Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Hawaiian Driver

Red Brake Calipers

Any suggestions on keeping them beautiful? Mine are in great shape and I'd like to keep them that way, Thanks

Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Tag , mine have the coating worn off :-(
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Driver View Post
Any suggestions on keeping them beautiful? Mine are in great shape and I'd like to keep them that way, Thanks
1) Never remove a wheel without using the screw in alloy wheel location tool found in the toolkit. Better still, get a second location tool to prevent the wheel tilting & scoring the calipers.

2) You need to remove the wheels to clean the calipers inner and outer (especially the inner surface) the first time you clean them. Once clean, normal shampoo works well.

3) Use a good quality brake cleaner - don't use el-cheapo high acidic cleaners as they will attack the caliper's clear coat & make them go dull.

4) Use a good polish to help repel brake dust - I use a spray on detailer after washing the car for great results.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #4

Recoat

Mine are dull, that way when I got the car. Is there any easy way to re-coat them ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #5

Garage
I refinished just the clear coat as it was pealing off.
I scraped the pealing sections with a plastic scrapper, then cleaned with soap and water. Used an abrasive foam block (Home depot) then washed again.
Then I sprayed a High temp clear coat from Auto parts store and I was very happy with the job. It's been a year and no pealing
I also painted the rotor hats as well to eliminate rust. That was high temp color paint
Did over a couple days to get several coats on with good dry time
Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #6

I agree with the prior comments. With the wheel off, I carefully clean with brake clean and then coat the caliper with RejeX polymer, which repels brake dust. I also painted the rotor hats with a high temp Titanium spray paint, which really cleans up the whole look. Good luck!

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #7

Give me a name of a good brake dust remover - I used Meguiar's Hot Wheels and now all 4 clear coats are peeling.....
Old 06-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
M31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Mine are dull, that way when I got the car. Is there any easy way to re-coat them ??
Mine were also dull when I got the car. I've tried many products that did a good job of cleaning them but in the end still left them dull. Just for the heck of it I tried something that I use on my black BBQ lid that makes it shine like you wouldn't believe so I tried olive oil applied with paper towel and the red callipers shine like they just left the factory! The rear wheels are easy but the front ones have a much tighter working area so I do one part of them and move the car about 2-3 inches before doing the rest. Only down side is I have to wash hands before moving the car since they get all messy with the olive oil.
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

Garage
Really? How long does it last? That sounds like one of those too-good-to-be-true things.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
M31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
Really? How long does it last? That sounds like one of those too-good-to-be-true things.
I know it sounds too good to be true but I swear it works! Just a light coat is all you need and I find it lasts 2-3 weeks or until the next washing... then just re-apply some more.

M31 is offline   Reply With Quote