Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

Garage
Repair Day Yesterday...Triumphs and Frustrations

Well finally got around to a whole day of projects on the Box (of course mixed with some of her "to-dos".

Got it back from my indy with a diagnosis that involved one pre cat o2 sensor replacement. Knock on wood, but it's been 400 miles since my check engine light was throwing 1128 and 1130. Had the nagging passenger side oil leak that got worse when at high rpms. My indy checked everywhere for a vacuum leak and couldn't find one. My guess was it was cracked spark plug tubes and you guys concurred.

Got all 6 plugs and tubes replaced. Passenger side was my starting point and it was a lot of learning curve. Tips: Disconnect wire from coil pack first. Have two torque wrenches...one in the 40-200in/ ft range and one in the 10-80 ft. Tried dialing my 10-80 down for the coils and it didn't work out so well. Went and bought a replacement screw and a new torque wrench. Used the transom plug for the tubes and it worked like a charm. Found two plugs on the passenger side seemed to be leaky so I'm hoping that's my oil leak issue. Everything went back together and the car started fine. I used the Febi tubes with gaskets included and used NGK plugs. Total time about 3 hours, but its hard to say because I kept getting interrupted. Driver's side was a breeze after learning on the passenger side. Next time I do this, it may take me an hour at most.

Then not yet satisfied, I had an ebay starter motor from an 08 cayman I intended to replace mine with. Had been getting the squeal at startup since I bought the car and it was getting worse. This job was a pain. Intake tube was a bear to get off, then got the throttle body rotated up. Do not leave this on as Wayne has in his book. Remove it. You can't get the starter out (at least on a Tip) with the T in the way. I used this as an opportunity to clean my throttle body any way. The biggest pain was the lower screw on the starter. Ended up having to use two long extensions and go through the passenger compartment. Once I had the socket close I jammed my hand in and pulled the socket onto the bolt. I couldn't manage this on the passenger end. Once I had that on, I got the bolt loose, then reached back in on the engine side and pulled it out. Got the connections off and with the T out of the way got my starter out and the new one in easily. Same protocol with the lower screw in. Glad to be done with that screw.

I ended up removing the sensor screwed into the passenger side plenum/manifold and tried to remove both ends of the J tube to create more room. as it was I got the T side out first, but as I removed the AOS side I broke the damn tube in half. Oh well...only casualty of the day i guess. So car is back together and I made sure the starter pulls, but can't fire it up until tomorrow when my J tube gets here. Total time about 2.5 hours. Tips are to make sure you have strong straight extensions. Mine were wobble extensions which is why I had to reach in to put them on the bolt. Remove the T, don't just rotate it up.

Any questions I'd be glad to help. All in all, not too bad of a day. Hopefully when the J tube gets here and goes on all is back to normal and I didn't create new issues and leaks lol.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Get back to me when you put new rear bearings in. I've done your projects and the rear bearings were a major PITA.

I also found several minor changes to the 101 book that made things easier.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Garage
This was my nightmare (so far)

That stupid, stupid 12 point hex bolt for the transmission.

The pic is how I finally ended up getting it out.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote