Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #61

Jake, are you familiar with the famous marshmallow study?

somewhate related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UPokvDqyXg&feature=youtu.be

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #62

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
As a marketing initiative, this is exceedingly weak. I'd be shocked if you receive any donations. Let me explain:
  • What exactly are you "marketing?"
  • As far as I can figure out, you are giving people the opportunity to aid you in getting a car, and in return for doing so, they get their name added to the car's dash
  • BUT: you don't mention this ANYWHERE...
  • It's only until someone clicks on the "Donate" button that they learn this
  • And THEN, you don't bother to show or tell how contributors' names will be displayed...
  • Will they be inscribed on a plate? Written with a Sharpie?? Scribbled with a Crayola? I have no idea, because you never say

This is a pathetic job of marketing, plus I'm sure you'll turn off many potential contributors by telling about your poor ruined Boxster. Not many people are going to give money to a high school student who had a Porsche. Additionally, the story about the "altercation" and police report is just plain confusing. Who cares? To the average person logging onto the gofundme page, you're just a spoiled kid with a confused story and a half-assed pitch for donations.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
This is a pathetic job of marketing, plus I'm sure you'll turn off many potential contributors by telling about your poor ruined Boxster.

Good luck.
I have had many people say this but i feel explaining the previous car and mentioning that it is replaced is necessary for the sake of honesty. I am already having people essentially buy me a car, I want to mention why i want it and such. If i just said oh wah wah i had a nice car it was wrecked i could never replace it, i found this cheap car but i like it, then yeah some people would feel sorry for me, but that is not what i want. I simply want a bit of an art project, a car with a neat story at the end and such. I could just say i like these volvos, help me buy one and get your name on and things would go better, but that isnt quite right with my conscious.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #64

Garage
Jake,

I'm VP Marketing for a global company. 35+ years B2B and B2C experience. Ad copy, product literature, even gofundme pitches need to be well written and compelling. Yours doesn't quite measure up. If you were to rewrite it, what changes would you make?

Here's another question for you to ponder: why do you think the guy asking for money for beer and video games has received donations?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #65
On the slippery slope

Garage
Jake, let me start off that I like you and think you are a pretty smart kid, in some ways wise beyond your years, in other ways extremely cocky. Being 16, that is not surprising being a bit cocky. That being said, this "idea" of yours is basically panhandling/begging.

You have a good head on your shoulders, use it for something productive that you can be proud of.

You are very very lucky to have a Porsche at your age. My first car was a 1966 Dodge Dart, smallest straight 6 they made, no power steering/brakes/windows and no AC. The only option it had was a AM radio. It was a hand-me-down from my Dad when he bought a new car for commuting to work. To me at 16, I loved it and I was lucky to have a car of my own as most of my friends did not have a car. I started working at 14 and saved enough to buy a new Toyota Corolla my 2nd year in college.

My older boy who is not 20 saved up $1200 umpiring Little League games and when he got his license he bought a 93 BMW 318i. He worked hard and saved his money so he could have a car when he got his license. He did not ask others to give him what is basically a luxury for as kid, a car of his own

Your Boxster was totaled due to no fault of your own and you have now been made whole with the insurance settlement. Buy yourself another Boxster and be happy with it. Yes, it is a good idea to get a beater to drive to school. I am sure you can find something for less than the Volvo that runs and is safe. You said you will have extra $$ from the insurance you want to put aside for maintenance. use some of it for a beater and be happy.

Maybe you should have done the salvage things on your old car and what you would have profited would have paid for the beater, who knows.

What you posted does come off as a spoiled kid with a Porsche looking for a handout. I am sure there are many people who would just love to own a Porsche.

Get a job, that is what most of us do when we need money, and use that $$ for what ever you want. Better yet, save a bunch of it and you will be better off in the long run

anyone that just gives you money because of some halfassed website is a fool and brings you down to that level
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #66
2001 Boxster S

Jake, I hear you. I know you think you're idea is great. I know some great things came out of "out of the box" thinking. If you truly believe in your idea, I say go for it!

But for Pete's sake, listen to some good advice coming from smart and experienced people here. The advice about a compelling story? Absolutely true. Many good ideas died because of poor selling. And you are selling (or 'marketing' as you would like to put it) because you want people to buy into your Volvo experiment and give money.

So, if you still want to go for this experiment, then go. Just try to do it as well as you can. Execution is critical. Who knows, if this becomes successful, this could be your ticket to a high paying marketing job?
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post

Here's another question for you to ponder: why do you think the guy asking for money for beer and video games has received donations?
I do feel that my ad was rushed and can be improved on. As with the beer and video games goes, it is likely people quite similar to the guy asking for this money giving it to him. People see how stupid the ad is, and are sending him money, I also am starting to strongly regret the site that I have used for this. I feel that it is very hard to not come off as spoiled when owning a Porsche, i tried to execute the ad in a way that showed how much I respect and like the Volvo and see it as a bargain for something unique and stylish. I think I to an extent have out done myself with owning a Porsche, it is pure joy to own one and maybe cabin fever is getting to me. When I drove past that Volvo on the lot i thought to myself that if I was not blessed enough to be able to afford the Porsche i would likely be in something like that and i would love it just as much. Maybe it is the inevitability that we will always want what we do not have, however, it is a strange flip-side that i see something extravagant in this simple affordable car. It is more so my creative side that wants this than my business side. My business side was more at home when preparing documentation to fight insurance on, liability, proving the car as totaled, and then the value of replacing it. Through this i went from insurance sending me a 5k check and 20% liability to now 0% and a 13k check. I will wait until this weekend when I get my new Boxster, and rethink from their, at that point I will very likely withdraw the current ad, and create a new one on another site. For the time being I have already spread the current ad and will see how it does until Friday.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #68

Garage
The website the ad is currently on is much more locally based. I am also losing interest in the Volvo upon seeking a Volvo forum. Basically i was told the cars are terribly over priced, as expensive as our Porsche is to maintain and I would be better off to buy a camera for the Porsche.

I really like the idea; however, I feel that it would be much easier to go trough this if I felt more strongly about it at this point. I think the time is not right, I will be on the lookout for a cheap Boxster to flip or roller to part out, this is something I have considered multiple times in the past and something I would be much more interested in for funding this project.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 06-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #69

Garage
2000 Porsche Boxster auto

CELs are never that bad on these cars right? 02 sensor or something right? Could buy the car for 7.3k or so, fix the issue, sell it for around 9 here on the forum?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #70
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Just buy the yellow one, fix it and keep it. That color will be sure not to bring any unwanted attention in the parking lot. Plus it may bring Johnny Danger out of hibernation.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #71

Thumbs down Forget it!

Jake, don't you have any self-respect? This idea is blatant begging, just like any panhandler! Get a job. 16 year-olds don't need 1 car, much less 2, and no one else should buy it for you. You should be embarrassed to even think of asking. I'm surprised that you'd even post this idea!

Whew, there, I feel better now !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #72

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Just buy the yellow one, fix it and keep it. That color will be sure not to bring any unwanted attention in the parking lot. Plus it may bring Johnny Danger out of hibernation.
I actually really don't like the color, a bit much for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #73

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Jake, don't you have any self-respect? This idea is blatant begging, just like any panhandler! Get a job. 16 year-olds don't need 1 car, much less 2, and no one else should buy it for you. You should be embarrassed to even think of asking. I'm surprised that you'd even post this idea!

Whew, there, I feel better now !
As I said I could have bought the car but wanted to add a bit or a story to, if I bought a Volvo I bought a beater, if I crowd funded the Volvo I have a rolling story and art peace.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #74
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
As I said I could have bought the car but wanted to add a bit or a story to, if I bought a Volvo I bought a beater, if I crowd funded the Volvo I have a rolling story and art peace.
Piece. The word is piece.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #75

You do not seem to be getting much sympathy

and that is about what I expected and I can't blame them. Nobody likes a beggar especially when there is really no real need (regardless of how you would like to spin it). I know it seems to not be appealing or logical but you will appreciate things 10x more when you have to work for them...get a job.

If you wanted a realistic chance of people donating to your cause, I would have left the make/model of the vehicle you were replacing ambiguous. As soon as you let people know it was a porsche you were shooting yourself in the foot.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #76

Quote:
at that point I will very likely withdraw the current ad,
How about having some dignity and stopping at this point. I mean really..

The more you drag on and make excuses for your begging, the more you solidify yourself on this forum as a brat with a porsche that was never earned in any way.
It's not art, community or a social experiment. It's pathetic.

:ah:
Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 AM   #77

Garage
Not to pile on

But really Jake......

What you are doing is feeding into the "out of touch", "elitest", "entitled", stereotype of a Porsche owner.

I understand that you are pitching it as an art experiment, but whatever your intentions are, perceptions are reality, and the perception is you are being spoiled. It doesn't matter that you are buying the Porsche yourself. What is going to bother, or offend, others is that you are somehow so entitled to own a Porsche at 16, yet too good to drive it to school, so others should purchase a more appropriate vehicle for you. Additionally, when your "request" for funds is so littered with spelling, continuity, structural, and grammatical errors, it really comes off as "I'm too good to even be bothered by you, but fund me".

Finally, when you say that you have a really nice car (a Porsche), but want a beater to drive to school at the age of 16, you are going to anger the vast majority of people who either a) drove a beater at 16, or b) dreamt of owning a beater or any car at 16.

Sorry to keep beating you over the head on this, but it will be one of those things you look back on in a few years and really wonder what you were thinking.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #78
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
How about having some dignity and stopping at this point. I mean really..

The more you drag on and make excuses for your begging, the more you solidify yourself on this forum as a brat with a porsche that was never earned in any way.
It's not art, community or a social experiment. It's pathetic.

:ah:
Since my parents gave me a Porsche and cover insurance, if the public would just chip in and give me a DD to keep the miles down and keep the Porsche safe, life would be grand......after all, that's still less than what my parents spent on my sister!

Sound about right?

Jake...

It's OK that your folks can afford to give you a 986 as your first car. I wish my dad was in that position. Just stop using the term "I own" when "you were given". Show a little respect. Most of us bought our own cars. It is very cool that you chose a 986. Just leave it at that.

It's OK that you come here to ask for help or brag about your car. That's what this site is for....

It's not OK to ask the public (me and everyone else on here) to fund a DD, no matter how creatively you do it. What about single parents with 2 kids and no vehicle? People who need to get to WORK, not school? If you do not pay your own insurance or registration or car payment, how can you justify a second free car from Joe Public? (someday, I promise you will understand this...) If your parents can afford to give you that car and cover insurance, obviously they can afford to pay for my clutch, right? Please ask them and get back to me.

It's not OK to ask for opinions, then brush them off when 99% of them are saying the same thing. Learn to take the advise you are given, even if the entire board does not support this notion of begging for a DD or the oil type you want to use.

Please, re-read your posts and aim for better grammar / English. You will come off as more intelligent, and won't look as young as you are while bragging about how well you do in your English classes.

Last edited by Timco; 06-18-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #79
On the slippery slope

Garage
Jake

You are pretty well liked on theis forum and IMHO most respect you, especially considering your very young age. We like ya kid, but you are rapidly losing points all around. Look back on the response from when your car got trashed. Very different from this subject

Timco is spot on with his comments, others as well
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #80

we were all kids once too. So don't be too hard on Big Jake.

But this a generational thing for sure. I've been having some issues with some millenialls who report to me. I was taken by surprise at how drastically their attitudes on well just about anything involving work and money have changed vs. guys who are about 8-12 years older. I seem to view it this way now: My father is pre war (WWII). My mother is a boomer. The less you had growing up of as far as the basics, the harder it is for you to take what you did not earn and easier you are to please. A small house will do. One TV in the house is not just good enough but a real privilege. A car in the driveway is amazing, no matter the year or model. One vacation every 5 years is something to look forward to. Spending money really is a last resort thing. Having access to any kind of food in the supermarket is winning the birth lottery (unlike a billion living in India).

Then you have the boomers. They grew up with prosperity and an expectation that their lives would get better. All they had to do is work. <--major game change in America. They wanted a somewhat bigger house (still modest), a color TV, a newer car (but still one car). Summer vacations were expected. Interest rates were high so consumption was still capped.

After that it all goes down hill. The better the economy you grew up in, the more you had in the house. Multiple cars, houses with larger foot prints, multiple bathrooms, flat screen TV in multiple rooms, a vacation home or regular out of state trips, toys (atvs, boats, etc.) and waist lines bulged to the point where not just one person in the home is 20 lbs or more overweight but many family are this way. Those millenials who grew up during the economic boom of back to back bull markets (80's and 90's) were all of the above but on steroids. And now we have the the kids that grew up in the 2000's. Their parents (Gen X'ers) gorged on low interest cheap credit and filled the house with all manner of things their incomes could not sustain in the long term. Pizza for Junior's dinner again? "Oh what the hell I'm tired." So now their kids are consumption focused. Very little as far as saving/investing, belt-tightening was imparted on them.
We've gone full circle from the pre-war kids to the Barney generation.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-18-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote