Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #41

EDIT: double post.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Last edited by Porschekid; 03-07-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I'm waiting for a digital format that's both portable and audiophile-quality. MP3s really screw up the sound stage and highs no matter what compression setting I set them up with. The day all audio distribution happens on MP3 files instead of a plastic platter will be the day I roll up into a fetal position and rock myself gently into oblivion.
Really? I have an MP3 jukebox that replaced the changer in my Audi and I must say that most MP3's sound incredible on the Bose system in there. Especially live songs where I can hear things like the pick rattle on the guitar strings, etc. Crisp, clear highs, booming lows, plenty of midrange... I think it would take quite an expensive sound system to hear any difference. I rip them from the originals at only around 128kbps I believe.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #43

Well I'm not so much talking about "in the car", more "in the home" where I have a very nice two-channel setup in my living room. But even in a car, if you have the proper audio setup you would be able to hear the deficiencies in MP3 quality. The stock Bose system isn't going to reveal much.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I recently read somewhere that your old "Hi-Fi" equipment could be worth a lot of money! I guess there's a huge market out there.
You do see that stuff auctioned off on Christie's quite often!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I'm waiting for a digital format that's both portable and audiophile-quality. MP3s really screw up the sound stage and highs no matter what compression setting I set them up with. The day all audio distribution happens on MP3 files instead of a plastic platter will be the day I roll up into a fetal position and rock myself gently into oblivion.
Apple's format sounds much better. I tend to be pretty discriminating for sound quality and I think the iPod sounds pretty darn good.

And as far as MP3 sound quality goes, you can pick 'em out on the cheapest pair of headphones you can find if you know what to listen for. In pop/rock music generally the sound of the cymbals are a dead giveaway.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #46

Yes, Apple's lossless format is pretty good, but it's hardly portable. The files are an order of magnitude larger and drain the battery of an iPod that much faster.

I could see it becoming a distribution format someday perhaps, but it'd take a lot of commitment from many parties with conflicting interests.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #47
olly986

i fought mp3 was near obsolete and the thing to go for now is mp4

no one can reproduce the cracks and wizz of an original vinyl, call me weird but i love it!!