Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Rear Spolier Light On; No Fault Codes

Hi everyone:

I'd like your opinion as to possible causes for the instrument panel spoiler warning light coming on. Here's what I know.

Today I noticed the spoiler light on after exiting the interstate. Sure enough, the spoiler was in the up position when I stopped and got out of the car to look. I can make it go up and down normally using the switch located on the fuse panel. The Durametric showed no stored fault codes and it makes the spoiler go up and down when 'activated.'

If I had to guess, I would make two. A speed sensor that tells the spoiler to deploy or retract has broken or it was must a one time glitch.

What are your thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Speed sensor.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

Park in an alley lately?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cqCiOPV5w
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
That was funny!!!
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Hi Thom.

this is the diagram for the spoiler circuit.

as you can see, it consists of two relays that converts polarity to the motor based on the up and down function.
the relays are located on the fuse/relay box in the rear trunk (driver side), and activated by the cluster. so if your speed gauge works fine, your speed sensor is fine as well.
there is a small microswitch located on the spoiler mechanism, that indicates to the cluster the position of the spoiler. you might want to have a look at that.

but before you do anything, i suggest you give the spoiler pistons a good clean , and try to gently push it down when another person is pressing the spoiler switch on the kick panel.

good luck.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

Hi Meir:

Thanks for the suggestions.

The spoiler works - goes up and down - when I use the fuse panel switch. It also works when I start and stop activation on the Durametric. After several interstate drives today, the spoiler operated normally and the instrument panel light stayed off as it should.

Perhaps the micro switch is on its last legs. Who knows? I'll look into this further if the spoiler gets stuck in the up position again.

Thom

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote