Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #41
On the slippery slope

Garage
Better make sure they don't have a shop cat
LOL

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #42
Rookie

Garage
Was going to place an online order with Pelican for their Pelican IMS update kit but it says wont ship for four days. Is this everyones experience with this kit, a long delay? Im also ordering the LN Engineering Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS) Puller/Counterstay as no one I have contacted on this forum has gotten back to me about a loaner, at least not anyone that can ship within the next day or two. No biggie but when reading the Technical Article on R/R of the IMSB it referrers to a "bearing installation tool" also. A search of the forum and Pelican Parts didnt reveal that tool, can someone help me out with where to find the "installation tool?" Just trying to make sure my indie will have everything he needs...

I had also searched for cam shaft plugs (two will have to be removed for my 2002 box), no results. Kinda strange as the kit doesnt include them and according to the Tech Article you pretty much destroy them removing them.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #43

Garage
The '04 911 I recently purchased was from the Portland area. I had the PPI done at Sunset Porsche, the originating dealer for the car. I worked with Rachel and Richard Grant in their service dept., both were helpful, professional and the PPI was right on the money. Also, the previous owner was most recently taking the car to Stuttgart Autotech, again most professional from the service receipts.

I agree with other comments made. Do basic sound mechanical work, drive to get to know your car, branch out from there.

Congrats, good luck, I love my Porsches.
'04 Boxster S Special Edition #397
'04 911 40th Anniversary Edition #940
'06 Cayman S
BugsFerBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #44
Rookie

Garage
Thanks. So far Ive done new tires, Michelin AS3s. I also got a 1/4" dent removed from the rear rim, amazing improvement in the ride quality. Ive spoke to Stuttgart Autotech but theyve not done any work for me as of yet. So the parts to be delivered to the indie on Monday is the Pelican IMS kit, 2 cam shaft plugs, rear main seal kit, 10 quarts of 20w-50 and an oil filter. Also purchased the LN bearing removal tool and the oil filter removal tool from Pelican. Making sure the indie has everything he needs for both parts and tools. Only thing remaining will be to send off my oil sample to Blackstone Labs and a four wheel alignment. Runs really well but have been keeping the RPM below 4k until the leaking RMS issue is resolved. Cant wait, its amazing what tires and getting that rim fixed has done to my ride quality and milage, Im now right at 27 mpg , pretty amazing for a car 50 miles from 100k

Last edited by TypeA; 06-12-2014 at 07:24 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #45
Rookie

Garage
Got the Box back today with a new RMS and Pelican IMS bearing. Lot paid for the RMS so the mechanic charged me $200 labor for the bearing and oil change. He also pulled an oil sample for me so that will be going off to Blackstone for analysis. Almost no service history on the car but this trip to the mech revealed three things:

The tech order from Porsche on the RMS and associated bolts was never done on this car, it is now.

The water pump is original and is not leaking at all, not even a little.

And the IMS bearing that came with the car was completely intact and in good working order. No slop and spins smoothly as you would expect. Bearing info on the side indicates "NSK 782 (I think its a 2, might be 788) 6204DU17 England." If anyone knows what those indicate, like if its the original bearing, it would be appreciated.

So thats some major stuff done on my new ride; new clutch, RMS, IMSB and tires.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #46
Beginner

Garage
For my money that is the original IMSB. Excellent choices for work on your car! Enjoy the ride. Like me, you chose a steel ball bearing replacement. it will need to be replaced like a timing belt would. My personal philosophy is every 50K miles or, after the car has been stored. 50K miles for wear, storage for corrosion (which is worse than wear). Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary. Enjoy the heck out of your car!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #47
Beginner

Garage
The NSK website will tell you what the codes mean.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #48
Damn Yankee

Garage
Deleted post - wrong thread.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #49
Rookie

Garage
Im considering a set of rims, stock 1999 911 wheels front 7.5J 18-ET50 11J 18-ET65 to go on my 02 Boxster base. Im told the fronts worked on a boxster but the rears required a spacer (tire was hitting the shock). Is this true and are spacers recommended? He gave me a part number on the spacers he has and claims the spacers are made by porsche but the part number doesnt come up in a google search. Number on the spacers he gave me is 980 341 611 00 and theyre 7/8 inch thick. Ive been told that your lug nut studs end up being too short with the spacers installed, is this true as well?

