Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #1

The only thing that annoys me with 986...

when the roof is wet (common here in the UK)

I open the door to get in and the slightest vibration sends large beads of water dripping off the roof onto me as there is no 'gutter' running down the side of the roof.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
that is a feature

Don't have that problem here in sunny San Diego
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

And if your window is open and you run the wipers - it pushes it to the side then falls into the car through the open window regardless if you're at a stop or at speed.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

I have often had the same thought, my windows are almost always down if the top is up. Water pours right in.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
that is a feature

Don't have that problem here in sunny San Diego
Lol! It is even sunnier here in Sacramento!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
Lol! It is even sunnier here in Sacramento!
Yea, but it gets stupidly hot in Sacto too
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

Oh, buck up. Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz? Are you the wicked witch of the west? Will you melt if you get wet? You Brits have anything better than the Hun? I don't think so.

Let me see, you Brits have the best food in the world, well maybe not. Brit food is boiled , starchy, dreary fare. The fish and chips are good, probably the only palatable food other then the great Indian, French and Thai food. Oh, but those would be foreign foods.

So, lets explore Queen Elizabeths's (is that the name of your current Royal accident of sperm that claims supreme power because of pedigree?) cars. Well, the Jaguar E type is, without a doubt, one of the most sublime autos ever made. More pretty than the Italian cars of the era, as fast or faster than the Hun (read Porsche) cars.

But that was decades ago. After the Jaguar, you had the wonderful Triumph and MG. Purchasers of these new cars would go back to the dealer and complain that the car was leaking a pint of oil a week. The dealer would tell them " Oh yes, the car definitley has a problem, it should be leaking at least a QUART of oil a week" And of course, Brit cars had the wonderful Lucas electronics. Lucas, the prince of darkness. Why wasn't there a notice on the dash that read, WARNING, use lights only during daylight hours?

So yes, the sun never set on the Empire, but that was decades ago. Times are different now. The Hun makes a great car, so unless the Brits have something better than the Porsche, don't blame Germans for for the Empire's crappy weather.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #8

Phew......
Spoken like a true Anglophile San !!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #9

Almost a racist rant! Let's congratulate the 'Huns'
for the IMSB too.
God bless America!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #10

The thing that impressed me when I first looked at a Boxster was the well engineered plastic extrusion that the top of the window entered into.Have a look at any other convertible, have a look at the pathetic detailing in this area.
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 AM   #11

I thought in the UK people drive in the rain with the top down all the time?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc88 View Post
Almost a racist rant! Let's congratulate the 'Huns'
for the IMSB too.
God bless America!
It's all in jest, Tom. Just poking a little fun. I guess my sense of humor is a little sharp. I actually admire the th UK. The English are really wonderful,people that have extended great courtesies to me when I have visited.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #13

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
If you are going 120 km/h you don't get wet with the top down until it starts to build up and run down the side windows haha. There have been a few spot showers where I have said **************** it and just drove through. Red lights can be a problem though.....
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #14

the world is awesome, just went to sign lease on a new office, and the Landlord also has a 986 S - so now we are best buddies!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #15

As long as we are on the short list of things we don't like about our cars, the distance on the remote entry is lousy. My wifes 4 runner will unlock from 30 yards. Such a minor thing but a small inconvenience.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #16

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ashmyster79
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
It's all in jest, Tom. Just poking a little fun. I guess my sense of humor is a little sharp. I actually admire the th UK. The English are really wonderful,people that have extended great courtesies to me when I have visited.
Haha I preferred the first version and I am British. We moan about everything. Starts with the weather, then with the car on the way to work, we look for fault and are happy when we find them.. We moan at work and the hours we do, then we moan on the way home as it's late and not seen the kids then we get served up boiled food by the wife so we moan at her

We then go to have a shower and the boiler has stopped working so a cold one at best then in to bed for Groundhog Day tomorrow.

Oh look it's raining out. Better not get in the car I will get wet
Ashmyster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisabadman986 View Post
As long as we are on the short list of things we don't like about our cars, the distance on the remote entry is lousy. My wifes 4 runner will unlock from 30 yards. Such a minor thing but a small inconvenience.
There is a technical bulletin that describes how to change the antennea in the drivers A arm pillar. It might be applicable to your car.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
This thread is amusing. It tells us a lot about not only the Boxster but about the owners.
Speaking of the weather getting in I used to have a Morris 8 Tourer in the UK in 1965.
The car was built in 1935. When it snowed the snow used to enter the gap in the sidescreens and snow used to blow around the car on the inside.

Perhaps if you have not known adversity then water dripping on you is a start.
The Boxster has its own set of problems. Latest is windshield washer fluid ends up on the ground when filling. Cam deviation sensor code light(sensor is on order).Water pump is on order even though the old one is still working.

Sometimes I think that I should just get something new. Not a Porsche. Not willing to put out that kind of money.

There is a lot to be said about the UK that is good. Great people(of course like here some better than others). Great pubs. Food overall at restaurants has improved.Weather is awful. Great scenery when it is not raining.

Thanks for listening. You are a great audience. My wife not so much when the Boxster has issues...Cheers, Guy
PS . San Renchko you have redeemed yourself with your second post....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #19

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ashmyster79
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
This thread is amusing. It tells us a lot about not only the Boxster but about the owners.
Speaking of the weather getting in I used to have a Morris 8 Tourer in the UK in 1965.
The car was built in 1935. When it snowed the snow used to enter the gap in the sidescreens and snow used to blow around the car on the inside.

Perhaps if you have not known adversity then water dripping on you is a start.
The Boxster has its own set of problems. Latest is windshield washer fluid ends up on the ground when filling. Cam deviation sensor code light(sensor is on order).Water pump is on order even though the old one is still working.

Sometimes I think that I should just get something new. Not a Porsche. Not willing to put out that kind of money.

There is a lot to be said about the UK that is good. Great people(of course like here some better than others). Great pubs. Food overall at restaurants has improved.Weather is awful. Great scenery when it is not raining.

Thanks for listening. You are a great audience. My wife not so much when the Boxster has issues...Cheers, Guy
PS . San Renchko you have redeemed yourself with your second post....
Ahhh I feel proud to be British. Just when I thought we were in for a bashing you guys have redeemed yourselves

It's not that grey though.......is it?
Ashmyster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #20

A plastic rear window in a pre 2003 $50K car annoys me. The newer top on my 2001 has a glass one thankfully, but what was Porsche thinking?

Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote