going to get under the car tomorrow after work with my son to see if I can move the shifter linkage to get it back in place. But, I'm not too hopeful. I am probably going to drop the transmission.