Last edited by TypeA; 07-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #50
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Im considering a set of rims, stock 1999 911 wheels front 7.5J 18-ET50 11J 18-ET65 to go on my 02 Boxster base. Im told the fronts worked on a boxster but the rears required a spacer (tire was hitting the shock). Is this true and are spacers recommended? He gave me a part number on the spacers he has and claims the spacers are made by porsche but the part number doesnt come up in a google search. Number on the spacers he gave me is 980 341 611 00 and theyre 7/8 inch thick. Ive been told that your lug nut studs end up being too short with the spacers installed, is this true as well?
Spacers are common. I have 5mm stock all the way around. I think some guys run 15mm. Yes, needs longer studs.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #51

Garage
Smile

Congrats on the Boxster. Personally my advice to anyone is either you need a boat load of money to pay someone to fix it or you need to fix it yourself. Since I am cheap and don't trust anyone I have done most work on my car myself. I recommend starting with routine maintenance since you have no idea what was done to the car prior to your ownership. I was in the same boat no documentation. Basics, air filter and based on my research on the forums not K&N, fuel filter, spark plugs and perhaps change out the plug tubes, oil change(in the trunk the sticker says mobil 1 so I bought 2 5 gallon containers of mobil 1 from Wal-Mart and an oil cartridge and for less than $60 I changed my oil. I also did a brake job, new rotors, ceramic brake pads, sensors, ebay $225 my labor. I purchased the durametric software $300 sometimes you can find someone who is selling one on one of the forums for less. the enthusiast version will allow you to use it on 3 unique cars its a great tool to check to make sure you systems are working correctly. I would check to see if the coolant fans are working properly and the engine bay fan. I found my right fan wasn't working at all and binding and blowing fuses and eventually fried a row of fuses, $8 part $450 to diagnose and fix at local Porsche dealer. I subscribe to several forums for info. the people on these forums are terrific and you can learn a lot from their pain and share some of your with people like you. I buy parts from a variety of sources Pelican being one of them. However, they being west coast and me being east coast sometimes I don't want to wait and so look for more local suppliers but they usually have parts in-stock and are very helpful over the phone. Pedros is another great site his DIY are great and he is more of a DIY/hack like me so between those to sites and various forums you can usually get an answer. I too would like to add some aftermarket rims and the like but for now normal maintenance is keeping me busy. until you get the car sorted out I suggest you save your money. there will be plenty of unexpected repairs that you will HAVE to bring to local repair shop. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but I am a realist. We enjoy our Boxster a great deal like one of the family but they do get expensive and after all its all about DRIVING them. Oh yeah, I bought a factory hardtop and speedster humps, I HAD to have them so not all of my spending was logical and practical. keep us posted on your experiences and ENJOY!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #52
Rookie

Garage
Thanks to you both on the input. These rims are craigslist specials, $500 for the set in excellent shape (zero road rash). So yeah for that price I must admit I was tempted. As for the zero records advice and making maintenance stuff first, I have certainly done so. So far in my 3k miles of ownership Ive done the IMS bearing, rear main seal, Michelin AS3's on all four corners and oil change. Car got a new clutch just before I bought it. Ive also done some small stuff, replaced the broken black Boxster emblem on the trunk with a chrome one, replaced hood emblem, replaced center caps on the existing 17" turbo twist rims and desnokled.

Got a cubby to replace the 5 disk changer in the dash and replaced the black covers in the frunk that cover the wiper motors and battery, these small cosmetic parts were courtesy of Woody in Texas, great guy with excellent prices.

Today was a guilty pleasure though, right now the Box is getting a Kenwood 690 double din professionally installed. Includes navigation, hands free phone and backup camera (I went with the Esky EC170-08 camera). Went with the Del Rey Customs install kit so it will say "Porsche" on the trim. Also having them replace my cigarette lighter with a female usb receptacle. Ive tried to concentrate on maintenance stuff but, honestly, cosmetic and convenience stuff can drive me nuts and I end up making it my own to fix it immediately. Already installed one "Ultimate Cup holder" in anticipation of losing my Porsche cup holders (gotta have at least one cupholder) to the double din being installed as we speak.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #53
Rookie

Garage
Is finding a used Seal Grey hard top for my 02 gonna be really hard? Any suggestions on where I should be looking? Craigslist never seems to have much in my area. What are my options on a aftermarket design? How would the fit be? All I find on the "Zeintop" is that they went out of business, and Im not fond of spending 3k+ unless its just unavoidable. Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by TypeA; 08-03-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #54

TypeA, you'll probably end up doing what many others do. Buy a factory top in any color when the price is right and have it painted.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 AM   #55

Hardtop

I just paid $1600 for a top. Mint shape but wrong color.There hard to find in Canada. All it did need was a new cover for the latch.
Attached Images

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #56
2002 Boxster S

Garage
That top looks great as it is!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #57
Rookie

Garage
Hey looking for a outdoor cover for the Boxster and I have found a couple of what, I think, are OEM Porsche covers. But a google search reveals squat. From my searches I know the NOAH cover is a recommended alternative for the OEM cover but I found this in my local area craigslist....

porsche boxster cover

Is $140 a good deal? Just as good as the more expensive NOAH? I also found another OEM just like it, he wants $200.
Not looking for a 'dust cover' but more an outdoor cover for UV and rain protection (as good as I can get anyway). Is this cover in the link I provided a Porsche OEM cover? Is it outdoor? Is it the best option in that price range?