Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
In order to come full circle, had my Boxster with cat bypass pipes and ebay manzo exhaust pass the stringent California Smog Test with flying colors.

BTW, all the techs at smog place loved the sound of the exhaust note.
Congrat's on passing!

Most test stations will ignore the visual inspection fail as long as the car passes the emissions test.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #22

Garage
So now the question is: Manzo or TopSpeed?

Tony
Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
So now the question is: Manzo or TopSpeed?

Tony
The Manzo I got is totally awesome. The TopSpeed test pipes worked great, no drone. I would highly recommend both to anyone.

Last edited by Slate 01; 11-22-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #24

Here's my setup...factory muffler with welded bypass pipes. Secondary cats removed and replaced with used Fabspeed bypass. Sound is truly Porsche flat six. I know the factory muffler is heavy, but I don't get any of the dreaded drone, just good sound.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #25

In the first pass, only got the TSPro exhaust installed. Ordered the Bypass/Test pipes today, eagerly awaiting arrival and mod
sjbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #26

OK I am new to Boxsters, but have owned several air cooled 911s. So this is my first water pumper. Anyway, I wanted something better than the stock exhaust and after listening to every Boxster sound clip on youtube I decided to get the TSPro exhaust. On first install I loved it, but the drone was too much at cruise for me. Then I found this thread and ordered the cat bypass pipes. Wow is all I can say. The car sounds awesome and is as quiet as stock at cruise. Totally happy. Anyone contemplating this setup I would say go for it, but get the bypass pipes right away. Thanks for all the info here.
quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #27

Nice! Glad to hear of your success. This setup is now looking like my top choice.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaz View Post
OK I am new to Boxsters, but have owned several air cooled 911s. So this is my first water pumper. Anyway, I wanted something better than the stock exhaust and after listening to every Boxster sound clip on youtube I decided to get the TSPro exhaust. On first install I loved it, but the drone was too much at cruise for me. Then I found this thread and ordered the cat bypass pipes. Wow is all I can say. The car sounds awesome and is as quiet as stock at cruise. Totally happy. Anyone contemplating this setup I would say go for it, but get the bypass pipes right away. Thanks for all the info here.
How is the volume with vs without the bypass pipes? Was the drone completely eliminated with the addition of the pipes or is it still there but to a lesser extent? I have the pipes now and I'm thinking of adding the muffler.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #29

With the bypass pipe is is louder for sure, but cruising there is no 2-2500 rpm drone. So at 55-75mph in gear it is very quiet. If you crack the fun pedal you will hear it, but otherwise silent. I am not a big fan of loud exhausts, so this is on the edge for me. However it sounds so nice.......
quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #30

Thanks for the info. The only thing thats holding me back right now is that I'm not sure if I like the tips or not. I think the facelift S tips still look better than any of the aftermarket offerings and I really want to keep a stock look.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote