Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Question Anyone ever hear/seen a boxster drag car/build?

Just for fun, I decided to search "boxster drag car" and nothing came up. I am fully aware that the car wasn't originally intended for this kind of racing, but the same goes with majority of the cars you see straight line racing these days. Anyone ever hear of a boxster drag build? With the car being so light and solid, I figure it's somewhat of a good platform for a drag build. With Renegade hybrids offering their LS conversion kit. The idea of having a 600-700hp naturally aspirated LSx engine in the Boxster seems bad*ss. Just imagine seeing/hearing a camming Boxster driving around on slicks and skinnies.

What are your guys' thoughts/ opinions.. Or has anyone ever hear or seen this idea anywhere?

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Garage
How much power you can hook up to the pavement is the key. You would be far better off starting with a 911 for that reason. At the local autocross this last weekend I marveled at the 991 Turbo S takeoff the way it squated perfectly, I assume it was using launch control.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #3

Assuming the car's springs and shocks are changed to a drag racing setup and the rear transaxle remains stock style(given the transmission holds and axles replaced with beefier ones). The car should hook fairly well, in theory. Also considering a good amount of the weight of the car is already near the rear. It's been proven as well that an IRS style rear hooks up pretty well(03-04 Cobra). There's also slicks or drag radials to help too.

Last edited by Top_Ramen; 06-05-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #4

Just really playing with the idea, but I mean considering the 986 platform, it doesn't seem far-fetched.