Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #1

Front right fender damaged

Wife hit the side of the garage and no I did not take a picture, and don't ask me to;-(
Can't bring myself to post the image.

Any way she scraped the right front fender and right bumper and side marker.
It looked minor so we take it to a high-end body shop I have used many times in the past with very good results. This young Geico kid comes out to do his estimation and says it's $1400, I laughed out loud and indicated that he may need to look up some of the Porsche parts in his little computer. Well we are at 5k and counting as we take the parts off.

So here is the reason I am sharing this embarrassing turn of events. It seems the right side ac condenser was damaged and is being replaced. What do I need to know about recharging the AC? Also they pulled the battery what could happen? Radio, Codes?
Any direction or gotchas regarding the recharge of the AC?
Thanks.

PS. At least they are cleaning the rads out what a mess, for a 07 pcar with 33k miles that stays garaged it sure was dirty!
Thanks!

MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

You have to pull a vacuum. It requires specialty tools. You can top it off, but you can't charge a flat system.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. My wife tore the pass mirror off the Touareg on the garage, then 1 week after getting it back from that claim (in the thousands) she caught a downspout on the edge of a building in a tight parking lot. Have not fixed that yet. Like 3k.

Last edited by Timco; 06-18-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyPit View Post
Wife hit the side of the garage and no I did not take a picture, and don't ask me to;-(

It looked minor so we take it to a high-end body shop I have used many times in the past with very good results. This young Geico kid comes out to do his estimation and says it's $1400, I laughed out loud and indicated that he may need to look up some of the Porsche parts in his little computer. Well we are at 5k and counting as we take the parts off.

So here is the reason I am sharing this embarrassing turn of events. It seems the right side ac condenser was damaged and is being replaced. What do I need to know about recharging the AC? Also they pulled the battery what could happen? Radio, Codes?
Thanks.

PS. At least they are cleaning the rads out what a mess, for a 07 pcar with 33k miles that stays garaged it sure was dirty!
Thanks!
Radio codes are the least of your worries, sorry.
If it is a CDR23 or 24, you don't need as code
other factory radios:

Porsche Resetting Radio Codes
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Thanks JayG for the info good to know I have one less thing to worry about

Last edited by MoneyPit; 06-18-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

Thanks Timco, yeah I know about the vacuum and how to recharge an AC system. Does the Pcar have anything different from other cars regarding the AC system?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
I just posted AC repair in the DIY section. It has all the info you need.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #7

Jamesp Thanks...
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyPit View Post

Thanks.

Thanks!
The right rad was replaced as it was bent also:-( Is there a way to refill with fluid without the vacuum tool?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
I refilled mine without the vacuum tool by using the bleeder under the oil/coolant fill plate in the trunk. There was some overflow after the fill, on 2 or 3 occasions, but it seems fine now.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Be sure to shop around on the internet for your new radiator. I bought a new 3rd party radiator from J.C. Whitney!!!!! Cheap, good quality, and fits both sides. I might have bought it for a few bucks less somewhere else, but J.C Whitney? Brings back memories for an old fart like me.